Glacier Nat. Park

A

AndyP

Heading out to Glacier this summer for a family reunion and besides doing my usual internet research just thought I'd see what thoughts/experiences anyone has had in that area with places to fish and any guide suggestions. Always like to give my business to people that have a good reputation. Hoping to extend this visit with a follow up week visiting more family in Bozeman. I got the Bozeman area pretty well covered but this will be my 1st time up in the Glacier NP area. Thanks !

Oh, Heading out in mid July...

Andy, a few years ago I visit my nephew who was doing his graduate work on Flathead Lake south of Glacier. He took me to The South Fork of the Flathead River in The Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. It was 65 miles on dirt roads and a 4 mile walk to the stream. Worth every mile of the trip to get there.
That is in that area and with a little research you could probably find a guide that fishes that area.
There are lots of other streams in that area but that was really special

Ditto what gfoledec said. The Bob is a fed wilderness area. Only way in is foot or hoof. The south fork is crammed full of west slope cutthroat that have never seen a hook. Check out Spotted Bear Ranch at the end of the dirt road for lodging and a guide.

GNP. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been too. I was there twice and the second time (about 15 years ago) got me back into fly fishing. I did a float trip down the flathead. Anyway, I used Montana River Anglers. It was a great experience. Their web address is as follows:

http://www.montanariveranglers.com/

Don

It is incredible there, spent 5 nights at glacier park lodge and 5 nights at Price of Wales in Alberta. Great fishing and great views. Ended up purchasing property in Waterton during my vacation.

SNJChef,
Did you find the fishing in GNP (not Waterton Peace Park) to be " great" 1) within the park's boundaries and 2) in the lakes, streams, or both?

you' want to hit the Flathead R. in the park too.

Clarifying comment: It is hard to find better scenery, hiking, and wildlife in the continental USA than you will find in GNP. If you don't get to fish there, or if the fishing is not great, you will still have a superior experience if you are fit enough and take advantage of the trails that take you more than 3 miles from the roads. The short trails tend to get crowded with tourists, but if you hit the trails before 8:30 AM most of the tourists are still at the campgrounds, lodges, etc. Hit the steeper terrain and you can really weed them out.

Fishing inside the park I would call great, they are all glacier fed streams and lakes, the trout we caught where small, but we did get a good number of them in the lakes. I attempted to fish a stream but since I was alone I decided not to, when before I walked 100 yards I saw 4 bear. It still is an incredible place views are great.

Glacier really is an amazing place. I saw my first grizzly there and also caught my first cutthroat. I don't have any experience with a guide in Glacier, but I found this site to be very helpful in planning my trip.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/National_parks/glacier/backcountry_fishing_overview.shtm

If you are just looking to fish the smaller backcountry lakes, the fishing is pretty easy. All I really needed was a royal wulff. I wasn't able to fish any of the rivers in the area though; they were still roaring from run off when I was there.

This was already said...The south fork of the flathead is awesome water. Big, dumb fish in there. I stayed for around two weeks fishing the flathead last year and never had problems catching fish without a guide. There are quite a few good primitive free places to camp out in the flathead national forest if that's your style. I can give coordinates of the one place I have if interested.

Big dumb very aggressive fish

Back