Grannom Adult Wet Fly LaFontaine pattern

S

Scratch

Can someone tell me if they have ever seen a grannom adult wet fly, LaFontaine pattern? I would be very interested in seeing what one look's like. I need get a good grannom wet fly pattern and I was told some time ago that this was the one I needed. Any help with pictures and or tying instructions would be appreciated.

Thank you Tom. Can you tell me where the pictures came from? I would like to see if there is a material list.

Attached is a photo, recipe and tutorial for La Fountaine’s emergent sparkle pupa. It takes a little practice to tie, but really is not that difficult. Just make sure the veil over the body is translucent – you should clearly see the body when held up to the light. Also be sure you use antron, it’s essential for the pattern to work. The deep sparkle pupa is nearly the same fly without the wing, and weighted with lead or lead substitute wire.

The second link is LaFountaine’s site, which has more photos, and they sell the flies and all the materials to tie them. Good luck.

http://hipwader.com/2003/emergent-sparkle-pupa

http://www.thebookmailer.com/Flies/Emergers/deepsparklepupa.html

I know that Afishinado is also a LaFontaine afishinado, but his info is for the pupal imitations, not the wet fly or, as LaFontaine calls it, the "diving" pattern that I believe you are asking about. This imitates an egg-laying adult, and is shown in the first picture that Tomgamber posted. I tied up many of these a couple years ago, but don't remember all the details. If no one gives you detailed pattern info by the time I get home tonight I'll post it for you.

Here ya go...

http://tinyurl.com/27moej

http://tinyurl.com/2e2c7j

http://tinyurl.com/yqdau8

Actually I am aware the LaFountaine’s diving caddis pattern. Of the three LaFountaine patterns for caddis, the diving caddis is the least effective for me, especially during a grannom hatch. The deep pupa works well in the hours before the hatch. During the hatch the emergent sparkle pupa is the ticket. The diving caddis is supposed to the represent the returning egg-laying adult. I find the ESP works well in that situation, as well as an EH caddis skittered on the surface, or you can use a delta wing type caddis for dead / dying adults. Overall the diving caddis pattern hasn’t fished well for me.

The last link that TomGamber posted with the extended body looks interesting. The extended body appears to be made of vernille or ultra chenille. I may try that pattern

I think that 90% of the fisherman that have heard of Lafountaine’s caddis patterns use the DSP & ESP.

BTW, I tie two colors for grannoms in both ESP and DSP – brown & bright green for the lighter species and black for the darker species both in size 14-18.

Attached great info on grannoms that I found and posted on another FF site:

The following info was posted by Lloyd Gonzales, the author of "Fly-Fishing Pressured Water." It is by far the best explanation of the PA grannom (Brachycentrus species) I have ever read. I was also confused. What Fly fishermen call grannoms around here range from black to dark green to bright green. His explanation follows:

Grannom, American Grannom, Shadfly, Apple Caddis, Mother's Day Caddis, and Black Caddis are all common names applied to Brachycentrus species. Mother's Day Caddis is the most common Western nickname for Brachycentrus occidentalis, a Western "grannom," but I have also heard this name applied generally to "grannoms" here in the East.

In PA, it is useful to think of "dark grannoms" and "light grannoms." The species your flies are imitating are more typical of the dark grannoms. The "apple caddis" is a light grannom.

Most of the important (PA) Brachycentrus species have overlapping hatch periods, so either dark or light imitations (or both) can be called for, depending on the stream.

Here's my current breakdown for important PA species:

Brachycentrus numerosus--Penn's Creek Caddisfly, Dark Grannom, Dark Shadfly; adults have dark-mottled wings and dark blackish green bodies; pupae usually dark with green lateral stripes and dark wingcases.

Brachycentrus lateralis--Striped Grannom, Dark Grannom, Black Caddis; adults have dark wings and pupae are typically dark olive with tan lateral stripes and dark wingcases.

Brachycentrus nigrosoma--Little Dark Grannom, Little Black Caddis; adults/pupae are smaller and darker than numerosus.

Brachycentrus appalachia--Apple Caddis, Light Shadfly, Light Grannom; adults have very light tannish or grayish wings (almost white when freshly emerged) and apple green bodies; pupae are apple green with tan wingcases.

(Brachycentrus solomoni and incanu are also found in PA)

Most "grannom" activity in PA occurs from mid-April to mid-May. During that time, if you carry imitations of dark and light grannoms (adults and pupae) in sizes #14-16, you should have most bases covered.

You are right that the adult imitations are seldom very good during the emergence (pupa or emerger patterns are best). During the egg-laying activity, however, they are often very effective. The fish may prefer skittered, dead-drifted, or wet adult imitations depending upon the concentrations around their lies.

Lloyd Gonzales
Author of Fly-Fishing Pressured Water

Wow, what a tremendous reply. I recently retired and I have a lot of catching up to do so all of this very helpfull to me.
Now I am going to really test the waters and ask another very pointed question. You talked about the light and dark Grannom and it sounds to me that using light or dark depends on which stream you are fishing. Well my concentration early this spring will be on the big Pine in Tioga county in the Ansonia area and the Loyalsock in Lycoming county. Can any one tell me which pattern will work the best for me in early May?

sorry Jay I dont want to hijack the thread but I have a question...Afish, when you say you use light and dark patterns are you referring to the sparkle yarn/antron and the underbody? Does the antron bubble match the adult color?...guess i should buy Gary's book

jeff

afishinado wrote:

The following info was posted by Lloyd Gonzales, the author of "Fly-Fishing Pressured Water." It is by far the best explanation of the PA grannom (Brachycentrus species) I have ever read. I was also confused. What Fly fishermen call grannoms around here range from black to dark green to bright green. His explanation follows:

Afish -

I recently bought Lloyds book you're referring to at ollies on discount for $10.00. It was one of the best flyfishing books I've read. I couldn't believe the price. I especially like his caddis patterns, particularly the soft hackles and the emerging pupa. Great advice and it's a great read. some of his patterns are too realisitic for me, but some like the caddis are awesome.

Jason

Fantastic info on this thread:)

Well my concentration early this spring will be on the big Pine in Tioga county in the Ansonia area and the Loyalsock in Lycoming county. Can any one tell me which pattern will work the best for me in early May?

Do yourself a favor and tie up a few of these both with and without the green egg sack. I found this pattern in an old box of fishing gear that my oldest brother gave me. Within that box, was a small box marked "Grannoms" along with a receipt from 1962 from a bait shop/beer distributor that was located in the 25th Street Shopping Center in Easton. I started fishing them about 10 years ago and found out that they work well

Hook-3906 #12-#16
Tail- Olive hen
Tag- Green
Body- Brown with a little gray
Hackle- Olive hen
Wing- Mottled turkey or hen pheasant

grannom1a.jpg

or you can just put peacock dubbing on a hook and hackle it with 1-2 turns of partridge.

Back