Hatch Box

ian_brown

ian_brown

The thread on creating a ten fly box got me thinking about putting together a small hatch-matching box. My choices are inspired inspired by the restricted patterns in Charles Meck’s “The Hatches Made Simple.”

Comparaduns (because my Catskills look like they were tied by a drunk five year-old):

Adams (medium gray) 12 – 20

March Brown (light brown) 8 – 20

BWO Dun (medium olive) 12 – 20

Light Cahill (cream) 8 – 20

Willow Special (dark brown) 12 – 16

Spinners:

Cream 10 – 20

Tan 12 – 20

Rusty 10 – 18

Dark brown 10 – 22

Dark olive 12 – 20

I'm not sure what to do about caddis, stones, and midges.

Nice list!

To jump in...

I like to use Lime Trudes for the lil' yellow sallie hatch. I know it sounds nuts, but I've done really, really well with them and just awful with the traditional patterns.

I like a orange bodied stimulator in a 14 or so for the medium brown stone That or a large royal wulff.

The big black stones are fairly rare, and since they hatch and lay their eggs at night, they are not a good dry for me. But there are a number of good nymph patterns out there.

I like the idea of elk hair caddis in a variety of colors for the different caddis hatches, but I usually only carry them in tan and brown, 14 through 18. I like the poobah for a pupae and the green weenie or a peeking caddis for the nymph.

My favorite midge patterns are a bivisible and a little nymph emerger I tie that's just some red floss tied in behind the eye of the hook and trailed back over the shank, then you finish it off with 3 or 4 winds of peacock hurl.

Back