Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Grateful Dead Inspired

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
Just finished listening to Dicks picks 8... hot dang what a great show.. Love the acoustic set to start things off. Also, looking forward to whatever you create!

Posted on: 5/29 18:29

From SEPA
Binghamton is a great show, I don't listen to that one enough. Thanks for the inspiration.

Posted on: 5/29 19:53

Right, I'll never get he Dead but I just can't get the Goldberg Variations out of my head.

Posted on: 5/29 20:04

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
As much as I love the Dead...I do tend to turn the volume down a few notches when I start to hear Weir sing..

Posted on: 5/30 8:17

Quote:
A bumpy learning curve?

Yes, a bumpy learning curve.

As of 1970, they were $100,000 in debt to their record company, Warner Brothers, over studio time.

Then their manager, Mickey Hart's stepdad, absconded with at least that much money. I don't recall the details, but they never got the money back.

1973, they decided to own their own record company. Just in time for OPEC to come on the scene and send the price of oil- and in turn, virgin vinyl for record pressing- to skyrocket. So their own record company lasted around three years.

The band wanted to do distribution with Good Humor trucks instead of wholesaling to record stores, but that was just whimsy, ultimately. They were only serious about it for a few days.

The first record the Dead put out under their own label, Wake of the Flood, was bootlegged by people with the New Jersey Mafia. (I own one- it has a track listing on the back cover, unlike the original. Same quasi-Gothic script as the rest of the lettering.) So there's that, too.

There was even a bit of preliminary investigation into pursuing an experiment in early digital recording technology, using a pyramid-shaped record and, yes, a laser to read it. They've always been Idea People. Absence of available venture capital notwithstanding.

Oh yeah, another manager decamped with around $150,000, around 1976.

There was no GDP until the 1980s. The original Grateful Dead t-shirts (and still the greatest, imo) came from Kelley & Mouse's Monster T-Shirt studios. The famous Skull & Roses design. (Mouse got his start doing all of that Big Daddy Roth hot rod art in the early 1960s.)

The first "Steal Your Face" (Robert Thomas design) t-shirts I ever saw were bootlegs, 1973. The Dead didn't go all in with the Stealie thing until GDP got up and running.

The GD had "official concert tees" in the late 1970s and early 1980s through Brockum, who ran off artwork for all nearly of the bands in that era. Brockum was practically a monopoly for a while there. Then bands started getting their own merchandising wings.

The Dead do have total control over some of their designs, like the front top-view skull design known as the Stealie, the 13-sided lightning bolt divider, the words "Grateful Dead", and some other intellectual property. But lots of Dead-inspired merch is still unofficially sold. The parking lot police were always mainly after the big players in the bootlegging business.

I was never in any part of the business end of it, myself. This recollection is simply my steel-trap memory, honed by decades of fandom and around 80 shows between 1973 and 1994.

Posted on: 5/30 13:38

Edited by barbless on 2014/5/30 14:02:49
Edited by barbless on 2014/5/30 14:07:03

From Delaware Co.
Meh should be in OT

Posted on: 5/31 21:19

agree

Posted on: 6/1 15:55

From Valley Forge
Have yet to have a pro sketch this up but any thoughts?

Rough Draft 2

Posted on: 6/13 12:09

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
I can dig it.

Posted on: 6/13 16:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com