Getting Started

Chetty82

Chetty82

A couple years ago i bought a fly tying kit form wal-mart thought it would be cool to tie flies i got a hares ear nymph pheasant tail nymph and a couple of streamers and wooly buggers out of the deal now i know you need alot more than that to tie flies like they give you pliers vise (clamping) threader and a bodkin is it really important to have a hair stacker and a whip finisher and all that othere stuff or can u do with out and not really sure what sulphurs are looked it up online and really didnt help me out much just looking for fishing out at the liitle juniata mainly i live in huntingdon right along stone creek so ther little juniata is my first and only choice cause unless you know somebody in spruce creek you cant fish there

Chetty,
Don't take this the wrong way...but it is difficult to discern what the point of your post is when it lacks a single period and is one run-on sentence.

It seems to me that you're making a point about learning to tie and tools needed (?). I'd suggest that you don't really need a whip finisher tool. A hair stacker is nice but isn't critical. I've used the same ink pen plastic tip cover as a hair stacker for nearly 3 decades. Keep with the fly tying, you'll get better.
As for Spruce Creek- you are right that almost all of it is posted but there is a very nice (although short) section of that stream that is open to the public. Drive a couple miles up from town and there is a brown sign on the right that says "George Harvey." I fished that section yesterday and it is very nice, not to mention loaded with fish.

The problem with the Harvey section is that it is so crowded nobody fishes there. :cool:

Sorry I am not a big fan of putting periods in i am only 26 yrs old. So grammar is not my strong suit. Basically what I am saying is that I am not real familiar with the fly-fishing world and would like to get started. I got a fly rod a couple of flies that I am really not quite sure if they will catch me anything but of course as the more you fish the more knowledgeable you become with what dry fly, wet fly, nymphs, midges, etc.... to use. I did some research on hatch charts and that og the little Juniata cause that is the closest to my house and robably until i get more knowledgeable that will be the only place i fly fish until that day comes when I can match the hatch and all. Just looking for pointers in really being able to get a head start on working on catching some nice trout outta the little juniata.

You may find people unwilling to read and respond to your posts if you casually make it difficult for them to do so.

If that was an original from the Lawyer guy about the crowds he is in the wrong line of work-good one.

If any ponds around with panfish get some panfish flies at Walmarts or anywhere and get out and fish every chance you get until you are a believer-
so often I see posts where the writer lacks faith in fly fishing but the problem is with them self.
It all falls in place once you feel your good,really good-and don't let us kid you-we wouldn't be hanging around if we didn't feel that way-
after all-they are only pea-brain size foes- and the fish aren't too sharp either.
Join TU and get some casting lessons -up front.
all kidding aside it sounds like you are intimidating yourself so relax-and work your way up-panfishing-easy streams-and read

The flies you have described "hares ear nymph pheasant tail nymph and a couple of streamers and wooly buggers " are the core of anyone's fly box. I'd say that you could get started with them.

A local flyshop (http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/content/index.php?id=23) might have beginners classes. Taking one of those (if it's in your budget) should really shorten the learning curve. If not, check out the local library. The one here in Altoona has a number of fly fishing titles that would be helpful. There is always discussion about which book is best, but anyone of them should be helpful.

If the Little J is most convenient than by all means fish it! It's a great piece of water. The advice that is given about which section is best is... "it's all good" and that's very true. Don't worry too much about exactly where to fish, just fish. It's got a big sulphur hatch, so your pheasant tails should work well... all year! So definitely use those.

I live over in Altoona, which is not far. So I would love to offer to help you on the stream, but an accident has left me unable to walk far or wade. So, all I can offer is casting lessons if you are in town sometime.

I don't mean to discourage people form reading my posts. I know some stuff about fly-fishing like all the basics. Just picking the right fly at the right time is my problem. I just simply throw everything at them until one hits. I am just having problems with chosing which fly to use thats all.

Chetty82 wrote:
I don't mean to discourage people form reading my posts. I know some stuff about fly-fishing like all the basics. Just picking the right fly at the right time is my problem. I just simply throw everything at them until one hits. I am just having problems with chosing which fly to use thats all.

Don't get discouraged; I'm there too. See if you can find someone nearby who you can fish with (probably someone from this board). Fishing with an experienced FFer unveils an astronomical amount of knowledge and how-to about the sport. Much, much faster than reading and watching videos.

