Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fly Fishing Competitions on TV?

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
I would hate to see conflict on weekends between the comp and pleasure fishermen. The statements in the above post makes me think a problem may be brewing.

yeah, I'm curious how this works. Is there any sort of official 'permitting' that happens in order to have an event? Or do the organizers just put the comp together and lay claim to the waters for the day, public be damned?

Posted on: 2013/3/25 9:15

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Permits through the PFBC.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 9:38

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From NW Penna
Seem to be some pretty good Comps going on that involve PHW and our vets.

Can't see why anyone would be against a program that helps our disabled vets....

Posted on: 2013/3/25 9:42

From Monessen, PA
If the competitions are on public waters, then I see no need to yield to any angler. I would feel I had the same right to fish as anyone else. The only competition I would participate in is finding a nice spot for the spinnerfall.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 12:01

Let us know if you are going to do a "fish in" at one of these competitions.

I'll bring popcorn. Someone else please bring a video camera.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 12:32

From Pgh
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
Agree. ^ I'm sooo tired of this competition crap! And it is crap.
I agree 100%. Flyfishing is not a competition and was never intended to be.

There is also competitive yoga at the National Yoga Championship in NY every year, the World Sauna Championship in Finland, Worm Charming Contest in England....

I guess the point is that competitive-type people can make a competition out of any darn thing, whether it seems appropriate or not. (I'm waiting for meditation and prayer group competitions myself.)

Posted on: 2013/3/25 12:32

Edited by greenghost on 2013/3/25 12:58:56

Unbelievable: I am with the majority on a topic for once. I believe fly-fishing competitions detract from the sport, and if t/bert brings the popcorn to a fish in, I'll bring the beer -- well, maybe some of it!

Posted on: 2013/3/25 13:13

From South Central PA
I don't know anyone who does it and haven't seen one so commenting involves guesswork. How is it different from a PAFF mini-jam or major jam? Keeping score? Does a judge stand right by every angler to measure so as to reduce handling mortality? If so, that doesn't seem so bad. If they have a scheduled competition and the water is 70F, do they still fish or do they cancel?

What about the stretches of stream you get. Obviously luck of the draw comes into play, but then it is a draw. Given relatively stable weather and stream conditions, I imagine the fishing steadily declines if they just switch stretches, so being first in the best stretch should be an advantage, possibly made up for if there's a good hatch at a different time.

In other words, too many unknowns and I'd rather not presume the negative.

I'm fairly sure whatever regulations are on the books were mainly concerned with bass anglers and boats. Competitions for trout are too new. But then I haven't looked over the commission meeting minutes.

While it's not my cup of tea I don't see much of an issue unless filthy lucre becomes the driving force.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 13:20

From LV
Just because ESPN or Fox thinks it's a competition doesn't mean it is. Maybe the Bass guys think it's competition to race around a lake at 90 mph, because they can't drive NASCAR, but that don't make fishing a competition either. Thumbs down.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 13:55

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

DGC wrote:
I don't know anyone who does it and haven't seen one so commenting involves guesswork. How is it different from a PAFF mini-jam or major jam? Keeping score?

Sure, anybody can fish the stretches that are being competed on. They are public waters. It is kinda like a Big Jam. Guys geting together and fishing. How do you think those that are not from the site feel about a billion people showing up in State College at prime time and "crowding their waters? Or coming to the Little Lehigh to fish and 20 newbie cars are there to learn to fish? It is what it is.

Quote:
Does a judge stand right by every angler to measure so as to reduce handling mortality? If so, that doesn't seem so bad.

A judge is assigned to the competitor. Sometimes they are in their back pocket. Sometimes they are waiting on the bank. The competitor normally does not handle the fish. The judge does. I would say the fish is out of the water less then 10 seconds. Unhook, quick measure and back in the water.

Quote:
If they have a scheduled competition and the water is 70F, do they still fish or do they cancel?

I can not answer this. However, I am sure the streams that are chosen for the competition for certain times of the year, would not be chosen if they had temp issues.

Quote:
What about the stretches of stream you get. Obviously luck of the draw comes into play, but then it is a draw. Given relatively stable weather and stream conditions, I imagine the fishing steadily declines if they just switch stretches, so being first in the best stretch should be an advantage, possibly made up for if there's a good hatch at a different time.

Yes, it is a draw for what section of stream you get and you are correct on your thoughts in regards to second man on the stretch. Like you said though, hatches come into play.

Quote:
In other words, too many unknowns and I'd rather not presume the negative.

