Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Frustrated Land Owner

From Ephrata, PA
I was out at a small, tight brookie stream after work yesterday. Its on private land, but the sign indicates that the land owner has an agreement with the game commission to allow people to use his land for hiking, hunting, etc. Its actually a nature preserve. It's absolutely beautiful back there. There are a few remains of old cabins (stone chimneys still standing), a walking path, and a tiny, tiny stream that eventually flows into a reservoir.

I never see any trash back there, which is wonderful. On my walk out, I ran into the land owner. He was younger than my dad. Probably in his upper 40s. The land has been in his family for a long, long time. He stopped and thanked me for "just being a normal guy". I laughed and told him some people would question the normality of a guy who tromps through poison ivy and thorns to catch 5"-8" brookies. He said he has been having such a problem w/ teens back on his property partying all night. He said, "I told them I'm cool w/ them doing it, hell I did it when I was their age, but at least clean up after yourself and put your fire out when you're done!" I could see from the fire pit behind him that some of the logs still had hot embers. This is what really pissed him off. he said in the past week he put out 3 different smoking fire sites that weren't put out correctly. He seems at his wits end.

I thanked him for allowing us on his land, and tried to sympathize w/ his plight. I said that as a fly fisherman, I see more and more private land being posted because of these kinds of problems. I said I'd hate lose access to his property, but I'd fully understand if he posted it.

It's a shame. Why can't people just respect others' property? Talking to land owners, many of them want people to enjoy their property but get frustrated at this crap and, eventually, post their land. When we talk about jerk land owners, I can't help but wonder if they really are jerks, or if circumstances simply have made them cynical over the years.

On the upside, I mentioned how his stream is just littered with brookies. He said when he was a kid, it wasn't that way. He said the brookies were almost completely gone from the stream, and he has been able to watch over the years as they've come back to a strong, healthy population. That's a great testimony to the fish and to caring land owners!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 8:41

Re: Frustrated Land Owner

From Mont Co, Pa
Good post! It really is as simple as just having respect for others and their property. So basic.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 8:58

From Philadelphia PA
Unfortunately a lot of parents forgot how or failed to pass simple traditions down to the kids. Respect, Pick up after yourself, Don't back talk, cooking, etc.
But this stems even further......People from other countries (I know I married one) are accustomed to just leaving their trash where ever and let someone else take care of it. In Panama City business and everyone dump their trash in the street and it gets picked up somehow. When I was there - I was completly dismayed by what I saw.

I don't know if I would have used the word "Littered" when refering to trout in the river. But it probably lightened the tension. Circumstances more than likely dictated land owners becoming cynical for sure.

My recommendation would be for us all to carry a big garbage bag when we are tracking across some properties and remove what we can. The Property owner and nature will thank you for it - even if not spoken.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 9:32
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Ephrata, PA
I never even thought about the word, "littered". I use it all the time when talking about streams with dense fish populations!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 9:36

From Central, PA

Has to be frustrating alot of times being a landowner along fishing streams. People just will never stop littering and doing dumb things.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 9:53

From Lancaster, PA
I sympathized with the land owner, however, this kind of behavior comes with being a landowner in rural areas. People will trespass regardless of signs because they have no respect for authority and privacy. Hopefully nothing bad ever comes of it. But I work in law enforcement and it's only a matter of time until some jackass acts up.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 12:18

Offer to help the landowner pick up trash. Enlist fellow flyfishers you know to do the same. That seems like the best idea to help keep the land open. Or did you have some other idea in mind?

Posted on: 2013/5/8 12:26

From harlansburg
If it were mine, id post it, kick out the kids partying, and allow people to fish, hunt, hike with permission. Only a matter of time till the party turns stupid and dangerous, someone gets hurt, and some idiot parent sues his ass for being a nice guy.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 12:43

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Pro Tip: If you are gonna be stupid enough to condone underage drinking on your property, don't double down on the stupid and actually admit it to people.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 12:45

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
If it were mine, id post it, kick out the kids partying, and allow people to fish, hunt, hike with permission. Only a matter of time till the party turns stupid and dangerous, someone gets hurt, and some idiot parent sues his ass for being a nice guy.

Why would the parent be an idiot to sue in that situation? It's not like the kids are trespassing and drinking, this guy is actually inviting them to drink on his property.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 12:47

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah I don't know what his deal is w/ the drinking. Seems like he's just tryin' to be a "cool" guy, letting kids be kids and all that. I think his mentality is, "I'm being cool w/ you guys, can't you be cool back and just take care of my shiznit?"

Hey may have said, "kids" instead of "teens". I may have translated kids into teens. I don't really think of twenty-somethings as "kids" but when I'm in my 50s I might.

Who the crap knows? It was a conversation, I wasn't recording it verbatum. Does it really matter? He still shouldn't have fires to put out on his property.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 13:01

From Luzerne County, PA
All you kids are the same, with your drinkin and partying, aye me lucky charms

Posted on: 2013/5/8 15:50

From York, PA
1). A shame, kudos for him allowing enjoyment of his land

2). The guy is asking for trouble.

3). Open access doesn't have to mean all access.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 16:36

From Landenberg, PA
simple to solve - put a sign up - "WARNING - Rattlesnakes about, for your own safety, please wear waders".

most fisherman would figure that out, but not the kids. lol.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 17:45

From Monessen, PA
He should not condone illegalities on his land. It is best to have things stand on a nod and a wink.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 18:17

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com