Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Good vs. Great Hat

From Central PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
mutz,

I either detach the hood, and trust that the brim is wide enough to force any drips to hit my body below the wader line. Or in really bad weather, I put the hood under the hat, which really looks weird but gets the job done.

In the winter I wear one of those little fleece headband things under the hat to cover my ears.

My problem is hunting. I don't want to put pin holes in my good leather one to attach blaze orange. I have a blaze orange felt hat, but it really sucks up water bad, and is pretty stretched out, floppy brimmed, and all around just a piece of crap. I don't like ball hats for hunting at all because we hunt in lake effect area, it snows every year, and it's falling from trees, etc., and goes down my neck. My solution has been to wear the blaze hat OVER the leather one. The leather underneath gives it decent shape. The leather still protects my head from wetness, but when it really gets waterlogged I can separate it off and wring it out. It works pretty well, but looks super ridiculous and has earned me the nickname "double hat man".

to fix your hunting problem i have a solution. my uncle has a hat like yours and uses a kids orange stripper had with the top cut off so it is like a womens tube top shirt. he slips this on and it stays on even in the briars chasing the beagles/rabbits. give this a shot and let me know...

Posted on: 2013/2/12 22:02

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Chaz, obviously it didn't fit? It's not supposed to sit loose on there.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 22:03

From Central PA
also... it's not how many fish you catch it how good you look doing it!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 22:04

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
mutz, interesting. where would I get such a thing. Googling "stripper hat" gave me some real interesting results, lol.

Is it just a knit beanie?

I've considered just cutting the brim and top out of the felt blaze hat, leaving a blaze circle. Would be a similar idea. Have to figure out how to clean up the cut edges so they're not all frayed.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 22:08

From Central PA
i get mine from mustang sallies :)
yes, is would just be a $3 knit wallmart beanie. once you cut the top off take a propane torch and burn the edges. use a bucket of water and your hands...while the material is melted, dip your fingers in the water and pinch the material together, kinda like the lighter and a san juan worm.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 22:16

From Perkasie PA
Fitted 7 and 7/8ths Phillies hat. I have a monster sized skull and haven't came across an adjustable baseball hat that's fit my head since I was 16.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 1:18

From Downingtown, PA
For me, a Coastal Carolina University baseball cap which I picked up from the university bookstore clearance rack for 5 bucks. It used to be black but is now more of a faded brown. There are many rips in the fabric and also sweat marks as I won't wash it. I did just get a tan boonie hat for free from a relative that I am thinking about trying out this season. The wife laughs at me when I wear it, but it does fit nice. Hats are important to me. I have only a little hair left and I shave my head so they are necessity. It's funny how attached one can get to a hat. I need a better way to organize my hats. They are scattered all over the house!

Posted on: 2013/2/13 10:09

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I've got about 5K in electronics nested in my ears I have to protect from the rain, as much as reasonably possible. I also favor full 360 degree brim hats because they cup sound and give me about a 10 decibel boost to my addled ears. This can come in handy in changeable summer weather when the extra 10 decibels can make a difference between a wet arse and a dry escape when a sudden t-boomer blows in and I have to beat feet for the car.

My favorite is a US Army issue Desert Storm hat that a Desert Storm vet I guided on Oil Creek back in 93 or 94 gave me because I admitted to him that I coveted the thing and because I got him into a lot of fish. I dunked it in forest green Rit for a half hour and it came out just about how I wanted it to. I soak it in Camp-Dri twice a year and can fish right through a moderate rain without having to worry about my hearing aids.

But it isn't very well ventilated and it gets hot up there. So, I also have a Columbia Boonies-style (or whatever..) fully, floppy brimmed hat with mesh ventilation. Off the shelf, it was about the color of dirty white pea gravel, so I dunked it in forest green Rit for a half hour and it came out just about how I wanted it to. I wear it in the Summer, particularly when river fishing for bass.

