For those of you going to the Jamboree

eballat

eballat

For those of you going to the Jamboree this coming weekend i have a little food for thought for you. I was just at my cabin for Memorial Day and had the pleasure of fishing the Pine Creek and Slate Run as well as the Class A that runs by my cabin for the past 4 days. For this time of year the Pine Creek is running at about 2/3 of what it should be. This has slowed down the fishing considerably compared to what it was like two weeks ago. So pray for rain. With the heat we have been having lately it will only get worse. The Sulphur hatch is starting to come off as well as the Grey Fox. I'd fish a 14-16 sulphur and from what i could see in the air a 10-12 Grey. Lots of activity just under the surface on emergers. Because of the stream conditions right now, i'd only fish the Pine from sun up to about 7-8 am and the again at like 7 pm to dark. For the in-between time i would hit up Slate Run or another local Class A. However, with the stream flowing the way it is there is a little more traffic on them right now than i usually see. For more information throughout the week on stream conditions, hatchs, etc. go to www.slaterun.com. That is the page for Wolfe's general store and orvis shop located right in Slate Run. He's usually very accurate, however last week his server was down and i got stuck reading week old info. I showed up to the Pine with a box full of olive and tan caddis with a hatch of bright yellow sulphurs and greys coming off. oh well...we will adapt, haha. Tight lines fellas and happy fishing. Ed

Ed, thanks for the hatch report and stream conditions. A little rain beforehand would be appreciated, if you can swing it.

Sandfly, if we wanted to find your fly shop, how would we do it? All I can find on your site as far as directions is this "just west of Wellsboro Pa. On route 6." Is there a sign, a street address? I might be coming from Rte 287, or eastward from camp along Rte 6. Thanks in advance.

JackM wrote:
Sandfly, if we wanted to find your fly shop, how would we do it? All I can find on your site as far as directions is this "just west of Wellsboro Pa. On route 6." Is there a sign, a street address? I might be coming from Rte 287, or eastward from camp along Rte 6. Thanks in advance.

Jack...in that case...it'd be "just west of Wellsboro on Route 6". :lol: Seriously...I think we forget sometimes from living in the suburbs that thinkgs are not packed so tightly in the box in the country.

its on the right after marsh creek (coming from wellsboro).
there is a small sign also.

Since I'm reasonbly certain Jack won't be go for the Wellsboro side, Go East from the Campground on RT. 6 to Wellsboro. As you approach Ansonia you will see farm fields on either side of the road and a turn for Colton Point SP. The Shop is on the left just past this road, West Rim Rd. and next to the Church. If you cross Marsh Creek you gone too far.

Just found out I have a baseball game on friday night and one on monday night...It'll be rushed, but I'm gonna head up sat morning and leave on monday before noon. It looks like they might get a thunder storm or two mid week. That should help a little if they don't run off too fast.

It is shaping up to be a traditional Jamboree:

Today
May 29 Sunny
78°/48°

Wed
May 30 Isolated T-Storms
84°/58°

Thu
May 31 Isolated T-Storms
84°/60°

Fri
Jun 1 Scattered T-Storms
84°/59°

Sat
Jun 2 T-Showers
81°/58°

Sun
Jun 3 Scattered T-Storms
71°/52°

Mon
Jun 4 T-Showers
68°/50°

Welp, the itinerary is confirmed.

Skip class, and work morning instead of afternoon. Leave radnor area by noonish, pit stop in reading for gear and beverages, pit stop at cabela's for last minute gear, ideally be there to set up and make the evening rise.

fish, eat, socialize, sleep, eat, fish, eat, fish, socialize, eat, socialize, sleep, fish, leave.

I can deal with that.

Look forward to meeting you guys.

Who's got the head count? Anyhow, I am praying for the thunderstorms for Saturday and Sunday. After hearing all the horror stories about crowded streams, it will help keep the fair-weather crowd at home.

I am bringing a bicycle...I plan to spend a day biking into the canyon to fish more remote areas of pine. Since I've never been there. May hit up a class A along the way too. Anyway. it might be an option if ya hadn't thought of it.

Maurice

That's a good idea maurice.

If my bike fits in the car.... and if I can stand to bike with a 2 piece rod (as opposed to a nice traveler) I might give it a shot as well.

somethin i used to do at stony through the gated section was attach a pvc tube to the bike, via duct tape. you can carry your rod in there.

That sounds like a plan. I was just thinkin about taping my rod case to the bike... Just going to be a PITA to keep reassembling and rethreading the damn thing... All that aside... There is a more pressing issue:

Anyone ever have any luck getting a 21 speed mountain bike into a 2005 Neon? I'm not sure how it's gonna go.

I spent this past Sat camping about 4 miles downstream from where the jam is being held.

I started the weekend Fri at Penns. No action til just at dark then the stream came alive. I caught 3 in about 15 minutes, and missed several more. Sulphurs and March Browns were the main feast, but there were lots of other bugs.

Sat morning I headed up to Pine. I fished in the late afternoon for a half hour in some fast water and caught a nice rainbow on a woolybugger. Then waited til near dark and fish a slow long pool. Only a few risers right at dark, missed a couple with sulphurs, some guys I was with caught a few.

Sun morning I fished the slow pool again. Caught 4 with a sulphur, then figured they were feeding underneath most likely on emergers. I tied on a sz 16 bead head hares ear and caught 12 more in the next hour before the sun got high and bright.

Water levels very low. I never took a water temp but I can say the beer was ice cold.
There were tons of canoes and kayaks floating down, but it was probably just busy due to mem day weekend.

Back to Penns for evening fishing, again nothing til dark, then lots of activity. Caught two very nice fish. I actually saw 2 green drakes at ingleby. I heard they were starting at Weikert.

Seemed like the main fly on the Pine was a sulphur.
A bit of rain before the Jam would be helpful.

Have fun guys.

John

Have a great time at the Jam fellas. As usual, I will be at Hemlock Acres with my dad that weekend. I'll be sure to let you all know what you were "missing" at Coburn. I plan to take photos from the deck of my ark. Which reminds me, I would appreciate it if one of you could let me know how many feet are in a cubit. Tight lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit

done and done!

I actually never knew that... learn something new every day I guess.

Will,

We will miss your being there...but I suppose we could raise a glass together in the evening during a thundershower toward good fishing.

We will be thinking about You, John and Paul...I guess that makes you either Ringo or George? :lol:

For the record,...I plan on catching plenty of trouts of the cubit measure. Of course, my plans rarely come to fruition.

Good luck at Penns.

Maurice

try detaching the wheels. should make it fit in your car better.

Back