Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Grateful Dead Inspired

I know you know this but the Dead were equalled only by the Stones in buisness acumen. Anything remotely related to them is under copyright and they are known for aggressive enforcement. That said....who'd know? Never got the whole Dead thing.

Posted on: 5/28 20:09

That "business acumen" was a bumpy learning curve, for the Dead. If commercial success was the apex of their priorities, they would have played more easily accessible music. But no, they just couldn't stop...you know... I love those guys.

Posted on: 5/28 20:55

I never heard any Grateful Dead music I liked. But I really like licorice.

So it's just that there are a lot of Grateful Dead fans that fly fish. Not a direct correlation. Maybe it's an age thing I'm noticing, similar to generational music.

Posted on: 5/28 21:46
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From SE Pa
I'm of the grateful dead generation and I always hated their music. I think it was an LSD thing. I am a fan of Jerry garcia ties.

Posted on: 5/28 23:14

From South Central,PA
I see lots of correlations between the grateful dead and fly fishing. Grateful dead is to music what fly fishing is to fishing. It's not for everybody. It's an acquired taste. It's quirky. You probably wont get it on your first try but if you do, you may be hooked for life. People that don't get it, don't understand what the big deal is. Other's may see you as an elitist. It consumes your life and can become a way of life. I could go on!

Posted on: 5/28 23:15

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

barbless wrote:
That "business acumen" was a bumpy learning curve, for the Dead. If commercial success was the apex of their priorities, they would have played more easily accessible music. But no, they just couldn't stop...you know... I love those guys.

A bumpy learning curve? Now I like the Dead and all but c'mon they mostly hawk cheap stuff at higher than it's ever worth prices and get away with it 'cause there's a lot of idiots that will buy it no matter what just 'cause it says Grateful Dead or Garcia on it. They know exactly what they're doing and figured it out quite awhile ago I think I do like a bunch of the Jerry Garcia inspired tie designs.

Troutbert, Ha to describe his playing like you did you must've seen them on one of the occasions when they weren't so stoned that their playing ability was affected.

As for fishing music, I'll take the Allman Brothers "Blue Sky" cranked up as I'm heading to the river. Or perhaps Skynrd's "Simple Man." A little Taj Mahal maybe. Gettin' partial to Royal Southern Brotherhood and Tedeschi Trucks Band too now.

Posted on: 5/28 23:40

Quote:

RyanR wrote:
they mostly hawk cheap stuff at higher than it's ever worth prices and get away with it 'cause there's a lot of idiots that will buy it no matter what just 'cause it says Grateful Dead or Garcia on it. They know exactly what they're doing and figured it out quite awhile ago

You could say the same thing about Simms, Sage, Orvis, etc. Just insert any fly fishing company name in your statement in place of "Grateful Dead" or "Garcia".

All businesses do it to us all the time - just depends on what the "idiots" are willing to shell out their hard earned cash for.

Posted on: 5/29 8:38

From Valley Forge
My buddy has GDP licensing rights, so no problem there...

Posted on: 5/29 9:02

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

kbobb wrote:
Quote:

RyanR wrote:
they mostly hawk cheap stuff at higher than it's ever worth prices and get away with it 'cause there's a lot of idiots that will buy it no matter what just 'cause it says Grateful Dead or Garcia on it. They know exactly what they're doing and figured it out quite awhile ago

You could say the same thing about Simms, Sage, Orvis, etc. Just insert any fly fishing company name in your statement in place of "Grateful Dead" or "Garcia".

All businesses do it to us all the time - just depends on what the "idiots" are willing to shell out their hard earned cash for.

I think you missed my point. There's a difference between selling cheaply made stuff from overseas and selling quality goods that are worth the price. Depending upon our age I think we've all seen those people that will buy anything just because it has GD name on it and think its the best. Those are the idiots I'm talking about.

Posted on: 5/29 9:55

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

JohnPowers wrote:
Never got the whole Dead thing.

If you're not a "head" you'll never get it.

Posted on: 5/29 10:10

Don't be a hater.

And don't schlock up fly reel design with cheesy fanboy graphics.

Just listen to some good music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9Vhv4akxc

Posted on: 5/29 10:22

From Limerick, Pa
There is a very good book on the market right now entitled, 'Everything I know about business I learned from the Grateful Dead' by Barry Barnes, Phd. As a business owner myself, there were several lessons I could take from the book in regards to marketing, innovating, and promoting my own company. As an old dead head, it was interesting to see how they conducted their business to give the people what they really wanted: an incredible live experience.
As others have mentioned, there are many correlations between FF and the Dead. While the activity of fly fishing and attending a live performance are at the heart of the sport/hobby, the community and lifestyle built around both was (is) just, if not more, important than the thing itself. Look at your FF Jam that gets rained on almost every year. You still go because of the plethora of reasons stated in the Jam thread. This year's fishing wasn't very good for most but to a person, each of you had a great time due to the comraderie, companionship, kinship, booze, music, coffee, food, etc... The sharing of an experience.
The music and the group, for me, became secondary to the people, the feelings and the experience I enjoyed while on tour. Similar occurances happen now around FF'ing. Again this is just for me. I find most folks from both circles are concerned about our natural resources, are willing to get involved in worthy causes, and are genuinely kind and conscientious individuals. Most, and not all. I have had issues at concerts and streamside. People are people...that doesn't change.
Catching a Dead show on a great night is no different than being on the water for an awesome hatch. I now can cherish the memories of both.

Posted on: 5/29 14:12

Big fatty jumbos $5

Icey cold imports $3

Grilled cheese $1

Standing on a hillside in the listening to Jerry whale out Deal or Wharf Rat. Priceless.

Posted on: 5/29 14:33

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

giantsjim wrote:
There is a very good book on the market right now entitled, 'Everything I know about business I learned from the Grateful Dead' by Barry Barnes, Phd. As a business owner myself, there were several lessons I could take from the book in regards to marketing, innovating, and promoting my own company. As an old dead head, it was interesting to see how they conducted their business to give the people what they really wanted: an incredible live experience.
As others have mentioned, there are many correlations between FF and the Dead. While the activity of fly fishing and attending a live performance are at the heart of the sport/hobby, the community and lifestyle built around both was (is) just, if not more, important than the thing itself. Look at your FF Jam that gets rained on almost every year. You still go because of the plethora of reasons stated in the Jam thread. This year's fishing wasn't very good for most but to a person, each of you had a great time due to the comraderie, companionship, kinship, booze, music, coffee, food, etc... The sharing of an experience.
The music and the group, for me, became secondary to the people, the feelings and the experience I enjoyed while on tour. Similar occurances happen now around FF'ing. Again this is just for me. I find most folks from both circles are concerned about our natural resources, are willing to get involved in worthy causes, and are genuinely kind and conscientious individuals. Most, and not all. I have had issues at concerts and streamside. People are people...that doesn't change.
Catching a Dead show on a great night is no different than being on the water for an awesome hatch. I now can cherish the memories of both.

This says it all very well.

Posted on: 5/29 15:33

From Valley Forge
amen giantsjim...

Seems to me like some cool folks found this thread, hopefully if I can ever get my ducks in a row we can work up something that has some substance, not just a logo. That was my initial goal, something that would call to "maybe read between the lines".

Posted on: 5/29 16:33

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com