Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fishing after dark?

Does anyone do this? Do you do anything different (lights or something to see?) It seems the 15-20 minutes before sunset is when things really start to get going. Then the light is gone. I can hear fish all around me splashing but I can't see a thing.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 15:34

Re: Fishing after dark?

From Ephrata, PA
You don't need to see...only feel! Headlamps are helpful, but don't shine them on the water. When you're fishing at night, it's lights out. The lamp should only be used to retie if needed, and for wading in/out if you have to....I try to not wade at all at night.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 15:59

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
Fishing into the dark after the evening hatch can be productive. Make short casts so you have a good idea of where your fly will blindly land. Keep your line tight if possible. Streamers work. Bug spray is a must.

My biggest brown came well over an hour after sundown in the middle of the summer. Set the hook on sound. Set the hook on every rise that sounds close to your fly. Most of the time they won't be taking your fly but the one time your line goes tight on the set, hold on b/c big browns are even more nocturnal this time of year.

Also, make sure your headlamp has a red light. It's bright enough to tie your fly but doesn't attract the mosquitoes.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 16:10

From Luzerne County, PA
Big Browns at night, wooo hooo, Squatch put it perfectly, use the light only to retie, don't cast unnatural light onto the stream.

Only thing I would add is to know your surroundings very very well, it helps to scout out an area before sunset.

River fishing for smallies can be a real blast at night also, the topwater bite should be getting into gear real soon.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 16:16

From Dauphin PA
Before its too dark to see, get your rig all squared away. Fish by sound / guesswork. When the line is yanked out of your hand, you have a fish. +1 on low light streamer fishing. It can be quite productive.

When line gets all jacked up, stumble out in the dark cursing. It quite simple.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 16:36

From Pittsburgh
You develop a knack for casting into the dark. And - as kray pointed out - fishing by sound, instead of sight. Any splash in the area where you think your fly is, you lift the rod. Many times, you have nothing.
But then, every so often - you're rewarded with a fish on.

It also is a good idea to know the spot you're in quite well - so you don't stumble into a large boulder, or off of a ledge into deep water

Posted on: 2013/6/26 7:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com