Fly Fishing with Music

loveshack

loveshack

Has anyone here fly fished and listened to music? I was wondering if anyone could do it or if any of you guys have tried it.

Many years ago when I was (much) younger I'd sometimes listen to music when fishing - usually on Letort when I was just sitting in meadows watching the water. The clunky walkman and cassette tapes made for a pain and I stopped doing it. With today's electronics, it would (obviously) be much easier.

Now......driving to the stream? That's music time. :)

No, then I'd be missing the music of the stream.

I love music as much as the next guy and with tech today it would be really easy (as FI said). Using a cheesy cliche .. there is something really soothing to the soul just listening to the water move downstream. That said, if I ever get into lake fishing maybe.

Yes. but only to the B-52's

Exactly

As FI said, on the way to and from the stream is music time. Occasionally when I'm on the boat I'll have some tunes going, but still nature is the music whether I'm on the stream or the lake.

yeah come on....would it hurt to just hear nature? I took a friend fly fishing for the first time a couple years ago into the PA Grand Caynon. One of the most beautiful, peaceful settings you'll ever get, and was appalled that he felt the need to have an ipod on the whole time. I still give him crap for that.

However, once upon a time my brother, Tim Robinsin, and myself were fly fishing Pine in the Ansonia area I believe, and there were some drunk dudes up on a hill at a cabin having a party. They were blasting Iron Maiden, and it was ringing through the valley. That kind of added to the atmosphere and mood of the night haha!

just for our special fishing playlist!

PatrickC wrote:

Amen. To each his own, but my time on the stream is my time to get away from everything that makes noise other than nature. In today's hectic world, you can't put a price on the peace and quiet of stream time!

I like the sound of the stream, breezes, birds and other critters while fishing.

JackM wrote:
I like the sound of the stream, breezes, birds and other critters while fishing.

Instead of music...a snort and a nice cigar seem to add to the relaxation (at least in my zany world).

Most of the responses pretty much sum it up for me. How could you hear what's going on if your ears were plugged? Many times I hear a fish rising rather than see it.

I could see it now, a guy a few feet out into the river humming along with his ipod and a bear standing right behind him.

Does it count that I sometimes find myself singing something while I'm fishing? Or, does that just emphasize that I'm out there in my own little world?

Being a reformed smoker, I couldn't enjoy a cigar now; but an iced beer after fishing in hot weather sure tastes good.

Singing is cool... And of course, if the cigar is going to risk sending you back to being a daily smoker...please don't do it!

Singing is fine. In fact, if you're in Potter County some time and hear Irish drinking songs pouring out of the woods, don't worry. That's my "scarrin' off the bears" technique.

The thing about listening to music and such is, can we really not unplug long enough to enjoy the creation for what it is? Do we always have to be wired in?

That's me. When I go on vacations or trips, I don't take a phone, we have no internet, no TV, nothin.

Wading; no; but in my drift boat often. Most of the responses are from one perspective; headphones. I got a small set of speakers in the boat, and the mood is yours to set! A slow day on the water..... add a little Flogging Molly and let the Piracy ensue!!! Aarrrgh!

My music is the wind, the stream and the birds.

I jam the Ipod the whole way to and from the stream, but it stays in the car. Getting away from all the distractions of the modern world and being out in a beautiful natural place is a large part of what makes fly fishing so enjoyable and appealing to me. I wouldn't want to miss any of the sounds of nature by listening to music. I find the sound of the stream and birds very relaxing and enjoyable. Then there is the fishing, the excuse for being on the stream in the first place. I love to get away from it all, but I also enjoy catching fish. The sound of a fish rising is often what draws my attention to a particular piece of water as I'm walking or fishing another piece of water nearby. I've caught countless trout by stumbling upon a riser like this. If you plug in and tune out, you are effectively handicapping yourself by limiting one of the most important senses used to locate and catch fish. When you are way out in the back country, it is important to listen to what’s going on around you for safety reasons. If you're on state game lands, you want to be able to hear and move away from gun shots. You want to be able to hear that bear that comes out of the woods behind you (just happened to me). To sum it up, leaving the ipod in the car allows me to enjoy the sounds of nature, helps me catch more fish, and keeps me coming home in one piece.

Back