Hatches for the JAM

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

We're almost a week out and it's time to make sure everyone's ready for the JAM fishing. I'll add a few bits of information on my past fishing during this event and maybe some of the locals can fit in the specifics as the event approaches. The cold weather has put the hatches back a bit but we'll see what the next week does.

Looks like Penns is just now starting to see the March Browns. They're MUCH bigger here than many streams across the state. A solid size 10. There's always 10 other hatches going on at any time at Penns, but also be prepared with some blue wings and caddis.

Spring has it's blue wings size 16-20 going now but hopefully the sulphurs will pop any day. I fish a size 16 this time of year but I know others who go one up or down on that.

Others can chime in on other local streams and also make sure you have your small stream flies as there's many options in the area if you like chasing brookies or browns in the little blue lines.

Can't wait to see the old familiar faces and a few new ones next week!

thanks for the info, garnering through the threads and books it seems this is the hatches to expect (or not..)

March Brown #10
Light Cahill #14
Brown Caddis #14/16
Sulphur #16/18

im bringing the above in nymphs, soft hackles, emergers, klinks, dries, comparaduns, spinners and some hot head parachute adams.

Olives are done. For now....

Still early for cahills too

I had a dream last night that the only thing hatching were nymphs. It was a nightmare. I expect March Browns. But I will prepare for sulfurs (bigger ones), various caddis and Hendricksons. If something else takes over, I'll visit the fly shop.

Just take rusty spinners and salted minnows Jack. One of the two will work ;-)

I bet Jack will be fishing the knob creek hatch........

Re: Hatches for the JAM by dryflyguy on 2014/5/8 23:10:20 I bet Jack will be fishing the knob creek hatch........

Mmmm.....that's good stuff!!!

No olives (well, no major hatch, I think there's a few 365 days/year, but this is a down period). No cahills.

Sulfurs have started and will be ramping up. March Browns should be prime. That's the blockbusters. No major caddis but there's always a few and they can be effective. Could be some remnant Hendricksons.

For evenings, rusty spinners in sizes 10-18 should cover you!

Where are the Sulphurs? I thought I saw one Wednesday on the YB but none the previous 2 days on Penns.

There will be sulphurs.

Where are the Sulphurs? I thought I saw one Wednesday on the YB but none the previous 2 days on Penns.

I'm hearing that they've started on the Breeches, but haven't put eyes on it yet. Was on the Letort last night and saw a grand total of 6 or 8 pop up and float by, two of which got eaten. Picked up two small browns along the way, one on a partridge and orange, another on a dry....they're coming.

Sulphurs have started on Spring.

http://www.streamconditions.com/StreamConditions_Spring_Conditions1.cfm

They probably have not started on Penns just yet, it's usually a week or so behind Spring.

For Penns, the Feathered Hook is reporting March Browns in addition to Hendricksons, Red Quills, grannom egg layers, tan caddis, crane flies, blue quills, and quill gordons. They've got a picture of a March Brown up, taken yesterday.

I would guess as we move into the weekend and next week most of those will fade in importance, while March Browns will be ramping up and take the dominate position. Sulfers will start.

the sulphurs i see every year are bigger than 16/18.

i usually use a 12 partridge and yellow

shakey wrote:
the sulphurs i see every year are bigger than 16/18.

i usually use a 12 partridge and yellow

I'd imagine that since the Spring has been cold we'll see the bigger ones. 14s and 16s on Spring Ck. Size 2s on Penns ;-)

turkey,please don't let it get out that you've seen me have success with a P&Y on penns!!! i don't want people getting the wrong impression!!

Hello,
Brand Newbie here.

What is the JAM if I may ask.

Joe

Welcome, it is a weekend where a campground is selected to gather anyone who wants to come and make a weekend of it. It involves fly fishing in the best area of PA for wild trout. It's a blasty-blast.

Back