Frosty Fishing Today

Alnitak

Alnitak

Sunny and 39F? The only thing to do is fish, even if we did just get 20" of snow here in Lancaster County. My nephew and I headed out to the Donegal today and while the fish weren't biting very much, we did manage to land a total of eight between us, six rainbows and two browns. Here's a really fat rainbow I caught, right around 11" but I didn't measure it when I had it and I shot my nephew took of me working the pool this fish was lurking in.

Jeff

Attachments

• PAFF-02482.jpg
    PAFF-02482.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 9
  • PAFF-02495.jpg
    PAFF-02495.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 4
Wow. That is a well fed fish.

Yeah I had no idea today was going to be that warm - I went for a walk after lunch here and it was a gorgeous day. I knew I should have gone out lol.

Yea, he's a fatty. Congrats on hooking up and getting out.

If that bow was about 11" it was more than likely stocked in October of 2012 during the first round of the fingerling stocking program. I believe most of those fish were in the 7-8" range when they were stocked. It does sure look like that one has been eating well. It must have found itself a prime lie right beside the food conveyor. During their first year many of those fish appeared to be a bit thin.

Wow, that is one fat rainbow. Nice job.

GC

I just measured the fishing rod and the fish was just a little bit over 10" so a little shorter than I estimated, but not much. This was caught just above 772, out of the FFO area. I've caught several fat rainbows up there this winter.

Speaking of rainbows, yesterday I caught one that was only about 7" and maybe less. It did have a clipped adipose fin. It was down just above the bridge over Route 23. My nephew caught a tiny one--he said it was only about 4" but he forgot to check the fin. I wish he had--at 4" it seems too small to have been part of the stocking. Did they stock any fry or put any eggs in there?

Jeff

Fingerlings were stocked, but they were probably 6-7 inches again. The smaller RT that your nephew caught was probably wild, as there is very limited RT reproduction in Donegal to go along with the much better BT reprod.

Back