I'm fairly sure whatever regulations are on the books were mainly concerned with bass anglers and boats. Competitions for trout are too new. But then I haven't looked over the commission meeting minutes.

While it's not my cup of tea I don't see much of an issue unless filthy lucre becomes the driving force.

I have only been part of one competition. It was eye opening on tactics. I am naturally competitive. I can not help it, I was raised in organized sports. My parents never pushed me, but it was just natural to compete. The competitions are really a big gathering of fun guys that like to fish and break stones. Kinda like on here. They respect the resource and respect other peoples right to fish public waters.

I personally witnessed 3 incidents of everyday anglers running into competitive anglers at the NE regional. First was two spin guys arriving at Penns, and wondering what was going on. I explained, they said well it was their right to fish the water, I agreed wish them luck and left. Told the competitors about the Rapala chuckers, they just shrugged and said the same thing. It was the other anglers right to fish.

2nd incident... I was judging a competitor. everyday angler came down and asked me what was going on. I explained, they asked how much longer it was going on and said they would just watch and then fish after it was done. Guy drove from pretty far and did not want to mess up the guys water. I explained to him there was a very large stretch of water 300 yards downstream that was not being competed on. He said he was fine with waiting fishing the water.

3rd incident...... The competitors came back from lunch and there was a gentleman fishing the beat that one competitor had to compete on. Competitor walked over to him and explained that he was forced to fish this section, but the other angler was perfectly fine to keep fishing the same stretch if he would like. Angler said, hey no problem, I will walk down stream a little. Competitor said thanks and gave him about 15 flies.

Never did I witness any animosity between any of the anglers. Sure I have only watched one competition, but I was highly impressed by the attitudes of the competitors. It is not every body's cup of tea, but it is not every body's cup of tea to fish bamboo or glass, fish with indicators, chuck streamers, fish beadheads,

Everyone one of us are different and it is what makes us who we are. We all enjoy different aspects of life and fishing. Then again, there are those that like soccer and fish Tenkada. Meh

Posted on: 2013/3/25 14:20

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From South Central PA
SBecker, your thorough response is much appreciated.

I can imagine a competitor fishing behind those guys throwing rapalas having an advantage fishing the chum line created downstream of their wading (if it's a macro rich stream).

I would be interested in attending one of these if done locally on the CV spring creeks. Would I want there to be one every week? No. But if they did one a year with a no wading rule, I would enjoy seeing the bag of tricks they might open up on the Letort, Falling Spring and Big Spring.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 15:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, I have no issue with it. If it became an every weekend thing I might say enough is enough. But as it is, it's fine.

That's not to say I have any interest in competing, just willing to accept that others are allowed to have different opinions than my own. And like others, I'm interested in keeping tabs on the latest and greatest techniques. From a healthy distance, of course. I can choose to use them or not use them at my discretion. I'm out for pleasure, and my measurement of success may be very different than the way the point system is set up. But more techniques, combined with hard data on their effects, is always a good thing.

They hurt noone. They don't exclude the public, and that competitor has as much right to fish as I do. No more, no less. If he wishes to do his fishing in a competition format, good for him.

I assume it's kind of like a marathon. Sure, plenty people run just for fun. But most in a "competition" format such as a marathon don't have any intent on winning that marathon. Competing against themselves, and seeing how they stack up. Only a few actually have eyes on winning the thing.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 16:01

Has anyone on the board ever fished in one of the beats during a competition?

Would you? If you showed up at a stream and discovered there was a competition going on, and there was a competitor fishing a beat set up on the stretch you had planned to fish, would you fish it? Or go elsewhere?

Posted on: 2013/3/25 17:57

You know, if I'd been there first, at one time I would have continued to fish and would, no doubt, have been obnoxious about it. But, today, I would try to do what I did a couple weeks ago: I would have told the competitor and his babysitter that I would not have done that to them, and I would have tried to find another place to fish.
If they were already there, I would certainly have gone elsewhere without stopping to "case" the section because they were there first. If there were so many spots occupied in the competition's "beats," I'd have tried to change stream locations, streams, or may have even left for home.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 18:15

From PA and NH
How does competition fishing not suck the joy out of what is, to many people who hang here, our most beloved pasttime? Feeding your family, that's a quest worthy of competition, but fooling a fish?
And they're most effective technique can be duplicated with a long rod and a spinfishing set-up, all mono, no flyline, I'm surprised they get to call it fly fishing. We're all grown men and don't take kindly to being told what to do, except by our wives, so we do what we want, within reason, but I'm sure I'll be sticking with my methods and not adopting the tournament style. Have at it Becker.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 18:50

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com