I also have a number of ball hat-style hats I rotate between when it is windy, as it often is out here in the Midwest. You can't keep a full brimmed hat on your head out here on a windy day. It blows all over the place. One is a complementary Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Online hat that my wife got at one of her work conferences. It says cbc.ca on it. It was white, but I dunked it in forest green Rit for about a half hour and now it is more like a pastel pistachio. Its a good hat. I think what I like best about it is that I don't know another soul who has one like it.

I also have a Western Pennsylvania Conservancy ball hat that is about shot as well as one from Tri-County Trout in New Kensington that is also pretty ragged. They were already green, so I didn't dunk them in Rit. Then, my other ball hat is a PGC hat that a former Commissioner gave me. I wear it when I come home to PA and will be fishing around a bunch of other people, like if I'm out bugging for bass on Presque Isle or with my brother on Opening Day of trout on our home creek in Crawford County. It doesn't fit very well, but I wear it mostly to annoy the people who are all exercised and foaming at the mouth about the way the Game Commission manages deer. Its kind of a green/khaki, so I don't need to dunk it in Rit either.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 16:26

From Landenberg, PA
a great hat is like a good woman, you have a long relationship with it and have many happy memories together.

you try not to mistreat it and it puts up with a lot. sometimes it gets forgotten completely and you're sorry when its gone.

when it was new it was fresh and exciting, and now its getting on in its years its a little bit worse for wear but you still treasure it and you wouldn't want a new one.

you know there's other hats out there if you wanted one or could be bothered, but this one already fits you and besides you're a little beat up yourself anyway.

you're partners and you complement each other, so why change now.

myself, i'm a three fishing hat kind of guy - spring and fall, a faded rust stained green ballcap from a fly store on Cape Cod bought in 2005.

Here 'she' is in an early appearance in May 2005 with a European Sea Bass (Labrax) at 4.30am in Durdle Dor , Dorset.
Resized Image

eight seasons later, she's atop a very pleased looking me who winkled this 30" striper out of a Cape Cod Bay Creek :

Resized Image

in winter i wear a cheapo fur lined trapper hat from Kohl's. it has bear ears for no reason at all. lol

for the height of summer i have a wide brim Tilley hat - indestructible, guaranteed for life, comes with a strap and has a pouch in it for cigarettes/tobacco/ cash etc :

Resized Image

OMG i am a fishing hat slut. i have three fishing hats LOL

Posted on: 2013/2/13 18:44

way too many hats to enter into this discussion!
by the way anyone know how they get your hat size?
circumference divided by pie = 3.14.
jeff in PA

Posted on: 2013/2/13 22:52

From Berryville Virginia
If I wear a hat it a filson packer hat. I let Big Dave wear tweed, although i do own one as well.

Joe E

Posted on: 2013/2/14 11:14

From Gamehendge
Quote:

mutzinbaugh wrote:
also... it's not how many fish you catch it how good you look doing it!

Thats right

In my case I catch fish and look good. I know hard to believe right?

Posted on: 2013/2/14 19:20

From Lancaster, PA
While I'm still pretty new to fly fishing (only started last August), I have a hat that I will always use expecially in the warmer months. It is a white stetson "dude" cowboy hat I bought last summer when I was in Colorado which is where and when I learned to fly fish from my fiance's uncle. Not only is it a great hat for fishing, but it also holds that sentimental value of the reminder of how I got into this awesome addiction we all enjoy :)

Posted on: 2013/2/15 8:36

Jeez, I was about to put my foot in my mouth by saying something snarky about that whole cowboy hat thing from out west. Glad I'd didn't.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 13:26

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

fishingnoob wrote:
While I'm still pretty new to fly fishing (only started last August), I have a hat that I will always use expecially in the warmer months. It is a white stetson "dude" cowboy hat I bought last summer when I was in Colorado which is where and when I learned to fly fish from my fiance's uncle. Not only is it a great hat for fishing, but it also holds that sentimental value of the reminder of how I got into this awesome addiction we all enjoy :)

cowboy hats are cool.

i'm not sure i'd want a bright white hat on streams with clear water. the fish will see it a mile off.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 19:20

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com