Fishing Trip need help

W

wardog

I need some help I've been fly fishing for a year I have a chance to take week off with out the wife and would like to go fishing I live out side of the valley forge area. Thanks for any help

How far do you want to travel?

I was thinking 3 or 4 hours

Possibilities are pretty extensive with that range, almost endless. I don't know what timeframe you're looking in, but I'll assume the next month or so.

You've got all of the central PA streams (Penns, Spring, Little J, Fishing Creek, etc) as one option. You could stay in one location and fish any number of streams.

You've also got the Upper Delaware/etc system. E & W branches, main stem not to mention Beaverkill, Willowemoc, Neversink and Esopus also right there.

If you're willing to drive 5 hours, you could head up to the Salmon River and head out for kings, coho and/or steelhead.

If you end up considering the Salmon River please keep in mind that it is both absolutely awful and incredibly spectacular at the same time.

This is a direct result of it being a festering stinkhole of humanity comprised of the worst calamities of our species, which have no respect for the amazing and beautiful resource that just happens to course through the area.

greenlander wrote:
If you end up considering the Salmon River please keep in mind that it is both absolutely awful and incredibly spectacular at the same time.

This is a direct result of it being a festering stinkhole of humanity comprised of the worst calamities of our species, which have no respect for the amazing and beautiful resource that just happens to course through the area.

Wow, never heard it put quite like that. Tell us how you really feel?

Don't overlook the Lehigh. That is close and you also have the Yough about 4 hrs away

Greenlander,

That may be the best description of the salmon river that I've ever read. Sums it up nicely and I couldn't agree more.

The two hottest trout fishing areas in this state are hands down the Centre county area and out here in the Harrisburg area. Depends on what you prefer.
Centre county area of Spring, Fishing, Elk, and Penns with many, many wild browns and native brookies to catch, or here in the south central area of Letort, Big Spring, and Falling Springs with not so many but a chance at much larger fish and the occasional fish of a lifetime.
Good luck to you.

Centre county for trout, the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers for bass. Enjoy!

krayfish wrote:
Greenlander,

That may be the best description of the salmon river that I've ever read. Sums it up nicely and I couldn't agree more.

:)

Everytime I leave the SR I swear I'll never go back. It's not that there's always a bad experience involved. I've had many a pleasant, even quiet, day on the SR.

I just can't stand thinking about what the experience could be if NY DEC would take its head out of its *** and realize they have a world class fishery on their hands.

I was at SR last Thursday and Friday. No crowds and plenty of kings. (I was alone on a big pool in the DSR along with several hundred fresh, bright, and aggressive kings.) Spectacular weather. If you go during the week, you'll avoid a lot of the problems others note. As well, stay away from Pulaski and the areas just up and down stream from there. If you can afford a day at Douglaston Salmon Run, by all means go. During the week even fewer people there than elsewhere on the river. I've been to the SR on a weekend later in September; not a pretty sight. That said, I will never be able to afford to go to places that have the kind of fish in the quantities that come into the SR so it will have to do.

How in the heck did the Salmon River enter the conversation?

Anyway, we need more info. You after trout? If so, do you prefer persnickety but sometimes large fish in a pastoral setting? Just want lots of respectable sized fish? You into hiking deep into forests for bunches of brookies? How about huge brawling rivers? Does stocked vs. wild matter? When will this trip take place? You interested in doing anything else except fishing? If so, what? Will you be camping, getting a hotel room, etc?

Of course, if trout isn't a pre-requisite, there's saltier opportunities, or smallmouth, etc, in places that the wife my like better. Is the wife a fisherman, i.e. the whole trip is about fishing? Or is this a trip with the wife where you may also do a little fishing on the side?

Wardog,
The time of year matters too. Is this upcoming trip this month or the next couple months? If so, you might consider saltwater as well (it's much closer and a real change of pace). If your trip will be later in winter, I'd suggest central PA in the areas recommended by Squaretail.
Your question is really too broad and there are countless answers. If you haven't already done so, take some time to read this message board and the fishing reports for the time of year you expect to get away and some of the areas/waters that have been suggested.

I will be going the 2nd week in October my wife is not going with me I thinking just sticking with trout I just recenty sold my business and need to get away forw a little I sent my last 10 years working 70 hours a week and had 2 back surgerys and want to start injoying life and catch some fish. Thanks guys

Back