Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Funny Experience

From Philadelphia PA
Thanks JackM for responding to my question without naming any books (I don't think there are any books that talk about fishing ethics anyways). The Coast guard has some guides that deal with boat safety - which may include right away, port/starboard respect lanes, etc. But as you mentioned you taught your kids and some friends and passed on your understanding of ethics in fishing. Which is probably different than my understanding.
I came from a broken family and my dad would beat things into me. Now I live in the city and the creeks are congested with fisherpeople. Since I am so used to seeing others - I may not realize others/my boundries when I am out fishing in the country.

Hookjaw - the fish don't care how a person looks unless the person is standing right in front of them. I wonder if fish laugh when they see all those colors! And then you have all these angler programs on TV where their boats are all decked out with bright colors. They still seam to catch fish.

Remember the Serenity Prayer includes everyone. Do not take it personal when someone accidentally invades your box. Getting all hot under the collar will not help you become a better fisherperson - having more understanding of others will.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 16:21
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:

Remember the Serenity Prayer includes everyone. Do not take it personal when someone accidentally invades your box. Getting all hot under the collar will not help you become a better fisherperson - having more understanding of others will.

Excellent advice.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 5:24

Quote:

JackM wrote:
I have, during crowded conditions. Never when I could move up or down a way and give some room. Still, some folks are used to fishing close to others and actually feel another angler is selfish in not accepting the close company.

You are consistent. I gotta give you that.

The haves are greedy. and those that want it without earning it are not. Right?

Posted on: 2013/6/12 5:30

From Monessen, PA
Just making an observation that many anglers do not see any issue in joining you in a pool or competing with you to get whatever quarry is swimming in it. Thus your objection or aggravation appears selfish to them.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 7:01

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Philadelphia PA
JackM
It was the distance that I felt appeared selfish - It has to do with my fishing local - which is extremely congested during stocking. I still will ask others if I can join in before laying down some line.
Sometimes my presentation of a nymph will get the fish into a feeding frenzie where the non-flyer has a better chance to catch the trout - thus all are happy.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 8:55
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Monessen, PA
I agree with your frustration. Again, just an observation.

Two instances come to mind:

On a local FFO, some guy with a fly rod walked up to the streem about 30 feet above me, perched on a rock above the plungepool and began working his #6 wooly bugger through the run. I had been patiently casting from the rear of the run into the current tongue.

On a local all tackle trophy trout section of river, I was casting to a single riser, that looked like a nice fish. Some guy approaches from the other side and starts casting to the exact same fish, with a streamer.

Both times I made a comment about the proximity and they both reacted as if I was crazy to think that way.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:02

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Monessen, PA
All this said, if either had asked if I minded, I would likely have yielded the spot to them. As it turns out, I yielded the spot on the FFO, but the encroaching angler yielded the riser to me. Or should I say, I was not leaving the riser until one of us put it down.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:05

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Philadelphia PA
thus competition....I knew you had a competitive side to ya.

Last year (October) when I was at Salmon River - I think most of us were about 20 feet from each other casting to the same Giants coming upstream. I even helped a person net his hooked salmon (with his own net - mine was to small).

I didn't take home any cause the salmon were doing hook and release with me. At that point I realized "I'm going to need a bigger net!"

Posted on: 2013/6/12 10:38

Quote:

JackM wrote:
Just making an observation that many anglers do not see any issue in joining you in a pool or competing with you to get whatever quarry is swimming in it. Thus your objection or aggravation appears selfish to them.

And insisting on crowding in is not, right?

I was mostly just busting your chops as I am sure you know.

But it does work both ways, and I swear that most people are incapable of viewing things from others perspective. It's the me generation.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:14

From Philadelphia PA

Now days there is a fine line between insisting and being dead....and I would much rather live another day to fish another day.

How long should one stay at a pool when they are not catching any fish - but can see them?

Posted on: 2013/6/12 12:45

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com