Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Fryin' up wild browns

From Ephrata, PA
An interesting thought. As we pulled up to Lyman Run on Friday, BradfromPotter noted that "they" really encourage the harvesting of the browns on that stream. This is a wild brook trout enhancement stream, and many of us know how brownies can really take over a stream and push the brookies out. So how do you guys feel about the harvesting in this situation?

I realize many of us have no problem harvesting wild or native fish from time to time, others have a serious problem with it. Just a little fun for Wed. morning.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:35

Re: Fryin' up wild browns

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yes, you SHOULD harvest in that situation.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:37

From Ephrata, PA
Take a few of those stocked bows that come up from Lyman Lake while you're at it, in my opinion!

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:47

They require harvest of browns in Shenandoah park. I'm not sure I believe it makes a difference.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 9:01

I hold zero reservations about harvesting any fish within the guides of the law.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 9:18

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah there are a lot of folks who feel the same way. I personally don't make it a habit to harvest wild fish (especially natives), but I have been known to do it from time to time-especially when camping.

It's interesting to think about though. There are some who lose sleep over the idea that a wild trout might have died at the hands of an angler. I can't help but wonder how they feel in this situation.

Midnight, I tend to think you're right. It probably doesn't help the situation. It certainly won't hurt though (assuming the angler recognizes the difference between a brown and brook trout! LOOK AT THE SIGNS!), and its a tasty contribution I for one am willing to make.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 9:24

From Ligonier
I think it makes sense and should be done, though personally I couldn't harvest a wild or native fish. I know, I'm a hypocrite.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 9:30

From Ephrata, PA
An honest one, though! I appreciate that.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 9:34

From NEPA
My thinking is this when it comes to both fishing and hunting.....if you plan on eating what you harvest then there isnt an issue. I don't like that taste of trout, therefore I practice C&R when I fish by myself but if I'm fishing with a buddy and I know that they will eat the fish I will keep enough to make a meal, which is usually only one or two nice size fish.

I often wondered why they stock Lyman Lake with rainbows when the headwaters are a Wild Brook Trout Enhancement area. I'm headed up that way on May 8-11, cant wait to get in God's country.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 9:54

From Mount Joy, PA
I have zero interest in harvesting any fish, even within the scope of the law. Fishing to me is a recreational endeavor, but I don't hold it against anyone who harvests legally. If I were to fish this stream, I would not harvest any fish.

The fact that brown trout are "pushing" out the native brook trout may be immaterial in a number of years as our waters warm to the point of not being able to hold trout!

Posted on: 2013/5/1 9:59

From Ephrata, PA
The lake is a popular spot for tourists and locals to fish for trout. I have no problem w/ them stocking the bows. Sure some come up from the lake, but not that far. The stream splits several times just about the lake for about 3/4 of a mile or so. I never caught a bow upstream of all those splits (that doesn't mean anything, I only fished the stream about a dozen times over the last decade so someone with more time put on it may speak differently).

Someone in the know, did they used to stock brownies in the lake? Is that how the browns got into Lyman Run?

Posted on: 2013/5/1 10:01

Quote:

foxfire wrote:
I think it makes sense and should be done, though personally I couldn't harvest a wild or native fish. I know, I'm a hypocrite.

But only wild fish from my backyard. Right?

I'm guessing most people who have similar reservations have zero problems buying wild fish from the store, often from fisheries that are in far, far worse shape. But people can't fly feesh for cod, and cod isn't in your local stream, so #censor#'em, right?!

I think native/wild fish are more resilient then most people give them credit for. IMO, if a stream is in such rough shape that fish shouldn't be harvested from it, it should just be closed from fishing.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 10:02

midnightangler, the requirement for anglers to "remove" brown trout from Shenandoah brookie streams is apparently a success. (You either have to keep them for yourself, or toss them in the bushes for the critters to eat.)

However, I'm not sure how effective that policy would be if it were the only control measure taken- the Fish&Game (or maybe it's the US Wildlife Service) people have also done several electroshock sweeps of the affected streams to cull the browns from the Park streams (there aren't very many where brown trout had a natural wild population; the Rose River, iirc the Conway River, and maybe a few others.)

As for harvesting brown trout from native brook trout streams in Pa.- go for it!

Posted on: 2013/5/1 10:11

From Central, PA

I don't ever keep trout but I find nothing wrong with harvesting a trout now and then

Posted on: 2013/5/1 10:18

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
I have zero interest in harvesting any fish, even within the scope of the law. Fishing to me is a recreational endeavor, but I don't hold it against anyone who harvests legally. If I were to fish this stream, I would not harvest any fish.

The fact that brown trout are "pushing" out the native brook trout may be immaterial in a number of years as our waters warm to the point of not being able to hold trout!

Or get too cold and hinder the growth season!
http://principia-scientific.org/suppo ... ide-cools-atmosphere.html

Posted on: 2013/5/1 10:25

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com