Fishing in the rain...

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Thinking about going out in a bit to the Lackawaxen but the forecast says sporadic rain. Will anything still be hatching in the rain? The water level is good right now where I will be fishing (towpath area) but wondered if it would be worth the trip? The air temp has dropped about 15 degrees in the last two hours. Thanks!

Rain typically = good.

Good to hear...then I will be leaving around 5 or 5:30.

Is there any other time to fish? I consider myself a foul weather fisherman.

Ended up with a decent brown landed and a nicer rainbow jump off but hooked a MONSTER rainbow that was on for a split second and jumped a few times (probably thinking it was still hooked). This thing had to go 24" easy...my buddy who came with me was laughing and saw it jump (two times) along with me...said it looked like a steelhead! Biggest trout I have seen in person in the wild. Oh well, at least I know where he lives and that he might be there in the future.

Usually in the spring you can get really good olive hatches during a rainy spring morning. Probably goes for most hatches. Generally fish streams near me which don have a ton of aquatic insert life.

For what it's worth going forward, for me rain = BWOs on any stream that has them. Usually they're a solid bet early and late season, and sporadic this time of year, but the rain seems to bring them out. A few years ago, I was fishing an iso hatch in early June and it started pouring. The isos all but shut off but as quickly as that happened, BWOs started coming off, and the fish were taking them.

Probably had far more to do with the cloud cover, air pressure, and temperature than the actual precipitation, but since then I always keep a few parachute BWOs in my box and try them if it starts raining.

Some of the best catching I've had has been in the rain. But when I hear thunder I get outta there.

Ive typically done well in a light rain/mist but heavy rain will usually shut it down but bring the bugs out shortly after it stops if not too muddy.

Back