After a few outings with someone who has more experience you'll be able to figure out what searching patterns you like to use, and how to match the local fish food, be it on top of the water or subsurface.

On a side note...stony creek ended my '09 slump!

Chetty,

Pad gave you some great advise. Many beginning FFers believe that selecting the "magic" fly is the key to success, and if they fished that fly, their luck would suddenly change. The fish are rarely that selective with flies.

As Pad posted, a Hare's Ear, Pheasant tail, and a wooly bugger are sure to catch fish in nearly every stream you fish in PA. Work more on your casting, presentation, and overall fishing skills, and worry less about your fly selection, and you will see a quantum leap in your results. Good luck.

Chetty82 wrote:

I always know what fly to tie on. In fact I have never tied the wrong one on. :roll:

sorry for my flippant post
just backing up Jack and Afish that questions are best asked in a short and explicit manner-otherwise you will get well meant but off the mark answers.
Last try is a good one so I will back off and leave it to the locals
good luck

Everyone starts out at the bottom. Find a Trout Unlimited Chapter,a local fishing club,etc. and join up.There are no real short cuts outside of a good teacher, mentor or a lot of reading. Hands on experience and it's inherent mistakes may be the best teacher.Don't get discouraged. :cool:

Knowing the flies is definitely not easy. You might want to check out the Spruce Creek Flyshop, http://www.sprucecreekoutfitters.org/ They have a hatch chart on the website, but if you call or stop by they could tell you what is active currently, what time of day it's active and where you can expect to see them (ie tail or head of pools, riffles, etc) They can also sell you the imitations and the materials to tye the fly, if you like.

Once you know what to look for, catch a few of the bugs and take a close look at them. Check out a few books from the library with pictures of all the bugs. That will help you ID them.

Of course you don't always need to know that what the fish are rising to is a such and such. Just catching one and seeing that it's greyish and about a size 16 should be enough.

Right now you can go to the lake and practice 8 10 days the "J" will come alive with Sulphur mayflys

my advice is to go to a fly shop and buy some flies. Ask questions and get some basic nymphs and then some dries that match what's coming off now or in the near future.

Then go home and try to make your own with those as your guide. Look in the tips and tricks forum for good advice on presentation and how to actually "fish". the threads on tandem rigs are good.

I gotta agree with Pete on this one, if you are just starting a good bluegill pond is a great place to learn and you won't get bored cause this time of year you can catch em , on top even , you will learn fly rod control and casting and catch fish too.............and they taste real good too.

Chetty82 wrote:
A couple years ago i bought a fly tying kit form wal-mart thought it would be cool to tie flies i got a hares ear nymph pheasant tail nymph and a couple of streamers and wooly buggers out of the deal now i know you need alot more than that to tie flies like they give you pliers vise (clamping) threader and a bodkin is it really important to have a hair stacker and a whip finisher and all that othere stuff or can u do with out and not really sure what sulphurs are looked it up online and really didnt help me out much just looking for fishing out at the liitle juniata mainly i live in huntingdon right along stone creek so ther little juniata is my first and only choice cause unless you know somebody in spruce creek you cant fish there

Even though you can tie, find a local shop that ties. You'll know it right away when you look around. One table that looks like the one you tie on. Find a time when the store isn't busy. If you find the right shop and they have some time ask some specific questions you want help with. Pick one topic, don't go all over the place. Then show them what you tie, open your fly box and again ask them if they can help you. If your flies are good they will pass you to hatches and such. If your flies need help they will automatically either give you the death stare or give you pointers. I haven't seen your flies but should the death stare occur and they seem to totally shut down from conversation, ask them for some fly tying help. Then go from there. If you find the right shop and realize this...they are in the business to make money, so spend some dollars there. Don't over stay your welcome and you'll be a welcome face when you come back. If you get to know them a bit bring Doughnuts. Treat these guys good. I know you want to match hatches and you can read that on any fly shop hatch chart. Most shops have them, but I understand where your coming from. Allot of us that use periods in our sentences are exactly where you are. I never match the hatch and still catch fish. Still like you I always want to get better, because fishing just makes me happy! :)

here wetnet this is a pheasant tail nymph i did today

Where did you get the pattern?

Back