Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Frustrated Land Owner

From Butler, Pa
As a heavy underage drinker, I think it would be great to have a place like that. I mean we have houses but not a woods along a trout stream. My parents would never sue though they would probably just call me a dumbass. Nothing like waking up drinking a beer and catching brookies.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 18:22

From Monessen, PA
Not to get all morbid, but are you sure how your parents would feel if they knew someone provided you and other underage kids a safe haven to consume alcohol and something bad happened? Think about it.

If I caught underage drinkers on my land, I wouldn't turn them in, but I'd give them a good talking to about responsibility and such. Maybe even teach them a few tricks. But, if in the process, I learned they were not responsibile scofflaws, I'd boot them to the curb and call the cops if they disregarded ny request that they stay off my land.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 18:31

From Butler, Pa
No doubt Jack, most of our close friends and our parents are close, and we have a private lake where we have fires and camp out. The fishing stinks, but at camp were able to drink and walk to various trout streams and not have to worry about a whole lot. The one parent who owns it will come down and take all our keys. As long as were not causing ruckus we mainly just sit around B.S and drink beer. Too much to lose with drinking and driving now adays, we have to be smart. Now when we go to IUP that's when we get silly !!!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 20:17

From Newville, PA
I certainly recognize that a large number of land owners have come to post their land due to disrespect showed to them, their family and their property. It would be interesting if a survey could be done to determine how much land has been posted due to a bad experience with guests.

Back in the day when wild pheasants were plentiful in PA, I had to break ties with my best buddy because of his belief that unposted land was open without the need for obtaining advance permission. One farm that I spent many summers working for the farmer in exchange for the privilege to hunt was lost when my friend (who was told to wait in the truck) ran into a field shooting at pheasants standing in a cut corn field while I was on the farmer's front porch making sure the fields we planned to hunt did not have livestock in them. Suffice it to say that after watching my friend fire over the head of cattle grazing less than 50 yards from where he was standing and in his line of sight, suffice it to say i never hunted that farm again. I certainly do not blame the farmer as my friend comitted an unforgivable act which reflected negatively on me.

I knew a farmer when I was a kid who closed some of the best fishing around after some idiots, who were given permission to camp on his land, burned dozens of fence posts when they ran out of firewood. The farmer and his sons spent the next couple of days rounding up 20 or so dairy cows that escaped through the 100 yard opening in the fence. Many of you who fish SCPA may recognize the stream - Green Spring Creek. The farm was immediately below the hatchery on the headwater. It was some of the best fishing I've ever experienced. Wild brookies out the kazoo. Such a waste.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 21:25

From harlansburg
I've seen it, some of todays kids think it's their "right" to party on other people's land, thinking that no one has the right to own the land and that it belongs to everyone.
welcome to the age of the "I'm entitled to whatever I want".
no respect for private property, no respect for the work that property owner did to obtain that property. no respect period.
some of todays kids are gonna learn a very hard lesson, very, very soon, and they are NOT going to like the outcome.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 22:59

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
If it were mine, id post it, kick out the kids partying, and allow people to fish, hunt, hike with permission. Only a matter of time till the party turns stupid and dangerous, someone gets hurt, and some idiot parent sues his ass for being a nice guy.

Not sure how this works in this case, honestly. What you are talking about is posting, period. Generally speaking, landowner has little or no liability if they don't post. They do have liability if they do post. Hence, lawsuit more likely if you do as you say, and pretty much immune to it if he leaves it open.

But, knowingly allowing illegal activity could shift that a little.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 9:46

From Ephrata, PA
yeah and like I said, "teen" may be my own interpretation of the word, "kids".

Posted on: 2013/5/9 9:49

And when I was a teen, we frequently had parties in the woods (private property, not our own). Some had beer, some didn't.

As the leaders, we tried to pick up after ourselves, but I won't swear that we got everything. We did have cops chase us a few times. They had to cross a big field to get to where we were. It was pretty funny. They'd park, shine their lights up towards us and the fire. Get out and start walking. We'd watch them get about half way across the field, and then scatter into the woods, taking any alcohol with us. They'd get there, shine the flashlights around a bit, yell something like "we'll get you kids". Then they'd give up and walk back to the car. We were back around the fire before they made it back to the vehicles.

What were they gonna do? It's night, and we know the woods far better than them. If they search the woods and see one of us, we'd just run, and they weren't gonna catch us.

A neighbor (who was also a FB coach) caught us with alcohol once. He walked his dogs through the woods every day. Came back the next day, and I was in the yard with my dad. He stopped and said "It's such a warm day, I climbed that big hill, and by the top I was just exhausted, hot and sweaty. I sat down in a little clearing, and God must of been smiling on me, cause you'll never believe what I found. There were 4 unopened beers sitting there, still on ice!" My dad gave me a look, and then the neighbor said "I hope you don't mind, I drank 3 of em". And he wasn't lying.

I was grounded for a month. Moral of the story. Finish your beer!

Posted on: 2013/5/9 9:57

Quote:
I had to break ties with my best buddy because of his belief that unposted land was open without the need for obtaining advance permission.

Legally, he was right. Though, based on the rest of the story, that doesn't exclude him from also being an idiot. ;)

Posted on: 2013/5/9 10:01

From Central, PA

Was fishing last night and saw a 12 pack of empty cans on a rock in the stream lol

Posted on: 2013/5/9 11:36

From Lancaster, Pa
Sas,
If you need someone to put in some weekend volunteer work over there I am game.... Anything that will help us keep good waters and lands open..... message me if you like

Posted on: 2013/5/12 6:17

From Chester County
Quote:

JVenezia wrote:
Sas,
If you need someone to put in some weekend volunteer work over there I am game.... Anything that will help us keep good waters and lands open..... message me if you like

^ @ 50 Jamie!

Posted on: 2013/5/12 6:29

From Lancaster, Pa
Yay Afish.... I am racking them up now.. This thread also brings something to mind do we as a group ever get together for any trout type community service as in clean a water way or build ripples or rock forms? If not is anyone interested? I am sure the fish and boat commission could provide us a list of such co-op properties where we could at least do our part from time to time to keep good water open, thriving, on the mend and clean.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 8:14

From LV
Put all teenage boys on ridilin until they are 25.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 9:02

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
If it were mine, id post it, kick out the kids partying, and allow people to fish, hunt, hike with permission. Only a matter of time till the party turns stupid and dangerous, someone gets hurt, and some idiot parent sues his ass for being a nice guy.

Why would the parent be an idiot to sue in that situation? It's not like the kids are trespassing and drinking, this guy is actually inviting them to drink on his property.

Really? The best you got is to lump it all on a frustrated landowner who's trying to allow people to enjoy his property but imploring with some probably "over-privileged" young people to at least clean-up after themselves and put their freakin' fires out. I'm not saying he's going about it in the best way but he's trying to connect with him and not come off as some prick so they at least stop trashing his property and creating fire hazards. He's trying to get them to have a little respect and common sense which apparently their parents haven't succeeded in doing.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 11:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com