Fishing Trips

flyman123

flyman123

Hey fellow anglers,

I'll be graduating college this April and I've decided to take a trip out (somewhere) to go fly fishing for a week or so on my own. I was hoping to rent a little cabin for the week and just go out and do some fly fishing, hiking, you name it.

However, I've been having a hard time finding some places that would help make this happen. I don't think I want a guided trip as to me, that seems like a good way to spend a great deal of money. I have my own vehicle, so anywhere within 500 miles of Philadelphia is fair game.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm not looking to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars, I just want to have a good time and kick back before I begin the next big stage of my life.

Rip Some Lips,
Drew

This is near Kettle Creek. Great area.

http://www.quietoaks.org/cabins

Lehigh and Poconos area, Tough / Ohiopyle area, Pine / Cedar / Slate Run area, Catskills, Adirondacks. If you want to head south, S. Holston / Watauga and W. North Carolina. Any one of those will offer big water, tiny water, hiking etc.

Go to the catskills if you want a good amount of choices on water snd hiking. Plus the end of april is prime hatches up there.

Go to the catskills if you want a good amount of choices on water snd hiking. Plus the end of april is prime hatches up there.

There's also plenty of public land to camp on - state parks and state forests. With a few click of the buttons, you'd find yourself a ton of affordable, if not free, places to lay down your head after a full day of fishing.

Look for places in central PA. Northcentral PA in Potter and Tioga counties has great native Brook Trout fishing in certain places with good stockie fishing in some of the larger creeks and Southcentral has the famous limestone streams like Yellow Breaches and Big Spring that are full of big Rainbows and Browns. I plan on taking a trip like this myself within a couple years only I'll be heading as north as possible haha.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have boarded a plane after graduation, flew to Montana, rented a car I could sleep in, then "trout bum" it around for a while. But I graduated college in January, that's not a good time to be in Montana when you already hate PA winters.

Do your trips now while you're young and single, wish i had. Trout bum style would be great with a motel once or twice a week for hot shower and nice bed.

i've heard the area around the South river in Virginia has very good fishing with some spring creeks. Never been there but a family friend lives in that area and says the fishing is quite good - especially in april - the weather and hatches might be better than around here. he said their sulfur hatch is in the middle of april.

have wanted to check it out for a couple years now but work gets in the way.

A few of my favorites...1) Smokies - enough water for years of exploring. 2) Adirondacks - a place you can truly be alone. 3) NC PA - beautiful country, great variety of water

Many PA State Parks have cabins. Those have been my "camp" for years.

Check out Little Pine Creek State Park. You can walk down over the hill for excellent fishing or drive less than an hour for some world class trout fishing.

Rats!! I gave away my secret...

NCPA is still on the cold side at the end of April. Small streams still haven't really taken off yet.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
NCPA is still on the cold side at the end of April. Small streams still haven't really taken off yet.

That's true.

You might try Shenandoah Park. Things can be chilly there too in late April. But the season is somewhat ahead of NC PA, simply because it's further south.

We had very good dry fly fishing there around April 21-24 or so. This was in the afternoon, after things warmed up. In the mornings it was pretty chilly, and you couldn't do much with dry flies.

I can just affirm that. Even in Lancaster, I can start using a dry fly towards the end of March and have success. So going south would be the way to go, I think. SNP is a great suggestion (and a place I'd love to try as well!)

SNP is sweet. You can fish mossy creek a day or two also, and the river too, along with loads of great brookies/mixed streams. Good access, you can camp in a cabin or something, rent a house cheap (I saw some basic ones real cheap) or get a permit (free?) and backwoods camp in the park and really get deep in there.

All the other suggestions are good too. Too many good options. Have fun. I will be doing the same.

allan_s wrote:
White River, Vermont

Haha. I just got home from there about two hours ago. I wasn't fly fishing though.

Sounds like a blast, always wanted to do the Shenandoah Valley

If it interests you, April is probably a good time to fish the new keystones stocked big trout streams.

I would head South too if I had to plan ahead. April weather is not reliable in Northern PA and NYS. It can be great, but it can be awful too. I've been to the Catskills in the last week in April when it was great (hendricksons were on) and when it was dead.

However, you have the ability to be a real trout bum and travel in any direction based on conditions. I would hold off making a decision while keeping track of conditions from North Carolina to the Salmon R in NY and make plans at the last minute. Smokies, southern tailwaters, Shenandoah Valley, Western MD, WV, central PA limestoners, Potter Co, Catskills, central NYS (Cohecton, Geganslet, Tioughnioga, Otselic etc are hidden gems), or drop back steelhead. If somewhere anywhere on the East coast were on fire I would follow the action.

Wmass wrote:
allan_s wrote:
White River, Vermont

Haha. I just got home from there about two hours ago. I wasn't fly fishing though.

Maybe I will PM for some information. I have been through there once, a long time ago, and always wanted to get back to fish. I will be going up there this Fall for a long weekend as a fishing trip.

Back