Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Fly source

From Lancaster, Pa
Hello All,
I wanted to post some info. for a great source I found for low priced flies. I received a order from them and have been very pleased with the quality and customer service. The company is www.fishingflybox.com out of Ks. The gentleman who owns is named Milton and very nice guy.
Basically it is a more you buy the cheaper they are type site. For instance I purchased 72 flies of various patterns and sized for .39 each and totaled with priority with shipping was $35.00
I know a lot of us do not tie or do not tie yet and are forced to purchase premade flies. so just wanted to pass along a tested source others can benefit from.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 6:06

Re: Fly source

From Philadelphia, PA
My concern with heavily discounted flies is the hook quality and the labor conditions wherever they are being sourced.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 8:07

From Lancaster, Pa
I have had no issues with the hooks as of yet a few out of 70 needed tuning.... And I do not think anyone would really want to see a quarter of what they consume/use from its origin/making...

But, sorry flies is flies...

Posted on: 2013/5/12 9:06

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

JVenezia wrote:
And I do not think anyone would really want to see a quarter of what they consume/use from its origin/making...

I don't know what this means. Explain?

Posted on: 2013/5/12 10:15

From Lancaster, Pa
Sorry that was before coffee typing..... Basically if we could see who was making half of what we consume and or use and what conditions they are working in we all would be afraid to leave the house or guilted into not buying anything. I am all for buying local But, as for this sport I can find no way of buying made in the US in "reasonable" conditions with the same affordability. I am all for a fly fishing co-op if we could come up with such a beast.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 10:49

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

JVenezia wrote:

But, sorry flies is flies...

A+

Posted on: 2013/5/12 10:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

JVenezia wrote:
Sorry that was before coffee typing..... Basically if we could see who was making half of what we consume and or use and what conditions they are working in we all would be afraid to leave the house or guilted into not buying anything. I am all for buying local But, as for this sport I can find no way of buying made in the US in "reasonable" conditions with the same affordability. I am all for a fly fishing co-op if we could come up with such a beast.

I hear ya. You're right that most of the information about where what we buy comes from isn't available to us. But that will remain the case as long as we keep not asking.

Some fly companies (i.e. Idlywilde) are committed to fair trade practices.

Of course, this comes at a cost to the consumer. You're going to pay typical brick-and-mortar fly shop prices. The fly shops that are selling flies made in unsafe or unfair labor markets are still selling to you at the same price, but at a bigger margin on their end.

I'm making an effort to buy from companies that do the right thing. A little bit of research goes a long way. Given that I don't buy all that much, it hasn't proven that difficult.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 11:00

From Luzerne County, PA
Checked them out, I like to buy most of my imitations locally, but stocking up on super big buggers or stuff like a dry mouse sometimes is better online.

I like the looks of their flies but that 7.95 shipping rate is not so cool, I used to buy from Blue Fly Cafe but they went out of business, it shouldn't cost that much to ship flies only.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 16:16

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
its not the weight of flies but the containers for them, I would be happy to charge less for shipping if you don't mind flattened dry flies..

Posted on: 2013/5/12 17:19

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Nothing a little steam wont fix!

Posted on: 2013/5/12 17:52

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Da 'Berg, PA
i buy mine from the fly stop - 70c plus $3 shipping...

Posted on: 2013/5/12 19:34

From Chadds Ford, PA
Fly Stop also. Flies work and customer service is fantastic. Kory, the owner, is a great guy.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 19:58

I used the flystop and was happy with the flies until the hooks broke at the bend on several wolly buggers while Salmon/Steelhead fishing.Called the owner and he replaced the entire order,he said he got a bad batch of hooks.
They run specials that many times include free shipping.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 23:40

From Chester County
Quote:

henrydavid wrote:
Checked them out, I like to buy most of my imitations locally, but stocking up on super big buggers or stuff like a dry mouse sometimes is better online.

I like the looks of their flies but that 7.95 shipping rate is not so cool, I used to buy from Blue Fly Cafe but they went out of business, it shouldn't cost that much to ship flies only.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 6:46

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Where did the package ship from? I know a few people who have ordered from there and from my knowledge, they are shipped internationally and they take a few weeks to get there. hence the $8 shipping price.

Most flies made internationally are from the same couple shops. Some of the shops are actually really great conditions for the area. The difference in the flies is they are rated and then priced accordingly. Some flies are really bad, but others are serviceable. I've heard good things about the place in the OP though for the price.

I haven't bought a fly in about 5 years, but thought about using this place if I headed out west and needed a bunch of different flies and didn't have the time to tie them.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 7:41

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com