Flies for Cumberland Co spring creeks?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

I have decided my fall camping/fishing trip will be to Cumberland Co. in late September. That gives me a month to get the fly box in order and tie up any flies I don't have. What flies should I be sure to have? I plan on visiting the Letort, Big Spring, Green, Middle, possibly some others.

Cress bugs, Pheasant tails, scuds, Olive and/or Black streamers, and Tricos will be around some in the mornings. Hoppers, ants, beetles, crickets are still around and very productive. Cress bugs and scuds will be your best friends and the streamers can really bring out the giants that time of the year. Good luck!

Light tan caddis nymphs also. I wouldn't waste your time on Green Spring. It's mostly stocked and the mennonite's have a habit of cleaning it out. It's usually good in the spring, but gets too warm by summer. Middle Spring is also stocked, but you will run across a wild fish here and there. I think your best bet is Falling Spring. The headwaters can be tough with the wild fish. The delayed harvest down below can be much easier.

Ed Shenk's flys the Letort Hopper, Cricket, Shenk Cress Bug, Shenk Sculpin, and Shenk White Minnow all work for me and can be found at http://www.danica.com/flytier/eshenk/eshenk.htm

For pretty accurate stream reports, maps and more local flys that work check out http://www.coldspringanglers.com/index.htm

You might look into Clarks Creek as well it isn't too far depenting on where you are camping. If you are looking for some native browns send a PM

tight lines,
Buffalo

Buffalo has a good point. Also some native brookies as well.
Your terrestrials will be just what you would think. The meadow streams like Letort and Falling are good with the hoppers and crickets and your canopy streams like the Breeches and Clarks has produced well with beetles and ants. Ofcourse all will work at any.
For some reason some people swear by dry greenweenies at Clarks but my personal success has been limited. Clarks will most likely be where you can fish all day without seeing another person with some form of wilderness experience at that time of year with hunting and steelhead starting up. Dont be afraid to stray from the spec. regs area at that time of year.

For "native" browns you'll have to go all the way to europe, but there may be some wild ones nearby.

I've seen brown trout nutty over micro green mm worms on the upper Letort..I mean to tell you it took me the better part of an hour to figure that out...If you like tiny hook #32 thread flys,try them early in Sept...

I've really haven't fished in Cumberland county much in the fall, but in every other place that I fish at that time of year, I almost always find BWO's hatching. I wouldn't go anywhere then without plenty of them in size #20

Back