Fishing Journal

just_jon

just_jon

Just wondering how many of you keep fishing journals to record events of the day. I've been keeping them since the mid 70's and recently automated my journal keeping using an iPad. Finding it much less of a chore and more fulfilling primarily because of the ability to attach pictures to capture the outing.

jj - for decades now, I literally record stream events real time, with a micro tape recorder. I was given a nice digital voice recorder, but haven't migrated to it yet.

In all the decades I've ffished, I have met thousands of anglers. Many keep a written journal, and now lots carry cameras, nay even videocams, via smartphones. But I have yet to come across another voice recording angler.

I later transcribe the essential stats into a spreadsheet. Before Excel and Lotus, I even made up a rudimentary one with Basic.

When I ready myself for a trip, I find that replaying the relevant tape helps me recall lots of detail, all of which helps me enjoy the trip all the more, and sometimes even helps me catch more effectively.

tl
les

Just started doing it in 2012. I have created a map book, using zoomed images from Google maps. It allows me to know GPS coordinates to various streams and shows me various access points. On the back, I have printed an excel grid where I can write down data for that stream for that day. It's been fun so far. Of course, I have a feeling all the data collected this winter will be meaningless next year! We can't have 60 degree January and February days two years in a row!

lestrout wrote:
jj - for decades now, I literally record stream events real time, with a micro tape recorder. I was given a nice digital voice recorder, but haven't migrated to it yet.

In all the decades I've ffished, I have met thousands of anglers. Many keep a written journal, and now lots carry cameras, nay even videocams, via smartphones. But I have yet to come across another voice recording angler.

I later transcribe the essential stats into a spreadsheet. Before Excel and Lotus, I even made up a rudimentary one with Basic.

When I ready myself for a trip, I find that replaying the relevant tape helps me recall lots of detail, all of which helps me enjoy the trip all the more, and sometimes even helps me catch more effectively.

tl
les

And here I just thought you were talking to yourself! :-D

I tried the online version for a bit, but now just enjoy my time on the stream and fill up my mental slide tray....

wgmiller wrote:
I tried the online version for a bit, but now just enjoy my time on the stream and fill up my mental slide tray....

Wait until you get older and remembering what you had for breakfast is a struggle!

I kept one for the first few years a fly fished. Then I found it to be rather redundant, and quit

I'm an on-again, off-again journal keeper. I did it every year in the 1980s but then quit as it became a chore. Started up again in 2006 and 2009. I was going to keep one this year but decided that additional typing/paperwork wasn't needed on my plate this year and demurred. Maybe next year. I do greatly enjoy looking back at fishing trips from many years ago.

If you've never kept a fishing journal, I'd encourage you to give it a try for at least one season. You don't have to keep one every year but you will enjoy having them from the past.

I've begun posting summaries of every trip in a private repository on the internet, for my own personal records.

Haven't found any use in it, but have killed a few cold evenings re-reading it. No idea if I'll stick with it once I start fishing 4-5+ days a week, but I'd like to for at least this first year.

Have kept a fishing/hunting journal since 1967. Unlike you techno-savvy young guys, I use pen and paper and keep the stuff in notebooks. I sometimes enjoy remembering something from way back when, but I find that some trout I "remember" are a couple inches smaller in my journal. (I think I posted that once before.) Anyhow, I think keeping a journal is a nice way to remember previous successful--and unsuccessful--outings.

I have a journal I keep mostly for longer trips. If i go out for an hour or two I usually forget to write it down. When I go to Erie for a weekend, or a Jam or other get together I usually take the time to record significant events and people's names.

just_jon, what app do you use for the ipad?

This is my second, actually kinda my third year keeping ajournal. The first year I tried it(2010) I printed out paper with columns including date, stream, etc. all the important stuff but I also had on there what water type(riffle, run, etc.) I caught the fish in and all other kinds of tiny details. After the first few trips that became a pain writing all that stuff down.

Last year I just created an Excel spreadsheet and that worked out great. I include the date, body of water, # of fish caught, time of day, species, and conditions. I also have an "other" column where I'll write any other interesting stuff that happened. I'm doing it this year to. It doesn't really help me in any sort of way having a log, but it's always fun looking back on past trips.

I have the mustad 2000 or one in fly tie, plus recommend the online one which you can print blank ones out and load in a note book..super fly has one as well in the program..

Les - Had not considered the voice recorder. Since I never leave home without my iPhone, I need to remember to use that function. Will definitely enhance my recall.

