Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: Guide Tipping

From Lehigh Valley PA
thanks for all the opinions... Now just hope the trip isn't a total bust. Big Hole is closed between hours of 2pm and Midnight due to high water temps, so hopefully the Beaverhead will produce some fish....

Probably not a good sign when none of the fly shops have updated their fishing reports since beginning of July... but it was the only time I could get away.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 12:40

From Landenberg, PA
hit the headwaters and/or spring creeks.

you might not be hitting 'famous' rivers but i bet the fishing is still fabulous compared to back East....

Posted on: 2013/7/24 12:42

From Philadelphia PA
Moderators: After careful consideration, If you would please remove my negative comments from this post. I feel that I have stepped on some toes of those who like to step on other's toes with no remorse.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 12:54
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Ohio
Quote:
Plan on $50 per man. Add or subtract from there based on effort.

I agree with PK. When I went out to Jackson Hole last summer I asked several guide friends of mine how much I should tip for the couple of floats I went on, their advice was start with $100 per trip and adjust from there based on the guides effort and your expierence. I had good expierences so I tipped $100 per trip.

Almost all guides are independant contractors. They get a small piece of what you pay the outfitter for the trip, but most of the fee goes to the outfitter. The guides pretty much depend on tips to make their living.

I hope that helps.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 12:57

From Schuylkill County

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:05
if you look at it right...

From Berks County
Tips are always a touchy subject. I never hired a guide so I don't know what is the acceptable amount. I would think that a total tip of $100 per party per day would be suffice. I'm assuming there are multiple people within one party. If I was by myself I would only tip $50 and feel good about it. I don't think anyone gets into the guide profession to get rich. So if a guide makes an extra $100 (in cash) a day, that is good money considering he probably guides 5 days a week in season.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:33

From York & Starlight, PA
"I know this will tick some people off, but here it goes. Why a tip period. I mean, your paying $425 for the trip, correct? Its not exactly cheap but if someones willing to pay God bless ya. Do you tip the mechanic who repairs your car, the guy that cuts your lawn, do you tip your lawyer(oops!)we could go on and on. Your paying what the service provider is asking. If the guide is an employee, the employer should provide the proper wage."

You tip a guide for his knowledge, his skill in not only handling the boat but also putting you on good riffs if you nymph or finding rising fish. You shouldn't compare guide tipping with having a mechanic fix your car. Do you tip the wait person when you go out to dinner with your family?

Also the cost of the float may be $425 but if he just works for an outfitter he will probably get no more than $100 for his eight hours of busting his butt rowing you down river, changing your flies, and putting up with your poor line management skills (not you personally) $12.50 an hour is not exactly a great wage so that is why tipping is the right thing to do. If you don't want to tip you shouldn't be going on a float. Except of course if the guide is a drunk or does not know the water where you are fishing and overall you have a lousy day that can be attributed solely to the guides inepptitude. Then you might not want to tip. BTW if you are going to use the same guide for more than one day you could just wait until the last day to give him the gratuity. If you give it to him day by day, and he isn't pleased with the sum, he might work less than if you wait until the end.

I've only used a guide a few times in fifty years and would never, ever, tip more than $50 per day whether there was one or two anglers.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:36

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Why is it the sports responsibility if the guide negotiated a crap contract with an outfitter? If guide feels he is being underpaid by outfitter he can go out on his own or go work for someone else.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:12

From Philadelphia PA
What does a guide do during off season?

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:19
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Clearville Pa
Quote:

wbranch wrote:

Also the cost of the float may be $425 but if he just works for an outfitter he will probably get no more than $100 for his eight hours of busting his butt rowing you down river, changing your flies, and putting up with your poor line management skills (not you personally) $12.50 an hour is not exactly a great wage so that is why tipping is the right thing to do. If you don't want to tip you shouldn't be going on a float. Except of course if the guide is a drunk or does not know the water where you are fishing and overall you have a lousy day that can be attributed solely to the guides inepptitude. Then you might not want to tip. BTW if you are going to use the same guide for more than one day you could just wait until the last day to give him the gratuity. If you give it to him day by day, and he isn't pleased with the sum, he might work less than if you wait until the end.

