Gas $, Job Loss and Fishing (Or Lack Of)

S

schrec

It's been awhile since I've posted on this board. For over two months, I've been deep in the abyss of unemployment trying to find a job. That obviously means little money to spend on fishing. With the high price of gas and thus everything else, I've only been able to get out a couple of times. Seemingly impossible two years ago, $4 a gallon gas is now at our doorstep. Yikes! Now that we're in prime time fishing season, how is the price of gas affecting your outings? Are you fishing less? Limiting trip length? Going only to local waters? Polling up with other anglers? Or, for those with deeper pockets, not at all?

schrec
rising fish always

I've been on workers comp since May 20, 2007.........and there is no end in sight......I had to apply for medical retirement because my employer pretty much left me no other option that would help take care of my family......the lawyers suck....workers comp sucks....and my employer could care less....even after 6 years or so of pretty darn good loyalty and work.......

I fish once in a while, whereas I used to fish almost daily......and if I do fish, it is within 15 miles of my house........I have more money going out than I have coming in.....close to losing all I have worked so hard to achieve......but so be it.....it will all work out in the end.....or so I hope

the gas price isn't a worry...........the trip breaker is not having the money for gas to travel all too far........if I was working then I would gas up and go wherever, without a thought........but, with my current situation---I don't have to luxury to not worry about the price of gas.........

all in all though.......with one arm it is tough to fish period.....the therapist said fishing would be great therapy........but currently I am usually not in the mood to fish.......all I have to do is worry, worry, worry

21/2 miles from the river-put kayak in and fish for free-not really,I smoke four cigarettes and a cigar and eat a twinky type treat.Move to Florida-jobs and cheap fishing without boaters bothering you.

pete41 wrote:
21/2 miles from the river-put kayak in and fish for free-not really,I smoke four cigarettes and a cigar and eat a twinky type treat.Move to Florida-jobs and cheap fishing without boaters bothering you.

That makes no sense, so here is a bunny with a waffle on it's head:
180px-Oolong_last_head_performance.jpg

BIG RIVER-about a quarter mile is too close .Google up Daytona Beach-I can go back in Mangroves and not see anyone for hours.Jobs here.
I was suggesting its not a bad place too live-hunting stinks.Come on down.

Pad, you are on a roll. Got some good pain killers or something?

Oolong the bunny is ony of my favorites.

Florida bad. Big swamp . Only first 100 yds off beach nice. That land millions. Rest open drainage ditch .....

Though I have a job, I do travel 46 miles one way to work everyday. The current gas prices hurt and have definitally cut into my fishing & fishing trips!! Have found myself fishing locally more often the last two years and carpooling even on those trips. If three years ago you would have told me fishing Spring Creek or the Little J was a "road trip", I would have laughed and said you owned me a beer! Now, I would offer to go halves with on the gas!!! The sad part is I live 2-3 hours away from these streams and it would cost me $30+ just to drive there with an "06" Chevy Cobalt that gets 30+ MPG!!
We always talk about those "private clubs" and there fees, it's going to cost the same amount to fish public water if this keeps up! Do you cut back on groceries to go fishing with a 2 year old in the house, I don't think so! If you see someone fishing a ditch for a few panfish in West Newton, wave it'll be me!! :-o
JH

PS.. That Bunny w/ the waffle is very FUNNY!! :-D

Its about 100 miles for me to either PA wild trout water or to my southern ohio hunting camp. My friends and I used to go seperately. Now we carpool even if it means cutting trips short or going out of the way a bit for the other guy.

Carpooling does make more time to shoot the crap.

Bradfrom Potter--you lucky dude....

I can walk to Pine Creek (class A -Berks) in about 30 seconds and walk to Bieber Creek in about 12 minutes, Manatawny Creek would be a 30 minute or so walk............if I could ride a Mt. Bike safely.......it would be much quicker

I am lucky to have a class A water on my front porch..........

I have owned land on Bells Gap run for nearly 5 years now and never fished it, now that I have to sell a kidney for a tank of gas I have been fishing it pretty much any chance I get. I cannot wait until my house is finished and I can fish from my front lawn. I have found myself carpooling to the little J, which is only 8 miles from home. I have cut out all of my kayaking trips to WVA, MD, VA and beyond, that really hurt. $4 a gallon sucks. But if you think the oil people are greedy wait until electricity is deregulated we will all be squealing.

Cheer up,The oil profits are going into your pension plans so at least you will be able to retire to Florida at 58 [as I did]and fish 365 for another 40.
Glad I am not still in Montana.Good fishing in walking distance but great fishing was about 60 miles away min.That could add up quickly.

Gas blows and has effected my fishing. I am unemployed but have saved my entire life for this rainy day. Now I have the time but expenses are exploding.

I have bought several energy related investments and they have done great. I am still long on XLE. Coal companies have exploded. Railroads too for that matter, companies looking for cheaper methods of shipping.

