Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fishing the Salmon River...

Normally when I fish the Salmon River in the Fall I have used spinning gear because of the ease of use during the madness of the King run. But I would like to start fly fishing the river now that I am getting more into the sport. What would be a good rod/reel weight for me to get started with. I would also like to use the rod for steelhead, smallmouth bass here at home, and even some largemouth at some nearby farm pounds. Could it be possible to get a rod to cover bases from salmon to bass. I don't want to buy something expensive for fear of breaking, and for the fact that I only go up maybe once or twice a year. I am open to any suggestions you might have...I am not expert in this realm but would love to hear from some. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:37

Re: Fishing the Salmon River...

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Your Answer

Breaks return no question asked.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:41

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Luzerne County, PA
I have an LL Bean rod and I love it, but how are those reels? Usually when you but a "combo" outfit you get a less than great reel with it, and with Steelhead he's going to need a reliable drag.

To answer the question of wt. 8-10 wt. would work for all of what you mentioned.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:47

From Dauphin PA
My 8 weight Loomis GL2 from the swap forum.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:51

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'd go with an 8wt. Anything heavier will be too much for bass and steelhead.

Don't ever be dissatisfied with a purchase. Do your research and get what you want. No use in buying something that you're either going to hate, or will break on you in the next year. If you need to save up, then do so.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:53

I have landed Kings and Steel on that reel. I have beat the crap out of that set up due to not caring about it. It has yet to fail me and such I fish salmon\steel maybe 5 times a year. It is good enough. This is just my opinion and obviously not everybody else's.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:05

From florida
8 wt. reddington crosscurrent outfit will do the trick. GG

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:14

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
I have landed Kings and Steel on that reel. I have beat the crap out of that set up due to not caring about it. It has yet to fail me and such I fish salmon\steel maybe 5 times a year. It is good enough. This is just my opinion and obviously not everybody else's.

My comment was more to the OP about saying he didn't want to buy anything expensive due to possibly breaking it and not using it too often. The Bean combo probably is a great rod and reel for the job he wants it to do. I've owned a good big of LLBean gear over the years and have enjoyed it. Their warranty is hard to beat as well. My advise would to go there and test cast it.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:37

From SE PA - Chester County
the diamondback 8wt or 9wt in the swap forum...

MADE IN THE USA

Posted on: 2013/9/16 17:52

From Luzerne County, PA
My comment was based on personal experience, I've never used a LLBean "combo". You say you've landed salmon & steelhead on it, therefore it must be a decent reel.

My experiences were with St. Croix & Reddington combos, the reels in my opinion were lacking.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 19:39

It is nothing fancy and if you obviously going to use it more times then me, then buy a better reel. It gets the job done and I know if a fish ever explodes it it will be replaced. Just my opinion. You can upgrade over time.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 19:53

From Bethlehem, PA
I got a cheap 9' 8 wt. rod and reel set from Cabelas, Wind River is the name, I think. This is my third year on it fishing for kings and cohos on the SR. I have yet to get up there in prime steelhead season but plan on that this year. Kings and cohos really beat up and rod and real but this one has been adequate thus far. I would not spend a bundle on a rod and line but a decent reel is helpful and would be a good investment.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 9:11

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

From LV
I use a 9 wt 9 ft for salmon, and a 6 wt. 9ft for steel. Both are Loomis IMX rods, very stiff and fast, but others prefer and they are probably right that a somewhat slower rod is better.
Can anyone tell me when the Atlantics start running?

Posted on: 2013/9/17 11:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com