Fly Fishing the Outer Banks

B

bmwiest09

I am going on vacation in mid August to the Nags Head area of the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

Has anyone ever fished the area or surrounding area?

I am looking for any tips or advice on location, flies, species, etc.

Anything would be much appreciated

Welcome to the site. There's a search box at the bottom of the page that should be very helpful for this one. There's been a few dozen threads about the outer banks (try searching for "OBX" too).

Good luck with your trip. I've determined that the far southern reaches of the outer banks may be the only place that could convince me to move away from trout streams.

Thanks for the welcome. I will try the search

http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/

if all else fails...this site is very helpful.

I just checked out that OBXFF forum and they're burning streams in PA!!

LOL I see a Valley Creek topic. Maybe this site isn't the one to blame!

Yeah, I see lots of north carolina plates in the full parking lot every weekend.

Occam's razor, my friend.

OP, the one tip I always offer is that the fishing is better south of cape hatteras.

OP, the one tip I always offer is that the fishing is better south of cape hatteras
JayL
Called Florida

Well played, citizen of the phallus. :)

I used to own a house down there in Rodanthe, about 25 south of Nags Head. One of the great places to fish down there with a fly rod is the sound aroound Bodie Island Lighthouse. I generally would use a 8-10 weight rod (overkill for the fish I would catch but made casting into the wind alot easier) I like to use either a intermediate tip or med-fast sink tip. Fish the back end of tides and use a standard 1/0 clouser in chart/white. I used to catch blues, flounder, small red fish and weakfish. Also first thing in the morning is good. Ideal situation is first light with a outgoing tide.

Also if you are going later in the year (August/Sept) pompano fishing in the surf can be good as well. I used a 5 weight with a small shrimp pattern or small clouser. Just cast into the trough of the waves close to shore. The pompano aren't big but they are a blast to catch!

Thanks for all the tips

Back