Ethanol is another total croc! There is goverment support for this? What a joke. All this is doing is raising the price of corn, of course, that effects just about all foods and animal feeds. Farmers are planting corn like crazy.

Everybody is gonna take their "windfall" and go spend it at Wal-mart. You might want to think about companies that will benefit from people's consumer spending when they get their checks from Uncle Sam- oppps I mean me and you.

What is it Maslow's hiarchy of needs? When things get tight one naturally will revert back to survival instincts (for example I will try to get a job today instead of go fishing). I went through that when I moved to Cali. I was homeless for about a month. I was camping at that time at Folsom Lake. I was right on the water. It was beautiful. Guess how many times I went fishing....0. I was too consumed in trying to find a place to live to string a rod.

It will get better for you guys. Once you navigate the current set of rapids you will come out OK.

As far as gas goes, I generally don't go fishing enough for it to impact me. I maybe get to go a few times a month. The way I justify it is if I was not spending the money on gas to go fishing I would be spending 10 times more at the local big box store working on my house.

I like the car pooling thing. There generally isn't much BS-ing going on while fishing. The car trip is a nice chance to shoot the scheisa.

Get used to a new way of life!! The crude oil has "peaked" all over the earth and it is a "non renewable" resource.
Oil was made one time, 90 million years ago, and we used it up in less than two centuries.
Oil is the blood of the earth! It makes everything from gas to plastic and all the chemicals we use.
- The population was 1 billion before oil, and now it is 6.4 billion and soon will go to 9.5 billion!! That's too many people on earth, out planet can't feed that many.
- The "Green Revolution" that fed the world and started 50 years ago was only petrochemicals!! We eat oil!!!
- The US was the biggest producer of oil for 100 years and peaked in 1970! That is why we have the strongest military and can live in the suburbs and drive 30 to work every day.
- Now we have to pretend that we are looking for weapons of mass destruction while we are really taking the last oil left on the planet...... before China gets it!
- The North Sea oil has also peaked and Europe started importing oil just like we do.

I could go on and on, but in some ways no oil is a good thing!! This will force us to make electric or hydrogen cars if we don't want to ride a horse or peddle a bike!

I've been a avid fisherman all my life, and I can see drastic declines of fish all over the world. Every species of fish, world wide is in a major decline!! All the pollution in the air every day and 25% being absorbed in the ocean, making the pH drop to acidic levels is killing everything. Only the jellyfish are increasing.

Sorry, enough venting. A economist recently said that gas will soon be rationed and $12 to $15 a gallon!

These are the "good old days" so go fishing every chance you get!! Soon you will be wondering why you didn't go fishing more when cheap gas, $4.00 / gal, was still here!

Just facts, check it out for yourself. Just facts, no left or right!

Must be hurting everyone, I live 600 yards from Snyders Run Boat launch on Lake Raystown, did not hear one boat motor today, in past years the boars were roaring up and down the lake all day. That plus the parking lot at the boat launch was over half empty, in previous years there were no parking places on Holidays like this with perfect weather. The lots used to be full and guys were parking where the knew they were going to get a ticket.

I'm still fishing pretty much as much as I want, but doing things a little differently. I've taken 2 weeks vacation devoted to just fishing this spring. I was off fishing for 9 days in a row the last week of april. And, I just returned from fishing 8 days in a row - 2 of which were spent at the jam.
So, what I'm doing basically, is making the most of my trips. Instead of driving 3-4 hours to fish for only 1 or 2 days, I'm staying a lot longer, and getting more return on my gas expense.
I've also been using my wife's car whenever feasable for some of my fishing trips - a saturn that gets almost 40 mpg - instead of my pickup, which gets about 20 mpg.
But things are getting worrisome. My big fear, - besides the high price - is possible gas rationing.
I remember all too well the Arab oil embargo of the '70s.
You could only buy gas every other day depending on your inspection sticker number. And many times, you were limited to like 8-10 gallons at a time. And waiting in very long lines just to get in to the filling station.
Hopefully, we won't see that kind of thing again

The vacation time was a good move this year, since after the Grannoms most of the top action was early in the day instead of late evening.

dryflyguy wrote:
But things are getting worrisome. My big fear, - besides the high price - is possible gas rationing.
I remember all too well the Arab oil embargo of the '70s.
You could only buy gas every other day depending on your inspection sticker number. And many times, you were limited to like 8-10 gallons at a time. And waiting in very long lines just to get in to the filling station.
Hopefully, we won't see that kind of thing again

It's highly unlikely. The rise in gas prices doesn't have anything to do with supply. There is sufficient oil and gas available to meet US demand (which is currently falling slightly).

The rise in prices is due to commodity speculators. Oil futures are traded in dollars. Thanks to the falling value of the US dollar, it's very lucrative for foreign investors to use their stronger currency to buy up oil stocks.

The way out of this is to strengthen the dollar. Which would mean tightening credit. And that would put more people into foreclosure.

Back