Crotalus - Right now I using Apple's word processing app (Pages). I developed a blank template (who, what where, when, etc) and use it as a jumping off point. Need to learn how to establish folders to file reports in some logical manner. I checked out several journal apps and didn't really find any to my liking. Too much extransous stuff like guides, lodging, dining, drink, etc. does not fit my need for local outings. Also found that retrieval was awkward since the data was stored off-site. Not to mention having to remember your logon and password.

I've kept a journal of sorts for a long time now. Started out as a training diary for bike racing back in college, now I just jot notes down in an appointment calender for what I did that day, whether it's fishing, cycling or skiing. Pretty much just the basic details of where, when, how. Also do the blog thing which is an easy way to add pictures and more detail if an outting is worth a trip report.

In years past, I kept a notebook on again/off again. I'd mostly tally species of trout and what I caught them on, but I'd often find that I'd end up with multiple notebooks and no consolidated information. I also wasn't all that good with getting the data transferred to a spreadsheet. Inspired by this topic, I set out to find the right combination of documentary materials for this year.

I've come up with the following, that is serving me well (not just this year, I've used some of the online tools in the past, but this is what things have to evolved to for me):

These apps are Android specific, or at least thats the phone OS that I use them on. I don't know if they are available on iOS. Many of the places I fish don't have cell service in the stream area itself, but do in the parking lot area. Thats fine by me - I put the phone in Airplane mode, which affords me peace and quiet (for the odd time that you walk into a section that has a bit of service and the phone rings or notifies you of a text or email). The GPS still works fine - its all about location!

I document my walking portion of the excursion with Google Tracks. At the start of my fishing excursion, I begin recording the track and let it finish until I'm done. I can then export the tracks as GPX or KML files for use in desktop applications.

For the overall trip itself, I document its existence with Memoires. At the parking lot, I create a new memory entry. The app pulls in the current location and the current weather. I enter the name of the creek and proceed to fish. After I'm done, I go back and add some details about the trip, and anything that was, well, memorable. I attach any photos I take of fish or the stream or anything else related to the trip at this point.

For each fish that I catch, I recently found My Fishing Journal Widget. The goal of this app is to allow one to quickly record the information about a fish that you catch. You "Add Fish" and it can pull location and weather and allow you to enter other items - species, length, weight, water clarity and depth, what you caught it with, and lets you take up to four pictures. It takes minimal time to add a fish; the species is prefilled with what the last fish you caught was and all the other info is optional. You can also load previously caught fish in and it will use EXIF data (if it exists) for date and time, as well as location. It also provides some neat summary info, in the form of a map that shows the number of fish you caught in a location, a "Live Well" that shows each fish, and allows you to filter both of those items. Its still in beta, but the developer is responsive to feature requests and suggestions and it fills a niche that every other app I tried for logging fish fell short in. Thanks to the app, I can accurately tell you I've got 15 brookies, 6 browns, and 1 rainbow that I caught this year. I also know I've got two chubs, but they didn't make the cut for entry.

For truly memorable fish, I use my phone's camera app to record them, or the hole they came from. These photos are attached to the Memoires entry for the day and also attached to any fished that is logged in My Fishing Journal.

Finally, I have been videotaping stream excursions from start to finish using a ContourHD video camera. The model I have is EOL I think even though I just got it. Newer models have support for Bluetooth, which enables you to display the video using an app on your phone. I have a headband mount for it and it provides a point-of-view documentary of the entire fishing outing. I've managed to fill up my hard drive completely with footage, due to the warm weather. I wanted to use it so that hopefully some day, when I catch a truly memorable fish or see something out of the ordinary, I'll have it videoed. I'll put some footage up sometime if anyone is interested. Yesterday, I picked up the attack of a black-as-night brown trout that chased my bugger but that I missed; today, I filmed my discovery of a rib cage streamside.

I use Picasa to organize my photos locally, and post them to private albums on Picasaweb.google.com. I use Youtube for video posting. I use Google "My Maps" to document stream sections and then overlay this on my phone, which I can then use Google Navigation to get to.

I know that when I was a kid, one of the things we always clamored for Sunday evenings was to "look at slides". This mean breaking out the slide projector and looking at old slides that we had taken of our family as we grew up. Someday, I hope the digital entries that I create today will be of a nature that I can look back on them and be pleased.

I just keep my little Canon with me on every trip. I take at least a few fish pics each trip and love taking stream pics. Nothing brings back memories better than a picture, especially as I get older.

My father kept a journal from the 50's. Stream location, hatches, temperature, patterns used, number of fish caught, species. Sad to say I misplaced it years ago. Would be pretty cool to revisit.

wildtrout2 wrote:
I just keep my little Canon with me on every trip. I take at least a few fish pics each trip and love taking stream pics. Nothing brings back memories better than a picture, especially as I get older.

Ditto.

Back