Flyfishing Solution - Series I

Hookerman

Hookerman

Looking at the the attached images (my own photos) what would YOU recommend re: flies, tackle, tactics ect.? Anything goes as long as it's legal and/or ethical. FYI - The fish are only examples of those that are in them (of course they are on the larger side of the scale ;).

If you can, use the numbers in the pics. as a reference in your replies. Thanks. Remember, this is C&R wild fish.

Attachments

• brookiewater.jpg
    brookiewater.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 11
  • brownwater.jpg
    brownwater.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 2
  • rainbowwater.jpg
    rainbowwater.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2
on pool two( the one w/ the browns), i would approach from downstream and cast to 3,4, and 5 first, then 1 and 2. the reason is, in my experience, meadow streams like that w/ wild browns tend to be very spooky and if you casted to 1 and 2 first, you would possibly spook the entire pool because you would be casting over 3,4 and 5. in my experience, brookies and rainbows are not very line shy, but browns, on the otherhand, can be spooked just from your line hitting the water. just my .02 cents

In pool 1 I would approach from below along the left side. I'd cast to locations 1 and 2 first then move upstream along the left shore a bit to cast to loaction 3. Moving further up aong the left shoreline to a point just below laterally parallel to the head of the pool I'd make my cast to 4/5 landing my offering dirtectly in the splashdown of the small cascade feeding the pool. Said offering would vary by season but would definitely be some sort of nymph.

For pool 2 I'd approach as 'evw659' describes. Offering again would depend upon the season/conditions but would most likely be some stage of caddis life cycle.

For the 3rd location I'd start by working spots 5,4 and 3 in that order most likely with a mayfly dry, approaching from the lower left area. I'd then work to location 6, moving up and back from the water's edge a bit to do so, again with the dry. Finally I'd switch to a nymph (likely a 'poxyback' stone) to work spots 1 and 2, casting the fly directly into the falling water. Just my humble opinion, YMMV.

Almost always start at your closest access point from your desired approach, even if you have a target fish.
Reasons stated by evw659.
Placing cast no. 1 at the head of the pool if I'm uproaching from downstream is almost never my tactic.
Spooking fish into fish I'm trying very hard not to spook is one frustrating dilema that results in hair loss.

Back