I've only used a guide a few times in fifty years and would never, ever, tip more than $50 per day whether there was one or two anglers.

if i tip him and he isnt please with the sum and doesnt work as hard then he didnt deserve the tip in the beginning

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:21

From LV
To be clear my attitude toward tipping in no way reflects what I actually do when out. I just resent that employers don't seem to pay a liveable wage and that I not only play for the service but then have to pay the extra. It's just not right.
I'll admit that if it's a 1 guy operation he should get more but then why not charge more if you're that good.
Apologies to Old Lefty if I somehow offended him.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:54

From Jersey Shore, PA
Since I'm known for calling a spade a spade and I also don't believe in the concept of political correctness; however, I do believe in maintaining some degree of civility, I must say that those who question the whole idea of tipping have that freedom to do so. In fact, if the feeling is so strong perhaps you may want to consider a campaign to change that part of the angling culture.

As this discussion continues I'm seeing more and more that some folks are quite ready to comment with having, at best, only mere bits of information upon which to rely. Comments including such bits as "guide negotiated a crap contract" are obviously made without any knowledge whatsoever of what the culture is. A comment like this exposes an incredible degree incorrect assumption at the very least. Too, considering what was conveyed in a previous post, the question about what a guide does in the off-season has me highly suspicious of the motive behind the question.

I still believe that it is appropriate to compare a fly fishing guide with a technician or professional. I'll readily admit that I don't have any real knowledge of what a golf caddie does so I can't compare. I do, however, have quite a bit of knowledge of what a good fly fishing guide does. I also have my own personal experience of having been in a position of employment which required a vast knowledge of regulations and the ability to apply those regulations to a caseload. It was accepted that to reach a journeyman's level of proficiency required 3 years in the position. In many respects guiding is similar.

Guiding fly fishers is not just a matter of pointing to where a fish may be holding and saying to a client "have at it." It isn't something that you just decide one day you're going to go out and do and expect to be a good guide. It takes an investment of time and effort to develop the level of skill necessary to provide a high quality experience for the client.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:22

From Clearville Pa
i have guided a far amount of hunts, yea i have gotten good tips and no tips...but even if a guy told me that he wasnt going to tip me it wouldnt change my game plan at all...i would still bust my butt to get them that animal....everytime i guide i dont go into the mind set of getting alot of tips, i know that im going to get paid no matter what and if the hunter feels like i have done good enuff for a tip then awesome...i also know that hunts/fishing trips arent cheap at all and maybe they cant afford to tip which is fine with me also, the key thing is its their trip that they paid there hard earn money for and they should get the best experience from it as then can

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:32

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:
It takes an investment of time and effort to develop the level of skill necessary to provide a high quality experience for the client.

which is appreciated - BUT why not just say $450 including tip ?

I charge X per day, i don't ask or expect a tip on top. i'm expected to do my job well at the rate asked.

isn't it the guides job to provide a high quality experience for $200 per person $400 a float ?

I'm kind of with Chaz here, being European i don't expect to tip for crappy service (unless i'm in France), but a tip seems built in these days for good service when good service should be the norm.

can't you make the argument that if you need a tip to do anything at a high quality then you're kind of defeating the whole 'service' ethic ?

and again, if you charge me a lower rate i'll tip you more, but charge me $400 a day, fuggeddabout it...

I understand that guides want to make a living, but on the other hand they get to live in a beautiful place, not commute, not be stuck 14 hours a day in a cube, get free fishing gear, AND they get to take people fishing six days a week for 7 months a year...

too many guides today are 'professionals' jumping from one $400 a day gig out west, down to OBX and then over to FL or the Bahamas for more of the same, and then back again.

those guys i'm not gonna tip - but the guys who live in the woods, tye flies, chop wood, hunt, plough snow and make ends meet, hell yeah they are the guys i'll hire at $150 a day and tip em well ($30).

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:52

From Philadelphia PA
OldLefty,
I'm not going to respond to your inquiry....I've pissed enough people off already today. Anyways Geebee pretty much answered my question when he talked about them jumping from state to state.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 16:19

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com