Fly Fisherman magazine

wgmiller

wgmiller

I'm kind of curious as to why there is a lack of coverage in this magazine with respect to northeastern US streams. I subscribe to the magazine and find it a great publication, but would like to see more coverage on streams of the northeastern US, not western streams. Is the fishing "out west" that great that almost every issue is full of these waterways?

I think about all the great fishing we have in PA and adjoining states and can't think of the last time I saw an article on one of these streams. With some of the "world class" fishing we have in this area, I'm just surprised I don't see more articles on local waterways. Not to mention, this magazine is published in Harrisburg, PA!

Am I missing something?!?!?!?

It is a great magazine, but you're right, most articles are about a western stream.

If you don't already, get Eastern Fly Fishing. Great coverage of our neck of the woods.

There is a mag called "Eastern Fly Fishing" or something to that effect. I had a subscription to it for a while. It was mostly a where-to-fish mag. Nicely done but it really didn't have much substance. Lots of articles on ho-hum locations. For instance there were/are articles and reports on ATW streams that I considered duds and lame reports on bluegill fishing in obscure locations. The feature articles were usually southern tailwaters or someplace else that might as well be out west.

The biggest thing that irked me was that the mag pushed pay-to-play locations. IMO, a big no-no for a magazine that relied on reader contributions in order to fill their magazine with articles. I doubt guys writing about ATW 's and farm pond fishing are going to patronize DB and the like.

Kev

Fly fisherman magazine is like Playboy -an escape to what you would like-not what you have-either case you would find the truth to be more than a little``air-brushed".
However much fun fishing for 10" trout on crowded waters may be it doesn't read that well.

I agree that most fly-fishing mags do not do the state of pa any justice at all. I thought since most of PA was streams and bodies of water they would cover it more there was one field and stream mag. that had an article about spruce creek in there but was probably like half a page long and the rest was devoted to whatever. The streams and creeks that surround us should have some type of recognition in one way or another. Juat most people out there dont kow the real potential these streams and creeks have.

Be careful....you just might get what you wish for....and all of the out of state plates that come with it.

I've been reading FF magazine off and on for years and have always enjoyed it (although I like Pete's Playboy analogy). This magazine has always shown a Western bias and I think it has gotten worse since some of the older editors/writers like Art Lee have moved on. And, while I'm sure they've got reams of data proving that certian cover images sell better, they really need to get something new on the cover (at least I haven't seen Cathy Beck for awhile).

Ironically the magazine is published here in central PA. I have seen the dark green FFM Ford Expedition several times, including one time parked at the Quitty Nature Park, perhaps fishing the DHALO.

I have to say that the cover on the July issue of Fly Fisherman is quite nice :lol: I know that the name of the magazine is "Fly Fisherman", but why is the cover shot always a fisherman (or woman) holding a big-*** fish? I would have to think that there are a million other ways to portray a fly fisherperson than just holding a big-*** fish. I like the content of the magazine, but there are some quirks that I find interesting.

I'm not so sure that highlighting some of the more "famous" PA waterways would bring more traffic. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. Some of the Central PA creeks are already "world class" and have been publicized for years. I just find it odd there isn't much press on these places.

I was really impressed with "American Angler" when I picked up a copy and may head that direction down the road.

I agree with Fly Fisher; be careful what you wish for. FFM has a tendency toward kiss-and-tell pieces, and the ones that have appeared extolling PA streams have had negative effects on these creeks and rivers. You do not want the k/t writers selling out your favorite streams, believe me!

I don't get Fly Fisherman anymore becuase it went from 80+ pages of okay material to 70 pages, with have being letters to the editor and evals. of over priced equipment.

I don't get any magazines anymore either. Nothing pertains to our area plus when it does then I get ticked off that our streams are being broadcasted all over the country. I can't be pleased lol so I just stopped supscribing to them all.

Not to get off topic but:

I have an article in the July issue of FF Magazine. Check out Bunker Bombin'. I hope you all enjoy it.

i liked the article myself and im itching to try it on the yough river

Wasn't everyone in an uproar recently because they featured the little j?

Matt,

Cool. I enjoyed it, and am going to give it a shot.

FF mag is terrible, I cancelled my subscription long ago. American Angler is okay, but I'll probably not renew it in the future.By far the best FF mag is actually free: "Mid Atlantic Fly fishing Guide". You can pick up each month's issue for free at nearly every fly shop in the region. It covers PA and surrounding States, with a few pages of info on the streams for each region. There are also articles written by many national and local authors. I have May's issue sitting on my desk. Looking at the cover, there is an article this month written by Lefty Kreh, Bob Clouser, and Charlie Meck. Even the ads are helpful. Many fly shops and places to stay are listed by region. Can't beat the mag and the price!

I guess its a matter of opinion...but I don't think PA has "WORLD CLASS" streams. We have some very very good trout water and more miles of it than probably any state in the lower 48. But world class, IMO...no way. I think most of PA streams miss some of the criteria that would rate a stream/river as world class.

As for the mag... I like it...good articles. I like the forums and conservation articles that are going on around the country and world for that matter. The destination articles are nice too and its always good to read about other places and get ideas for trips.

Eye candy at best, thats how I see any FF mag. Is there really any thing new that has not been written or any fish that has niot been photo'd. I now receive FF er's mag cause my daughter was rund raising. I rarely read any of it. I do however read most of what is posted here and often find it relavent and useful.

Lehigh you don't think the susquehanna or lake erie is world class?

Back