Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Green Weenie
From Altoona, PA
Quote:

I'm trying to find someone to bet me beer to put hackle and wings on one and try to catch em on top. Any takers?

Ever fish a Lime Trude? I've done pretty well with them in June.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 18:01

From Bozeman
I've fished bright green caddis for that hatch and done OK, but I'll have to tie some of them up. Yellow sallies are a bit more common on my home streams, and I usually just fish a stimulator for them.

I still wanna do it with a weenie though... loop tail and all. I feel as though it's a mission that I must undertake!

now on to how to make the friggin thing float...

Posted on: 2007/6/22 18:20

From Altoona, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I've fished bright green caddis for that hatch and done OK, but I'll have to tie some of them up. Yellow sallies are a bit more common on my home streams, and I usually just fish a stimulator for them.

I still wanna do it with a weenie though... loop tail and all. I feel as though it's a mission that I must undertake!

now on to how to make the friggin thing float...

Instead of chenille, get some Chartruese CDC (I have some) and spin a dubbing loop.

And I've done well during the Lil Yellow Sallie Hatch using a lime trude.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 21:40

From Pine Grove
The irony of this post is that I just had a rather large pally straighten a green weenie hook yesterday. If I said that it was in "the glenn" I believe volcanomil would know where I was talking about. Dang rodeo leftovers. They're getting quite picky, but there are a few left.

Boyer

Posted on: 2007/6/22 22:23

From York County
The Glenn - haven't thought of that place in years - standing on the wall - casting towards the damn?

Posted on: 2007/6/25 7:45

From Pine Grove
I actually prefer to stand in the middle and cast towards the breast if I am fishing the dam. This is the first year I have really done it, and only because there were a few big ones left. Usually I'll fish the creek or preferably one of the branches for natives. Too many flying bobbers in the dam for my taste. Good to know somebody else from "the valley" is on here. Welcome to the board!

Boyer

Posted on: 2007/6/25 9:27

From Media, PA
I've never fished an actual Green Weenie, though I do have several inchworm patters in my boxes. The owner of my local flyfishing store told me that the GW is his no. one selling pattern, by far. I think everyone should fish whatever pattern they have confidence in, but it is kind of a shame when people put such strong stock in any pattern that they fish it almost exclusively, IMO. One of my favorite aspects of flyfishing is actually figuring out what the fish are feeding on. Using one fly as a crutch tends to eliminate some of the detective work. On the other hand, drifting any fly in trout water beats the heck out of sitting behind the computer! In aswer to the original question, I'd start by greasing the crap out of it, plopping it uder branches and then drifting it. Then plop, and subtle twitches, followed by serious strips. Weight the leader, sink, and repeat the above. Actually, I would have probably tied on a fur ant dropper before I started.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 12:19

From Bozeman
I, personally don't use it as a crutch.

I use a pheasant tail for that.

Matching the hatch is great, but for mid-early season stocked browns, the green weenie can't be beat. Especially when there's no hatch to match.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 12:29

From Media, PA
LOL about the pheasant tail; I use a variation of the PT a lot myself. Fur from a dark Choc. Lab is a nice shade and can be brushed shaggy; also, it won't unwind after repeated abuse. I wasn't trying to refute the fish catching ability of the GW. or any other chartreuse fly for that matter. I have met anglers who don't fish anything but Weenies or Glo Bugs. Kind of a narrow chunk of flyfishing, don't you think? I fish plenty of attractor patterns with good results. One of my favorite patterns for early season, high water, or inchworm time is the beadhead inchworm pattern similar to the Beck's pattern. As Pad metioned it is a killer point fly on a dropper set-up. Plenty of San Juan Worms seem to have infiltrated my box as well. When it comes to fishing, (and life for that matter) whatever floats your boat!

Posted on: 2007/6/25 14:32

From Lebanon Co.
Hey MattBoyer.
Know where you mean,allways some nice leftovers there after the rodeo. Lived 5 min.from there. Be shore to check out the rest of the stream up to the water dam.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 18:05

From Pine Grove
Quote:

Flynut wrote:
Hey MattBoyer.
Know where you mean,allways some nice leftovers there after the rodeo. Lived 5 min.from there. Be shore to check out the rest of the stream up to the water dam.

Where'd ya live, man? I'm originally from Williamstown, so we used to walk down the East Branch to get there when we were kids. I still hit the creek a few times a month because it's a nice creek to wet wade. Nothing like leaving a creek, eating lunch and not smelling crappy water all day til you get home. They put a ton of cookie cutter 11 inchers in this year, but it's still fun.

Boyer

Posted on: 2007/6/26 15:59

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com