Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Fly Line Backing Install

From York, PA
I know this is a little goofy, but I am going to ask anyway.

Backing: something you do at home?

Last 2 times I have had this done at the shop and they use the fancy machine. Necessary or not? Is having the backing put on nice, tight and smooth important?

I am aware of amount of backing to put on reel etc.

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/6/20 12:30

Re: Fly Line Backing Install

From Lehigh Valley
Gibsy,
You can do this at home, depending on how much backing you buy your backing on the spool. For Trout I only use 50- 100 yards max, Lakerun fish I put on 150-200 yrds. Saltwater I put on 200-250 . This all of course depends on the size of your arbor and whether or not its a SA= Standard Arbor, MA = Mid Arbor, LA = Large Arbor. Each will hold only so much backing, most reels come with capacity .
In the past I use to line the reel with the flyline first then tie on the backing an wind till it about 1/8 " from the rim of the spool., then I would pull all the line off in a straight line at a local park and tie the Arbor knot to the Spool Arbor,and place a phone book or two on the backing an start winding my backing on.
I also cross wind after I get the arbor covered with the first pass. make sure you do the winding in a neat manner and you will not get a buried backing line.Always use tension too . Hope this helps

Posted on: 2013/6/20 12:37

From SW PA/Tioga
Quote:

Lonewolve wrote:
In the past I use to line the reel with the flyline first then tie on the backing an wind till it about 1/8 " from the rim of the spool., then I would pull all the line off in a straight line at a local park and tie the Arbor knot to the Spool Arbor,and place a phone book or two on the backing an start winding my backing on.

I also use the same method, except I use the backyard or even all of the rooms of the house in the winter (not a straight line in that case). Well described by Lonewolve.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 13:18

From Eastern PA
Think about this. Imagine the lucky day a fish takes you a hundred yards into the backing. The shops not going to be there to put it back on! lol. Find something/someone to put some tension on the backing spool and you are good to go.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 14:28

From Other side of the tracks
Like that is going to happen.

How many of you have really gotten into the backing other than with king salmon or something like that where you aren't using your regular trout rod.

And if you did, what's up with that much yardage?

Even with steelhead, I have never had one in the backing a Couple came close though.

I once caught a 40+ lb carp with 4X tippet and I had no backing. Was using an old bamboo rod and an automatic reel, and there was no room for backing. Of course I had to do a lot of walking. Very shallow lake.

Backing is mostly just to increase the diameter of the spool or provide extra weight to help balance a real fly rod.

Somebody had to say it.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 14:48

From Ohio
I agree with FarmerDave, at least in freshwater.

I have only been in my backing once. I was fishing a creek for steelhead during high and fast water(it was dangerous to cross in many places so I had a hard time chasing the fish), the fish ate my dropper(I was fishing a two fly rig) but somehow the point fly got wrapped around and snagged on the tail of the fish so you know how that goes. If I was able to chase the fish and the other fly didn't get snagged on the fish this would never have happened.

I"ve also come close a bunch of times with big river carp, but I was able to chase the fish every time, which you should be doing anyways(more control of the fish).

Posted on: 2013/6/20 14:58

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
The key to putting backing on is tension. I put the spool on a spindle of some sort (even a pencil) and then I stand on carpet with socks on and step on the backing to put tension on. If you put it on too loose then it can get tangled and also look bad on the reel. The odds of getting into your backing, especially anything under a 7-8wt are minimal, so it doesn't really matter. But make sure you do it right. Nail knot is great, or even bimini twist if you're adventerous.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 15:07

From Eastern PA
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

Like that is going to happen.

Somebody had to say it.

Yeah, I was trying to be nice you big meanie.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 17:03

From Da 'Berg, PA
Similar to ry guy - I attach empty spool to reel, attach to bottom section of fly rod. Hitch fly line to spool after passing through stripping guide.

Reel on fly line. Loop on backing. Fill to 1/8" of spool. Change spool on reel. Run backing through stripping guide, attach to 2nd empty spool with an arbor knot. Put a pencil through full spool, hold with feet, wind in.

I hold the line above the reel with a damp cloth to clean it whilst I reel in.

I make sure I always have one empty spool for just this purpose. I can respool a line n backing in under 10 minutes this way.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 18:15

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Think about this. Imagine the lucky day a fish takes you a hundred yards into the backing. The shops not going to be there to put it back on! lol. Find something/someone to put some tension on the backing spool and you are good to go.

Lucky day - first and only bonefish I've had the thrill to catch. I could see my spool before I got him turned around. Eventually landed him. My second hookup had no trouble peeling off just as much backing and I was just about able to land him before the hook popped.

Don't overcomplicate backing.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 19:21

From Butler, Pa
had two stripers take me into about 10 yards of backing on my 6 wt but that's it

Posted on: 2013/6/21 0:42

From Da 'Berg, PA
i've had stripers and Atlantics take me 60/70 yards into my backing on a 9wt - SH & DH respectively.

then i stop them...

Posted on: 2013/6/21 7:44

From Pgh
Quote:

StarvinMarvin wrote:
had two stripers take me into about 10 yards of backing on my 6 wt but that's it

I was once lined by a wiper who took my panfish popper. I was fishing for bluegills at Lake Arthur with a 6wt and using a Medalist reel with about 5 yards of backing (I didn't know that at the time.) The fish exploded on my poppers and tore toward the middle of the lake and popped my line off in about 30 seconds. One big fish.

I've had several wipers take me 10 yards or so into my backing.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 14:03

From Cato, NY
There are freshwater opportunities other than steelhead where a trout gets you into your backing. Maybe not your small freestone/limestone streams but why not prepare your reel for any situation.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 14:24

From Ohio
My previous post said I only went into my backing once, well make that twice. Today I had a big carp take me a foot or so into my backing. It wasn't huge, but a strong river fish making a run for the faster current. Ended up losing him though..landed two others and one of them got close to taking out backing.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 17:30

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com