Flies for salmon river

thetonyage

thetonyage

So I'm bringing the new switch rod up to the SR next week for some steelhead action. I need to come up with a list of flies to tie. You guys got any suggestions other than the standard egg or leech patterns for me to add to my arsenal?

Comets in green and black,Sucker Spawn and Mickey Finn. Good luck I wish I was going back up!!
Sean

anything that looks like an egg or minnow will get em...

have you tried trout beads?

See if you can find a pattern for Hickman's Fish Taco.

And if you're going to fish eggs, fish beads instead.

if you're targeting steel, then make sure you have some chartreuse streamers. Seems they can really key on that at times.

Don't discount a big beadhead prince on the swing.

Just get some split shot and a snell hook.

Streamers/buggers in white, black, and purple can take the aggressive fish. The fall steelhead are coming in and there should be some hot ones.

With the cold snap the dead salmon bodies may be crumbling and releasing plenty of those white unfertilized eggs. A few white or cream dead egg patterns wouldn't hurt.

Yes, beads work better than egg flies. However, if you fish the fly zones you can't use beads (NYS does not consider beads as flies). Everywhere else - and I like less crowded spots a little walk away - beads are certainly legal.

Nymphs can be the ticket for pressured fish. Misc stoneflies, usually with bright colored thoraxes, are the usual choice, but the old Prince nymph or newer Psycho Prince are great choices. If they are fairly spooky I like nymphs without all the flash. Bright flashy ones are mostly used, but it doesn't hurt to carry duller ones.

JeffK wrote:
Yes, beads work better than egg flies. However, if you fish the fly zones you can't use beads (NYS does not consider beads as flies).

Even if they're pegged above a fly (as opposed to a bare hook)?

[/quote]

Even if they're pegged above a fly (as opposed to a bare hook)?[/quote]

From what I understand you can't peg a bead above a fly in the fly zones.

Swinging flies:
Fish taco
Intruders - black, purple, olive, pink, chartreuse
Ho Boh spey
All white streamer or wooly bugger/crystal bugger
Zonkers/matuka - black, purple, olive, pink, chartreuse
Templedog style tubes
HP Crayfish tube fly
Trade Secret

I'm heading up saturday and will be up all next week!! So glad the river is up and the temps are dropping. Tug hill is getting snow already!! Yeehaw!!

yes you can peg a bead above a fly in the flyzones.

Now which is it? Can bead...can't bead in fly zones. I'm fixin to get my chrome dome on in 2 weeks. I'll loose interest within an hour of starting but will still give it a go.

Ahhh! the fish catching fly is Sculpins!!!!!!!!!

3" Black Zonker or bunny leech type flies with orange or chartreuse conehead. Add a little flash. That's my "go to" over there in Nov-Dec.
I've had good success with white over purple zonker style flies in low/clearer conditions.
I fish both swung mid column.

krayfish wrote:
Now which is it? Can bead...can't bead in fly zones. I'm fixin to get my chrome dome on in 2 weeks. I'll loose interest within an hour of starting but will still give it a go.

thats been my go to technique for a while now. I'm pretty sure it's legal. Not that it matters but I know a bunch of people who fish that way up there in the fly zones. The technique was shown to me from a regular in the lower fly zone a few years ago.

let me know when you are going i may be able to meet up.

Fishing Fri 11-8. & Sat 11-9. Depending on weather, I might tight line lager into my pie hole all day instead of cast.

After a few discussions this technique may be illegal after all in the flyzones I'm not sure now.

Read the regs on beads in the "zones",they are illegal but does anyone care?

Back