Fishing during a full moon

jjensen35

jjensen35

Need some opinions about fishing during a full moon. I plan a week long trip every year in mid-May to central PA. Looking at the moon stage during this year's planned week I see that it's going to be during a full moon. I've always heard that if you have a choice you should avoid fishing around a full moon. Don't know if this is an old wives tale or if there's something to it. I think I remember hearing that fish can see well enough (assuming no cloud cover) by a full moon to feed more during those nights and thus be a little less hungry during the day. Although the difference might be small I could shift my trip a week earlier or later that month to avoid the full moon. Any experience or opinions on this? As always, I appreciate the help.

I just read recently that a study of all the studies done on this topic over the last 50 years suggests that the moon phase hasnothing to do with whether or not you catch fish. I'm pretty sure the article was in Field and Stream.
Ihaven't ever paid much attention to the phase of the moon during fishing trips. That being said when it comes to weather conditions, I pay very close attention to the weather, particularly cold fronts.

It looks like the full moon is 14-16th of each month from Jan through summer. The only time I've been concerned with it if if I were doing a night fishing trip of some sort. Not sure that it helps the fishing but it makes it easier to see what you're doing.

I also really doubt that the moon phase has anything to do with fishing success.
I remember fishing after dark many times during a bright full moon, with fish splashing and slurping all over the place. And with good fishing during the day at that same time frame also.
Weather conditions and stream levels play a far more important roll in fishing success IMO

I have an app on my phone that encourages fishing during full and new moon. If I wanna go fishing, I'm going fishing whether it's raining, full moon, half moon with 67percent humidity, whatever the case is.

Find a resource that says full moon fishing is the best and you'll be good to go :)

But like Chaz said, I notice an activity change with cold fronts more than moon phase stuff.

Solanar Tables are useful in salt water as the tide flow affects fishing.
I check them and plan accordingly. I figure the moon affects stream fish as well. Fronts also determine feeding activity more prior to and an increase after. Stable barometer average fishing. GG

Thanks Everyone. Good feedback and reassuring to know I don't have to worry about the moon phase. Kind of what I thought, but great to hear a confirmation from those more experienced. I think it's probably more of a positive from a seeing what the heck you're doing standpoint if I want to do some late night streamer fishing.

I've always done pretty good during the full moon, fishing, hunting, crabbing etc.

I have found that the weather trumps everything as far as good fishing conditions. If you have a stable weather pattern then the moon phases seem to apply, however water conditions and available forage are also important. IMO moon phases are one of many factors. If you are planning a trip they can help improve the odds, but that is about it.

Fishing during a full moon is fine.

Howling is optional.

I haven't done much fishing at night but supposedly fog will shut things down until it clears.

There might be a tiny bit of truth that the fish may be able to see more by a full moon and thus feed more, but I doubt that vision at night accounts for that much of a difference maker, that it would ruin fishing during the day.

Full moon at night is great for walking around streamside, but I oftentimes feel like I'm fishing in broad daylight, or worse, given the silhouette that you form streamside or bridgeside.

I second what PhilC suggested about fog. It may have to do more with temperature or fronts moving through, which might tweak the dew point somehow, but I have yet to catch a fish at night when the fog is drifting off the water.

I agree with the weather trumps everything. in fresh water I could care less about the moon unless I am fishing a tidal river. in the salt a full moon sucks. Some may disagree but at night I want it to be as dark as it can get. a full moon with cloud covering it probably awesome but I have never really had any shot at it.

I think the whole moon thing relates to salt water with the movement of the tides. more moon means stronger tide and this will make bait fish easy to grab.

Back