Golden Stonefly

buffalo7

buffalo7

This is the first one I saw this year, I took the pic today. They have a yellow body with brown wings. They will be hatching here into July, they hatch in the evening, some of them get in my house, useualy they die by mourning. By the time the hatch is over for them, there won't be mutch going on except midge hatches. That will be prime time for terestrials also.

I use the Fluttering Caddis Pattern in #12 to imitate them. I use Mink Tail guard hairs for the wing.

The little yellow stoneflies have been hatching for well over a month, and sulphurs are still hatching.

The mink in the pic below that I took on Saturday, comes by here often in the mourning and late afternoon, and I'm almost out of guard hairs on my brown Mink tail.

Attachments

• DSCN0525.JPG
    DSCN0525.JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6953.JPG
    IMG_6953.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7122.JPG
    IMG_7122.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 3
Great stuff!

It seems to me that mink are a lot more numerous - at least in my neck of the woods - than they were in the past. When I was a kid fishing in the early 80s seeing a mink was a big deal. Now I see them all the time, usually along stream beds. They're neat critters.

I have seen an albino mink at night for the past few year in the mouth of walnut creek. Thats the only one I have seen.

Below is another imitation of a Golden Stonefly and female little yellow Stonefly with egg sac, tied with raffia that sandfly sent me last week. They are tied in Tent Wing Caddis style they can be tied in Kings river caddis style like sandfly posted on the "Little Yellow Stonefly" thread.

I would have posted this in the flytying forum but I thought it would be better with the pic of the real thing.

Leteras,
Just before I saw your post, I posted a pic and talked about a white deer and squirrel on the " a first for me " thread in the general forum.

Attachments

• IMG_7137.JPG
    IMG_7137.JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7147.JPG
    IMG_7147.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 3

fwiw, i buy the three-for-10-dollar tapered white bristle brushes at craft stores, cut the tips off and use markers to make whatever colour microfibbets I want. they're so very cheap, you can use 'em in lieu of milk guard hair for stuff like skittering caddis.

I posted this thread on 5/31 when I saw the first Golden Stonefly of the year, I posted a pic of a top view of one. Below is a bottom view. Just a few minutes ago I had to open my screen to let a swarm of them out, they always find a way in the house.

Are any hatching up there now?

Attachments

• IMG_7188.JPG
    IMG_7188.JPG
    640.3 KB · Views: 2
I saw a few on the main stem Sunday and there are shocks on the Lehigh as well. I just fish a size 12 yellow stimmy for them.

RowJimmy wrote:
I saw a few on the main stem Sunday and there are shocks on the Lehigh as well. I just fish a size 12 yellow stimmy for them.

Yea, they work, i've used them for golden stones.

I love it when I hit the golden stoneflies just right on a stream. After TIC training one late June afternoon I hit them returning to lay eggs on BFC and had an epic few hours. I did not catch a wild brown under 13", most were in the 15-18" range. It was my best day yet on that stream.

Brad, did you tie that one, I can't tell if I'm missing something, it looks like yellow bubbing,palmered hackle, elk hair, parachute hackle. It looks like the palmered hackle is cliped flat, thats what I did on the raffia winged flies. I guess I have materials to do something close to that in colorwise.

Ryan,
I wanted to be out now but a storm came over the mountains earlier, they sneek up on you here, but so far just a few big drops of rain. You can't fish for trout down here at nite, but I don't wont to anyway, thats when the Rattlesnakes and copperheads are looking for a warm rock or going out in the road. But you should be getting into golden stones soon.

We had a fairly wicked thunderstorm go through here tonight as well. I've run into good fishing with them on overcast days in places like the Lehigh River gorge and Big Fishing Creek that day in the Narrows (it's also well-shaded.) We fish them after dark too on the Brodhead. Golden stones and slate drakes (Iso's) are two of my favorite hatches to fish.

Back