Got Capes ?

sandfly

sandfly

Pick up few new capes, just can't decide which to skin and whitch to breed .

DSCF8345_zps12575ff8.jpg

DSCF8346_zps5b1764e4.jpg

DSCF8357_zps76182184.jpg

DSCF8362_zps205e0e00.jpg

I used to own a parakeet.

how do you butcher the birds without damaging the feathers?

They have very small brains

can't you just trim them a bit while they're asleep ?

these are all young and not fighting to keep them I would have to put in separate cages, real pain. I get them free and will skin 3 and keep the meat for eating. Have to put the head through a cone and tie the legs then take a small knife and stick it from throat to brain to bleed them. Once they bleed out you can skin them without getting blood on feathers. then you part them out coat in borax lay on newspaper cover and add weight to dry for a few weeks. I keep meat and freeze, liver gizzard and hearts to eat. get rid of guts (coyote bait) cook carcass down with onion, carrots, and celery make broth and freeze for soups. nothing is waisted.

I say breed them and get the capes from the youngens. You can always get the feather they drop during a molt.

Only 2 for breeding chaz, to many rooster 8 in all now. Can we say Cock Fights. i had to break up a few already. Hmmmmm money maker trout fishing and fight night....

Third one looks like an Ameraucana, or at least an Ameraucana
mix based on the comb and the sideburns. I found that those are not very tasty.

Do you get your birds from someone who breeds just for the feathers, or are these standard breeds?

Mmmm pickled chickens feet have a jar in fridge right now
farmer, they are all cross breed Americana's, yeah not much meat good for soup and stew. These are from a local farm, I will cross with new hens in spring for wet fly and streamer hackle. I don't do dry fly hackle anymore to much work and takes years of breeding to get decent hackle.

Back