Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Giant tiger trout in PA? Who'd a thunk it?

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Lol

Posted on: 2013/4/6 11:20

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Harrisburg
Dear Board,

Though I can't say that I've personally caught many there are far more trout that spend a portion of the year in the Susquehanna than you would think.

Go to the Flubberdam the week after they air it up in the Spring and check out the activity at the abutment on the Shamokin Dam side. I've seen it look like a hatchery raceway more times than I care to remember, I've even seen Pallies in the mix.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/4/6 11:20
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From LV
Quote:

geebee wrote:
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
I guess they live in places where we'd never expect them.

or pass through those places on the way to spawn...

there's a video on youtube of a fly guy catching a sea run brown on your river, so i for one believe you.

mind you, i WANT to believe you LOL.

I'm not sure of the first fish, the middle fish is a tiger, the 3rd fish is a brown.
However, hybrids are sterile and cannot reproduce, so that rules out moving to spawning areas unless they were along to chase the spawn.
PFBC does not stock tiger trout or so they say, but I saw some fish that I though were tigers being stocked from a PFBC truck that looked like tigers.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 12:02

From LV
For those that care browns tigers and splake have ll been found going through the ladder at Fairmount dam in Philly. They have to be stocked from private clubs and hatcheries.
As for the Susquehanna River the lower river has plenty of trout streams in the lower reaches including some near Marysville so tey could have come from nearby. As to the rest of the river system, nearly all the tribs are trout streams.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 12:09

From Dauphin
if I knew how to post pictures I'd post one I caught off Clarks.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 13:34

From Landenberg, PA
stocked hybrids are sterile. wild hybrids can and do reproduce.

sadly, even sterile hybrids will make spawning runs and the females have been observed making redds.

given that some browns and even some brookies (salters) develop a need or desire to head out to sea to feed i think thats whats they're doing, stocked or not.

maybe one day someone will tag em and we'll know for sure..

Posted on: 2013/4/6 14:05

Quote:

All brook-brown hybrids (tiger trout) are sterile. They're like mules. It doesn't matter whether the hybridization is planned by people or not, it's just a genetic fact.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 14:38

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
Quote:

All brook-brown hybrids (tiger trout) are sterile.

some pages say that wild tigers can though its unusual as they have only a 5% success rate

cuttbows can spawn with either cutts or bows, and they're hybrids. a big PITA for fisheries managers too.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 15:38

From NE OH
Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
All brook-brown hybrids (tiger trout) are sterile. They're like mules. It doesn't matter whether the hybridization is planned by people or not, it's just a genetic fact.

Nature finds a way. There are documented cases of mules reproducing as well. Biology generally follows the rules, but it is not safe to assume it always follows a predictable algorithm. When it comes to biology....never say never. Be very careful when relying on biological "facts", they will eventually let you down. Which is ultimately a good thing, because that is how the genetic code is reshuffled and adaptation takes place in extreme conditions. ( I might have a really extensive biology background )

Posted on: 2013/4/6 19:33

From LV
When cutthroats and rainbows spawn they do not produce sterile hybrids, as both are in the same genus. they produce a mongrel that can and does reproduce. The big issue with that is, if they are both stocked fish or t lest one is stocked, it causes reproduction problem for the fish that is native. It tends to doom the native fish in favor of the hybrids.
When brook trout and browns hybridize they are very seldom if at all able to reproduce for 2 reasons, 1 is they are from a different genus, 2 is because the brook trout has to have a reproductive gene that is defective in order to be able to reproduce with the brown. It also is always a male brookie and female brown. Wild Tiger trout do occur but it is very rare, a few of us on the message board have caught them. When Tiger Trout do occur in the wild they seldom reproduce, because of gene defect of the male parent.
Getting back to the western trout, rainbows and golden trout also hybridize, and the rainbow nearly always wins out here, because the golden trout isn't separated from the rainbow until you get to the sub-species level.
In the natural world all of these hybrids can happen, but reproductive cycles and stream sections usually separate the species enough to prevent it most of the time.
If you want references, see the Robert Behnke book "North American Trout and Salmon."

Posted on: 2013/4/7 12:28

From Dauphin
Ive seen one wild tiger. And the place it came out of was hilarious.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 13:07

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Tyson's house?

Posted on: 2013/4/7 21:02

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Dauphin
No a house in Brooklyn.

but literally the kid who caught it was standing on a road fishing a culvert hole that was extremely tiny.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 9:40

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Nature finds a way.

Thank you Jurrasic Park!

Posted on: 2013/4/8 13:14

From NE OH
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
Thank you Jurrasic Park!

Compliments of Ian Malcolm But it is true nonetheless.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 13:36

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com