Flying with fly rods

T

Troy

Hi Everyone,
I will be flying to Oregon next week an I have a question. I have flown 4 or 5 times with my fishing rod, but the rod I take breaks down into 5 pieces so it fits in my suitcase. My girlfriend is coming with me on this trip and her rod is an 8.5 footer. We don't want to pay an extra $25 to check it so we want to carry it on. Has anyone flown lately with their rods? If so, how did you take it? Thanks!

Troy

I've taken mine once and it fits in my bag, but if someone doesn't give a great answer... buy a piece of pvc and 2 end caps and ship it. Less than $25 and you can get conformation of its arrival, not worry about it making the trip on the plane. Just an idea.

Look into the cost of UPSing the rod to your destination and send it ahead. They lose stuff less often than the airlines...

Before I got a 4 pc. rpd that would fit in my luggage, I've been doing this since 911, when, as we know "everything changed".

It was to Oregon, as a matter of fact..

The idea of shipping by freight carrier is the best I think, but if you want to take it on the plane, I would call the airline at both (all) airports and make sure they understand what you want to do and get their approval. I would not want to learn at the airport that I got inaccurate information from a fellow board member.

I called the airline and they gave me some dimensions that are exceptable for carryons, but they are linear dimensions and are tough to figure out with a cylindrical tube. They did say fishing rods are ok to bring if they meet those requirements. From my prior experience, if it fits in the overhead compartment, you will be ok. I never seen someone checking dimensions. I also did a quick quote with ups and it will cost about $50 to ship each way, but that was just an estimate. I really wasn't sure of the weight.

Troy

Last August I went to Colorado, and there were three guys with rod tubes as their carry-on.

Last summer I showed up with my fly rods, assuming that I could carry them on - I had in the past. No go.

I was going to have to check them as extra baggage - I believe it was going to cost an extra $80 for the two.

Rather than waste $80, I had my wife take them home and I bought a travel rod at my destination. Now I can easily pack it in my suitcase.

Personally I'd ship it and insure it - or use that money for a travel rod.

Last year I flew with Southwest, from Philly to Denver and back, with an old style 8.5 foot, 2 piece rod in a DB Dunn case.

I carried it on in both cases. It's a bit long, but did fit in the overhead bin.

In Denver they are used to fly rods because in the summer they must see thousands of them.

In Philly I got scrutinized quite a lot, but I still carried it on. And Southwest did not charge extra for it.

I came to the conclusion that my girlfriend is just #OOPS# out of luck. Just kidding. I am going to buy her a cheapo rod from Cabela's that breaks into four pieces. It would cost me money for an extra bag or to ship it out. This way I will at least have something to show after I spend the money. I just don't trust the airlines in allowing me to bring it on board. Thanks for all the advice.

Troy

It is hit or miss in my experience. They will tell you one thing and do another. I had a rod/ rod tube run over by a baggage cart when I was forced to check a rod on the way back from FL. Additionally I would worry about checking the rods on a flight with a lay over .

Save the hassle and worry and mail them.

I fly with my gear a lot. I used to show up wth my stuff and when I got on the plane, I would ask the flight attendant if there was some place they could stowe my rods due to their size. I never had a problem. Recently (US Air to be exact), I was stopped at check-in and told I would have to check the rods because they don't meet the requirements for carry-on. $ 15.00. I flew 2 other airlines that trip and they were the only ones that stopped me. I would say, under normal conditions you should have no problem getting them aboard and stowed safely without paying extra.

I watched a hunting show once that said northwest and southwest airlines are more reasonable for the outdoor enthusiest.

troutbert wrote:
Last year I flew with Southwest, from Philly to Denver and back, with an old style 8.5 foot, 2 piece rod in a DB Dunn case.

I carried it on in both cases. It's a bit long, but did fit in the overhead bin.

In Denver they are used to fly rods because in the summer they must see thousands of them.

In Philly I got scrutinized quite a lot, but I still carried it on. And Southwest did not charge extra for it.

That's good to know. I'm heading out to Denver in late August, flying Southwest, and I'm bringing my fly rod.

Another reason why a 4-piece rod is the only way to fly (no pun intended)..

When I travel with gear, I bring 2 4 piece rods and attach them to my carry on bag - this is never questioned as they assume it is just part of the bag. I know G-loomis makes a nice little roller with rod holders. Mine is a Simms backpack that is discontinued but it works great for this very thing.

You are at the mercy of many folks if you carry something that long onboard. A gate agent, ticket agen, flight attendant, even the TSA can say no.

Some overhead bins have a space between them that you can slide something large from one compartment to another. You are really risking it though showing up with a 8 foot rod.

Apparently, it really does depend on which airline yoy fly.
I've taken just about all of my west trips on northwest, and never had a problem carrying a long rod tube onboard - even after 9-11. Maybe it's because they go to a lot of the great fly fishing destinations, and are just used to it.
But, some my buddies tried to do it on other airlines, and were told to check their long rod tubes

Last month I flew into Billings MT and there were a bunch of guys on that flight that had rod tubes as carry ons, including the standard long tubes.

It made me jealous, although I was on an interesting adventure myself, driving to Alaska with my son via the Alcan highway. We drove past lots of nice water on that trip!

S6

flying northwest out of bozeman, the ticket agent pulls out a tape measure and starts measuring my checked bag, he said read your ticket, your dimensions can`t be more than a TOTAl of 62 inches or they would charge me for an over size bag i argued and he backed off....like Bruno said you can talk to one person and when you show up the person that you deal with will say ...never heard of that...an overhead bin on a 737 is about 50 inches long

Luck of the draw with airlines and security- sometimes yes and sometimes no.

(shhh- whispering)
Dont tell me (the airline really) that a metal rod tube could be used as a weapon. I think you could some damage with that thing.

All in all it is a good problem to have- means your flying to go on a fly fishing trip. Always great!

As long as it breaks down to two pieces - - you should be fine. I would print this page out and take it along. Sometimes the TSA does not know there own rules.

Back