Good patterns for Valley Cr this time of year?

T

timmyt

I just accepted a new job literally five mins from Valley so I will be there a lot on lunch and after work, especially once it gets warm. Gonna start my "valley" box, any suggestions would be appreciated, I have only fished it once before

Thanks!

I'm a only a little bit away as well for work.

Perhaps we'll hit it up once we get a little more daylight.

Anyway, scuds, generic nymphs, buggers, streamers, walt's worms, and midges. Micro eggs have been said to work too, but I've never tried them.

In the summer, green weenies, terrestrials, stimulators, and other attractors as well as the above mentioned flies will do it for ya.

I also work fairly close to valley and would be interested in meeting up. I may watch some of you tenured ff for a while since I am very new to the sport to get some tips. Looking forward to it. PM if you you think you'll get out there soon.

It's tough this time of year.

By the time I get done work, there is little to no daylight left.

This sounds pretty pathetic but the only fly that ive ever caught fish on at valley is a size 14-16 olive scud. One time I lost one on a zebra midge though...I am new to fly fishing and haven't fished it in the spring though, only summer, fall, and once this winter(got skunked though)

I am down to meetup anytime there

I have been told copper johns work well there as well?

Is there any truth to the fact that you should not use beadhead nymphs there? I heard the fish won't hit beadheads but kind of have a hard time believing it

I may head out there one day this week the weather looks nice, I'll post here if I am gonna

Thanks for the info fellas

The beadheads issue with wild trout was a hot topic.

I think that it's a bunch of crap. A beadhead will work fine at valley. If anything, with proper conditions, it could be more effective.

TIMMYT I have been fishing Valley almost exclusively for four years now and here is my story and my advice. Let me start by saying that Valley Creek has alot of fish, but they wild and they are very smart. The patterns and tactics that work well on most stocked streams will not even get your fly a look at Valley. I was frustrated my first year fishing Valley as got skunked on several outings and still was only catching the occasional fish. I was actually convinced for a while that there weren't that many fish in there, but I now realize that they are there and you just have to be cautious to catch them.
The MOST IMPORTANT TIP I can give you is that Valley trout tend to spook easy to I usually walk up to the water slowly and then belly crawl or slowly move into a casting spot.

As for flies here are my top picks:

Fall/Winter selection: #10-12 Green and Black crystal wooly buggers, #16-18 Copper Johns, 16-18# Pheasant tails. 16-18# bead head caddis. Also some attractor patterns with flash will work.

Spring: #16-20 Blue Wing Olives, #16-18 little black stoneflies, #16-20 Elk Hair and CDC Caddis, #16-20 Brown mayfly patterns, #16-20 Parachute Adams. #18-20 Griffiths gnat.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PATTERN FOR LATE SPRING AND SUMMER IS THE STIMULATOR in all colors and sizes #14-16. It immitates hoppers, caddis, and small stoneflies well; the fish love them. I usually use them in rust, green or yellow.

Summer/Early Fall: Most important are the terrestrials. #14-18 Ant patterns, #14-18 foam bettles, Dave's Hoppers. Stimulators. #16-20 Elk hair CADDIS.

well here's what lives there...hope it helps

jeff

http://www.stroudcenter.org/schuylkill/sites/site004.htm

Back