Frustrated Land Owner

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

I was out at a small, tight brookie stream after work yesterday. Its on private land, but the sign indicates that the land owner has an agreement with the game commission to allow people to use his land for hiking, hunting, etc. Its actually a nature preserve. It's absolutely beautiful back there. There are a few remains of old cabins (stone chimneys still standing), a walking path, and a tiny, tiny stream that eventually flows into a reservoir.

I never see any trash back there, which is wonderful. On my walk out, I ran into the land owner. He was younger than my dad. Probably in his upper 40s. The land has been in his family for a long, long time. He stopped and thanked me for "just being a normal guy". I laughed and told him some people would question the normality of a guy who tromps through poison ivy and thorns to catch 5"-8" brookies. He said he has been having such a problem w/ teens back on his property partying all night. He said, "I told them I'm cool w/ them doing it, hell I did it when I was their age, but at least clean up after yourself and put your fire out when you're done!" I could see from the fire pit behind him that some of the logs still had hot embers. This is what really pissed him off. he said in the past week he put out 3 different smoking fire sites that weren't put out correctly. He seems at his wits end.

I thanked him for allowing us on his land, and tried to sympathize w/ his plight. I said that as a fly fisherman, I see more and more private land being posted because of these kinds of problems. I said I'd hate lose access to his property, but I'd fully understand if he posted it.

It's a shame. Why can't people just respect others' property? Talking to land owners, many of them want people to enjoy their property but get frustrated at this crap and, eventually, post their land. When we talk about jerk land owners, I can't help but wonder if they really are jerks, or if circumstances simply have made them cynical over the years.

On the upside, I mentioned how his stream is just littered with brookies. He said when he was a kid, it wasn't that way. He said the brookies were almost completely gone from the stream, and he has been able to watch over the years as they've come back to a strong, healthy population. That's a great testimony to the fish and to caring land owners!

Good post! It really is as simple as just having respect for others and their property. So basic.

Unfortunately a lot of parents forgot how or failed to pass simple traditions down to the kids. Respect, Pick up after yourself, Don't back talk, cooking, etc.
But this stems even further......People from other countries (I know I married one) are accustomed to just leaving their trash where ever and let someone else take care of it. In Panama City business and everyone dump their trash in the street and it gets picked up somehow. When I was there - I was completly dismayed by what I saw.

I don't know if I would have used the word "Littered" when refering to trout in the river. But it probably lightened the tension. Circumstances more than likely dictated land owners becoming cynical for sure.

My recommendation would be for us all to carry a big garbage bag when we are tracking across some properties and remove what we can. The Property owner and nature will thank you for it - even if not spoken.

I never even thought about the word, "littered". I use it all the time when talking about streams with dense fish populations!

Has to be frustrating alot of times being a landowner along fishing streams. People just will never stop littering and doing dumb things.

I sympathized with the land owner, however, this kind of behavior comes with being a landowner in rural areas. People will trespass regardless of signs because they have no respect for authority and privacy. Hopefully nothing bad ever comes of it. But I work in law enforcement and it's only a matter of time until some jackass acts up.

Offer to help the landowner pick up trash. Enlist fellow flyfishers you know to do the same. That seems like the best idea to help keep the land open. Or did you have some other idea in mind?

If it were mine, id post it, kick out the kids partying, and allow people to fish, hunt, hike with permission. Only a matter of time till the party turns stupid and dangerous, someone gets hurt, and some idiot parent sues his *** for being a nice guy.

Pro Tip: If you are gonna be stupid enough to condone underage drinking on your property, don't double down on the stupid and actually admit it to people.

bikerfish wrote:
If it were mine, id post it, kick out the kids partying, and allow people to fish, hunt, hike with permission. Only a matter of time till the party turns stupid and dangerous, someone gets hurt, and some idiot parent sues his *** for being a nice guy.

Why would the parent be an idiot to sue in that situation? It's not like the kids are trespassing and drinking, this guy is actually inviting them to drink on his property.

Yeah I don't know what his deal is w/ the drinking. Seems like he's just tryin' to be a "cool" guy, letting kids be kids and all that. I think his mentality is, "I'm being cool w/ you guys, can't you be cool back and just take care of my shiznit?"

Hey may have said, "kids" instead of "teens". I may have translated kids into teens. I don't really think of twenty-somethings as "kids" but when I'm in my 50s I might.

Who the crap knows? It was a conversation, I wasn't recording it verbatum. Does it really matter? He still shouldn't have fires to put out on his property.

All you kids are the same, with your drinkin and partying, aye me lucky charms

1). A shame, kudos for him allowing enjoyment of his land

2). The guy is asking for trouble.

3). Open access doesn't have to mean all access.

simple to solve - put a sign up - "WARNING - Rattlesnakes about, for your own safety, please wear waders".

most fisherman would figure that out, but not the kids. lol.

He should not condone illegalities on his land. It is best to have things stand on a nod and a wink.

As a heavy underage drinker, I think it would be great to have a place like that. I mean we have houses but not a woods along a trout stream. My parents would never sue though they would probably just call me a dumbass. Nothing like waking up drinking a beer and catching brookies.

Not to get all morbid, but are you sure how your parents would feel if they knew someone provided you and other underage kids a safe haven to consume alcohol and something bad happened? Think about it.

If I caught underage drinkers on my land, I wouldn't turn them in, but I'd give them a good talking to about responsibility and such. Maybe even teach them a few tricks. But, if in the process, I learned they were not responsibile scofflaws, I'd boot them to the curb and call the cops if they disregarded ny request that they stay off my land.

No doubt Jack, most of our close friends and our parents are close, and we have a private lake where we have fires and camp out. The fishing stinks, but at camp were able to drink and walk to various trout streams and not have to worry about a whole lot. The one parent who owns it will come down and take all our keys. As long as were not causing ruckus we mainly just sit around B.S and drink beer. Too much to lose with drinking and driving now adays, we have to be smart. Now when we go to IUP that's when we get silly !!!

I certainly recognize that a large number of land owners have come to post their land due to disrespect showed to them, their family and their property. It would be interesting if a survey could be done to determine how much land has been posted due to a bad experience with guests.

Back in the day when wild pheasants were plentiful in PA, I had to break ties with my best buddy because of his belief that unposted land was open without the need for obtaining advance permission. One farm that I spent many summers working for the farmer in exchange for the privilege to hunt was lost when my friend (who was told to wait in the truck) ran into a field shooting at pheasants standing in a cut corn field while I was on the farmer's front porch making sure the fields we planned to hunt did not have livestock in them. Suffice it to say that after watching my friend fire over the head of cattle grazing less than 50 yards from where he was standing and in his line of sight, suffice it to say i never hunted that farm again. I certainly do not blame the farmer as my friend comitted an unforgivable act which reflected negatively on me.

I knew a farmer when I was a kid who closed some of the best fishing around after some idiots, who were given permission to camp on his land, burned dozens of fence posts when they ran out of firewood. The farmer and his sons spent the next couple of days rounding up 20 or so dairy cows that escaped through the 100 yard opening in the fence. Many of you who fish SCPA may recognize the stream - Green Spring Creek. The farm was immediately below the hatchery on the headwater. It was some of the best fishing I've ever experienced. Wild brookies out the kazoo. Such a waste.

I've seen it, some of todays kids think it's their "right" to party on other people's land, thinking that no one has the right to own the land and that it belongs to everyone.
welcome to the age of the "I'm entitled to whatever I want".
no respect for private property, no respect for the work that property owner did to obtain that property. no respect period.
some of todays kids are gonna learn a very hard lesson, very, very soon, and they are NOT going to like the outcome.

Back