Fishing Emergers/ Emerging Caddis Patterns?

A

AllWaterAngler

Hey all,

I feel kind of bad about asking this, but i need help. I was on a stream that had fish rising slightly out of the water for emerging caddis and i was lost. Even though i try to convince myself differently, I am useless when it comes to fishing emergers. I have hardly any practice doing it, and I hardly tie any because of this. I was just wondering if anyone had advice on how to get a natural presentation in front of these fish that were about three to four inches under the film? And if so, do you have any patterns that work best? I know of the sparkle pupa and such, but my knowledge ends there....

Thanks!

Soft hackles Soft hackles Soft hackles swung quartering downstream

What soft hackle pattern(s) might you suggest?

Peacock and Partridge is my favorite to use. I wrap one turn of cdc in dun color before the partridge. Helps catch air bubbles and imitate that caddis emerging. I am fishing this pattern just under the surface or in the film.

If the water is kind of flat, I'll fish a leader that's "greased" up to 3-4" in front of the fly.

Attachments

• images[9].jpg
    images[9].jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 2
  • images[11].jpg
    images[11].jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 3
troutpoop wrote:
What soft hackle pattern(s) might you suggest?

I do pretty well with a simple soft hackle pattern.

Hook - #14 or #16 wet fly
shuck - sparse tan antron or equivalent
abdomen - Loosely dubbed tan or green dubbing
thorax - darker dubbing (cinnamon or grey)
hackle - couple of turns of partridge

I usually rib it with fine gold wire or tying thread. After you finish, brush out the body to make it "buggy."

This post made me want to start tying more pupa patterns. Are the pupa a lighter color than the larva and emerged adult. Seems like a neat type of thing to tie. It seems these guys have pretty predominate eyes. I am thinking of tying a pupa with mon eyes. These pupa flies would be successful on a lift, correct?

if you want a good picture of a peacock soft hackle check out thefeatheredhook.com about 2/3 down the page there is a good picture

I got into a pod of rising fish on the Tully. I didn't know exactly what they were on but it appeared to be some type of emergers. Having read this thread earlier I decided to try two soft hackles. Well, it really worked! Fished for about an hour. Brought 7 to hand, employed the long distance release on 4 and missed many others. The top producer was a flashback pheasant tail soft hackle which is a traditionally tied PT with partridge hackle. I tie a piece of pearl or green flashabou over the back underneath the gold rib. Most of the takes were on a fairly tight line as the wet flies swung right through the zone of the feeding fish. It was a very effective technique and a lot of fun!

Just add a trailing shuck to your dry fly pattern, usually that's all it takes.

Back