Going back to my roots

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

I will be going back to my hometown of Indiana, PA for the Thanksgiving holiday to indulge in homemade beer, Steelers vs Ravens thurs. night, and of course some fly fishing. After having a long discussion as to which stream to fish, we decided to go where I first started fly fishing, Little Mahoning fly project. I remember watching my dad catch fish at almost every spot we hit. I eventually ventured off on my own trying to figure how to catch a fish with these fuzzy bug things I had in my fly box.
The one thing I remember, (I was proabably 15 or 16 at the time so my thoughts were on different things) was how beautiful this scenery is. I felt like Field and Stream was on the opposite side of the creek taking a picture and thinking of a caption to put in that months issue. I remember sitting under a pine tree on a stump next to stream at a bend with a big boulder just upstream. It was a gloomy upper 40's day. It had just rained the night before and the ground was damp. I tied one of these "wally bugger" things my dad advised. After a couple dead drifts I finally hooked into a stocked raindbow. Nothing pretty, just a plain jane 12" or so PA hatchery rainbow. It actually surprised me, as I was just going through the motions at this point waiting for dad to travel back upstream and say, "pack it in?"
I think back to how that one memory just stuck with me through all these years. A kid who has booze, girls, and waiting for his shot at a learners permit on his mind somehow, stopped and really indulged in a moment that will stay with him for years.

There are two streams relatively close (within 10 minutes) that would probably produce well, but I cant help but drive a little further to where it all started...

Thanks, I enjoyed this. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Nice story and my nephew both "get it". It's as much the experience as it is the catching. I still remember the first time I went. I broke my fly off on the first on second cast but never knew it. I was just thrilled standing in white deer creek with borrowed waders and whipping the line around. I was hooked immediately.

Got back to your fist spot and I'll bet it's as sweet as the first trip. I should stop at white deer one of these days.

I'm curious how I'll do. I've been better at reading water, casting, and fly selection than the last time I fished there. Hopefully i can catch some fish, maybe out fish my dad, but that rarely happens. I'll be sure to rub it in if I do.

I grew up 10 min from Little mahoning creek. i have lots of memories with my grandfather and i fly fishing there. Best memory for me, was on my 20th birthday, i caught a 21" tiger trout. nice stream, just really wish they would put some more effort into it and there may be a chance of wild fish (if i remember the only concern was water levels)

Hey Tyger, nice story. And better memories. Good luck and have a Happy Thanksgiving. We should be tying again soon.

GenCon

Great story!

After getting back into fishing, as well as starting with the fly rod, it's been fun reliving the times my brother and I fished with my Grandfather. And coming up with new stories to share!

I had a short stint fly fishing at my mid teens but lost interest until this year. I took for granted the opportunities I had to fish with close friends and family. Now lifes slowed down a bit and I'm chomping at the bit to get back at fish with someone.

Gencon, looking forward to our tying sessions. I've been going off the reserve coming up with variations and they are getting dumber and dumber. Lol. My razor blade has been used ALOT lately.

Is someone making flies out of their own mustache and beard? That's different!!

No but the dog lost a little fur off the tip of her tail!

Back