« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: Guide Tipping

the guide that makes "50-60k" a year is a trustifarian with a 50-60k allowance

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:02

From Central Maryland
Quote:
DMT wrote:

This thread has reaffirmed my belief that guides don't make anywhere near enough money for spending 8+ hours a day with some of the people involved in this sport.

Amen to this. I've been hanging out and fishing with some guides since I've been out in Montana (when they have a day off, once every two weeks), and it has certainly made me give up any dreams I had of trying to stay out here and be a guide. It's not easy work, and they sure as hell aren't making 50-60k. What a joke.

pwk, I hope for the guide's sake that you hold off on booking one and just learn the Yough on your own if it's so easy.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:07

From D-Town
I am a fly fishing guide in Pennsylvania and I cannot even comment on the tipping but I must say I find it extremely embarrassing to stiff somebody on a tip. I have told quite a few friends to take a hike after going out and seeing how cheap they are. I really like cheapskates said nobody ever!

On a side note, I saw someone say that weed or booze would be good enough for a guide.... if it were me and you offered me weed or booze, I would throw you out of my car while it was moving and not even look in my rear view mirror to see if you were okay. I swear there is a Forrest Gump saying about you out there somewhere, lol.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:45

From Tyrone
PatrickC,
I fish almost everyday come on out. No tip necessary with social security, a small military disability pension, my wife's retirement and all the money I saved from guiding I'll buy lunch.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:56

From NE OH
Quote:

gfoledc wrote:
PatrickC,
I fish almost everyday come on out. No tip necessary with social security, a small military disability pension, my wife's retirement and all the money I saved from guiding I'll buy lunch.

PRICELESS!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:58

From NE OH
I do need to get out there again. You are right smack in the center of PA trout goodness!

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:59

"Guide Tipping"

Is guide tipping anything like cow tipping?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:01

From NE OH
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
"Guide Tipping"

That's the exact 1st thing that went through my head when I 1st saw this thread. Good stuff!

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:03

From tully
I can only help but wonder in amazement that this has gone for 8 pages. I know the local shops all glance at this board. I would believe right now they , as they read this thread , they are cringing at the thought of taking a tightwad few on a trip, busting their ass, weather and fish not cooperating, then getting stiffed. Hell of a prospect .

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:04

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

sundertrout wrote:
I can only help but wonder in amazement that this has gone for 8 pages. I know the local shops all glance at this board. I would believe right now they , as they read this thread , they are cringing at the thought of taking a tightwad few on a trip, busting their ass, weather and fish not cooperating, then getting stiffed. Hell of a prospect .

I'm certainly not gonna shed a tear for them.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:10

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
"Guide Tipping"

OMG. I called Old Lefty this morning and asked him the same thing!

He laughed.

DMT - Your post wins the thread. Two thumbs up for you, sir.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:11

From Eastern PA
Quote:

NickR wrote:
On a side note, I saw someone say that weed or booze would be good enough for a guide.... if it were me and you offered me weed or booze, I would throw you out of my car while it was moving and not even look in my rear view mirror to see if you were okay.

The actual quote from another poster was along the lines of "if you read the forums at The Drake, you would think booze and weed is all the tip you would need.". It was a joke that some folks didn't get. However, if you go on The Drakes boards you will find a very prevalent culture of the west coast guides who are very big fans of booze and weed and therein lies the joke.

So you are saying that you are not guiding me this weekend?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:12

From Dauphin PA
I definitely don't envy the guides. On a slow river like the Delaware, you might share a pool with 4-5 drift boats. As I'm anchored up eating a granola bar, I watch what's going on in the guide boats. Looking at some of these clients, you'd have a better chance of teaching Stephen Hawking to double haul than have one of these guys hit a hula hoop at 15'. I think I'm quite personable (in spite of being a d-bag). I also enjoy helping other anglers but don't think I could hang with what those guys see every day. I think Brandon had a guy stick almost a dozen flies in his shirt & hat while guiding. Made the guy move to the other end of the boat. LOL

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:46

From Lobachsville, PA
I will if Nick won't...
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

NickR wrote:
On a side note, I saw someone say that weed or booze would be good enough for a guide.... if it were me and you offered me weed or booze, I would throw you out of my car while it was moving and not even look in my rear view mirror to see if you were okay.

The actual quote from another poster was along the lines of "if you read the forums at The Drake, you would think booze and weed is all the tip you would need.". It was a joke that some folks didn't get. However, if you go on The Drakes boards you will find a very prevalent culture of the west coast guides who are very big fans of booze and weed and therein lies the joke.

So you are saying that you are not guiding me this weekend?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 19:58

From D-Town
Jdaddy,

If you offered me some meth then we could talk business.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 20:18

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com