Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Good vs. Great Hat

From LV
I tired an Indiana Jones type hat for a couple of trips, thinking I'd like to keep the sun off my neck. It kept getting knocked off my head when hiking in and out of streams, it's now retired. The same would happen with a cowboy hat, and I don't like them anyway.
A baseball cap for me.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 11:56

From Philadelphia PA
I have two favorates right now. I have the Orvis Mesh style Indiana Jones that is great for keeping the sun off and out of my face as well as keeps my ears and back of neck from getting sunburn. And than I have my Specially designed baseball cap that states, "Pease Bug Me" and has a Brown trout on it.

I miss a couple of my hats that I had specially designed, "Catch, Kiss and Release I lost at a lake in MO. And "You're Right, My Fly is Down" Not sure where that one went. However if you see it, let me know.

IT MUST BE SPRING FEVER WHEN WERE TALKING ABOUT FAV HATS!!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 12:16
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Lehigh Valley
Blurry, but says it all...

Attach file:

jpg  favorite hat.jpg (91.94 KB)
72_511a8f84ca3f1.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/2/12 13:52

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
IT MUST BE SPRING FEVER WHEN WERE TALKING ABOUT FAV HATS!!

This is the way the community should react to the rancor of the last few weeks. A number of fun and interesting threads have been started recently. I appreciate it. Much better reading than sniping and jabbing.

I don't have a favorite hat, just the usual one. I would like a herringbone trilby in wool.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 13:58

I go thru a lot of baseball-style hats. My current favorite is one with a defunct fly shop's logo. My wife and her friends are disgusted by this hat. I found it along a steam in the muck one evening. It was all mudded up and smelled pretty awful, but I took it home. It took 3 washings -- yes, indeed, I washed it -- to get the stench out of it. This was about 3 years ago. The cloth has almost all torn from the front of the bill (and I even trimmed it to keep the strings out of my eyes), and the adjustment strap is almost shot. If it makes it thru the first couple weeks of the season, I'll be surprised. The women I know (no offense intended to any fly-fishing females who might read this) insist that the hat should never have been brought home, that even after multiple washings that I could contract diseases from a hat rescued in this way. But, we fly-fishermen all know better.
Why didn't the guy pick up the hat when/where he lost it? I really have no idea; perhaps he was frightened by one of PA's non-existent moutain lions!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 14:20

From Perry County
I have two hats that are my favs. One is a baseball style hat from one of those fly shops I visit from time to time and I don't know if it is lucky but I am so use to having with me I think it has something that I miss when I go without it. The only other hat I have that I would consider wearing is a felt cowboy hat, if it is raining or colder out.

Like pcray said when it comes to felt, it may not keep me dry all day and it has taken a beating and looks like it too. But I love that hat. I get made fun of sometimes when I wear it when I go with some of my fishing buddies. But I wear it knowing they are going to do that. When it was new I use to tell them that they were jealous because they were afraid to make a statement with a big cowboy, but as ugly as it is now I know that it is not the case any more.

Both of them are GREAT hats!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 14:48

From Howard Falls
Nice hat-histories! while i specialize in befouling baseball type caps, i'ved had others over the years that have been openly mocked by others. Got a redonkulous VanGogh provincial straw hat once (from the JPeterman catalogue) that lasted exactly ten minutes on the stream until it was removed and burned by one of my uncles.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 15:23

From philadelphia
i usually wear a PAFF hat,duh.

before that i wore out a TU hat.

in severe cold i wear an elmer fudd-ish plaid thinsulate hat with ear flaps .

i would like to wear a more stylish hat than a ball cap,but i find the visor to a ball cap shades my eyes to see in the water better and sometimes non-ball caps just look too costume like.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 15:40

From Gamehendge
Flat billed Pittsburgh pirates new era 59/50. Covered with pins. Starting to now get a little worn. I can't have a worn out hat. Time for a new one. I wear it backwards so it provides no shade from the sun. Only wear it forward on an angle under my hood when it's raining. Cause after all "if your looking good, your fishing good"

Posted on: 2013/2/12 15:55

From North East PA
Fav hat is an Indiana Jones style, crush-able that I got from Cabelas years ago. Don't wear it fishing, cause of lack of way to keep it in place in any wind. Bonus is the grandkids love it too.

Fishing hat is my lucky (Maurice wouldn't fib to me, would he) PAFF hat.

Attach file:

jpg  Chris.jpg (146.04 KB)
5814_511aceb4c054b.jpg 417X434 px

Posted on: 2013/2/12 18:22

From Abington
I have a Wal-mart boonie hat that I have worn for years. (Go ahead McFinn, laugh all you want) Its still my favorite although I don't wear it all the time. Best $5.97 I've spent in a long time.

Whiskey Dave like it.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 19:14

From Howard Falls
(lol@Volks)_"Whoa! Nice Hat! I bet it comes with a free bowl of soup...
Looks good on YOU, though..."

Attach file:

jpg  jtv.jpg (89.35 KB)
4046_511ae67e58be1.jpg 358X400 px

Posted on: 2013/2/12 20:04

From Lititz, Pa
I have a Tilley hat model LTM6. They are a bit pricey but the nice thing is I just throw it in the washer any time it starts to smell. I think I have had it for 3 years and no sign of wear. The bill is 2 3/4 inches wide.
If you want to try one on for size Gander Mountain sells them.

Rick

Posted on: 2013/2/12 20:19

From Central PA
i like pcray's waterproof idea, i guess you just flip up your hood on your rain jacked also?

has anyone else ever heard of knit hats/beanie's called stripper hats? that is what we call them and everyone asks what??? yep that's right stripper hats, can't tell you where it comes from, kinda sounds like they come from a gentlemans club.

sasquatch, i am glad to hear i am not the only one falling in the drink!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 21:26

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
mutz,

If I need a hood, I put it on under the hat. The hood on my rain jacket is very thin. Looks weird, but works great.

In the winter I wear one of those little fleece headband things under the hat to cover my ears. Leather stretches and shrinks so it's kind of adjustable size. That first outing with the band each winter is always a bit tight, and the first one without in the spring is a bit loose, but it adjusts back to my head quickly enough.

My problem is hunting. I don't want to put pin holes in my good leather one to attach blaze orange. I have a blaze orange felt outback hat, but it really sucks up water bad, and is pretty stretched out, floppy brimmed, and all around just a piece of crap. I don't like ball hats for hunting at all because we hunt in lake effect area, it snows every year, and it's falling from trees, etc., and goes down my neck. My solution has been to wear the blaze hat OVER the leather one. The leather underneath gives it decent shape. The leather still protects my head from wetness, but when the felt really gets waterlogged and heavy I can separate it off and wring it out. It works pretty well, but looks super ridiculous and has earned me the nickname "double hat man" in camp.

I take pride in looking ridiculous. :)

Posted on: 2013/2/12 21:52

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com