General Pointers For Spring Creek

geebee

geebee

Hi Guys,

I'm making the 3 hour drive up from Chester Co. on Saturday morning, i intend to fish in the afternoon with the nymph and then dry fly after an early dinner till dusk. then nymph again Sunday morning

i've read the reports, got the flies , tippets etc but have a few very general questions:

1. can i fish in just hippers ? or will chest waders be needed to reach the spots.

2. i'm planning to fish above 560 on Spring Creek road - given the current hatches, what type of water should i target each for the nymph and dry fly ? head of pools, tail outs etc

3. good places around SC and Bellafonte for quick lunch, Dinner and breakfast ?

4. is a 3wt or 5wt more suitable to the size of the fish. I prefer a 3wt.

Thanks

Mark.

A 3wt will be fine, so will hip boots, except maybe right below the bridge in Bellefonte.

The "Waffle Shop" for breakfast, "Otto's" for dinner.

Personally I wouldn't want to use hippers on Spring but it could be done. Even in the upper stretches by Spring Creek Park and upstream there are areas where hippers would limit your fishing. As far as fishing work your way through the water until you find what's working. My last time on Spring a week ago or less I got stumped, but there were plenty of riding fish. Restaurants are plenty. Waffle shop, Otto's, Foccia Luna, Cozy Thai, and Rey Azteca are always good choices. I'd feel comfortable with a 3 on Spring.

Hip boots could work, but I'd probably go with chest waders. 3wt would be fine provided it's not a short rod. The waffle shop in Bellefonte is good for breakfast. Governors pub in bellefonte is good for lunch/dinner. Also Robinhood brewing/Home D Pizza off 99 in Bellefonte is one of my favorites.

In Bellefonte, the Waffle Shop for breakfast.

Bonfattos for lunch or dinner.

In the summer, Spring Creek is cooler below Bellefonte than above.

If you fish above Bellefonte and the weather is hot, check your water temps. It can go over 70F above town. But never below town. This is because of cold water coming in from the Big Spring and from Logan Branch.

Fishing below town, the creek is at least 50% larger than above town, so hip boots won't do. Waist highs or chest waders.

Above town hip boots will be OK in most places, unless the water is up. You could bring both.

Little Mamma's Pizza in Pleasant Gap has great stromboli.

Fish will take mice after dark too, if you want to extend beyond dusk.

thanks guys, the 3wt is 9ft.

i'll bring the chesties too then. i've been really enjoying hippers for the last month or so.

i always bring a thermometer, weather looks like 81F with a night time of 63F.

waffle shop & Otto's sound good, thanks.

The waffle shop in Bellefonte and downtown State college are owned and operated by a different owner than the original waffle shop on N.Atherton and College Ave. The latter two are the original and are much better than the ones in bellefonte or downtown SC.

Otto's is good, but has been eclipsed by Happy Valley Brewing Co and Robin hood/home D (also on S. Atherton across from Hills plaza), especially the beer.

PlazaMexican on S. atherton (old Ruby Tuesday's) is considered the new, best place for mexican.

But, you know how it is when you are fishing- proximity is more important than differences in food quality.

hippers will be fine for 90% of Spring creek, you will be limited below bellefonte.

Expect no thermal issues and excellent water conditions Good luck.

+1 on Plaza Azteca on S. Atherton. By far the best authentic Mexican food and margaritas to boot. Red Horse Tavern in Pleasant Gap has outstanding steak burgers and a bottle shop with a good selection. In Bellefonte, Mama Lucrezia for real deal Italian and awesome pizza! Happy Valley Brewing and Governor's Pub are excellent too.

As for Spring, definitely watch the water temps, but I am a fan of Middle and Upper Spring myself- especially this time of year for terrestrial fishing.

+2 on Plaza Azteca. I like both waffle shops equally. Hofbrau has good pizza too.

Wild Trouter, "Mama Lucrezia" is the restaurant I've been trying to think of for a while. I couldn't remember the name of it.

I'll second "Happy Valley Brewing Company" over "Otto's" beer.

Just to avoid confusion
There is Plaza mexican (S. Atherton) and Rey Azteca (benner pike)

thanks guys - they are forecasting an inch of rain on Friday - would that make the river unfishable ?

geebee wrote:
thanks guys - they are forecasting an inch of rain on Friday - would that make the river unfishable ?

No, it will be fine.

It will probably make fishing above Bellefonte a better choice than below.

And it may make it more of a nymphing and streamer situation, with less chance of dry fly fishing.

But sometimes it's surprising how trout will rise in high, stained water, so I'd bring the dry fly boxes along too.

And with the rain and the moderate temperatures in the forecast, it will help keep the water cool, which is an excellent thing.

spring has been clearing quite well and quickly from the last three storms. After the last high water event the water had cleared to a "dry fly level" within 24 hrs. It might be ok, but not clear Saturday.
I have a different experience (or opinion) about where to fish after these types of events. I find the water downstream of bellefonte clears more quickly because a larger portion of the water comes from the spring and Logan branch (which clears quickly) compared to upstream. That is assuming flow won't be the problem.
But look at the gauges. Its not uncommon for 1 in of predicated rain to turn into 0.25 in

forecast is now 2" and localized flooding.

I think this is going to be bust. i'll check tomorrow :(

I looked at the stream around 12:30 pm and it's in very nice condition. Medium flow level.

And a little green, but I could see the rocks on the bottom in 2-3 feet of water.

If it does rain hard and put Spring Creek and other big limers out of shape, I recommend going to a forested freestone stream out in the state forests or gamelands.

Even if we get another 1 1/2 of rain, they should be in prime shape this weekend.

They usually run much more clear than the valley streams.

Back