Fishing Creek

T

tom416

I have recently joined the forum.
I have a question about Fishing Creek, North of Bloomsburg, PA.
In a few weeks I will have a couple of days off during the week and was thinking about driving up to fish the stream.
I read in a few stream guides that there is a location named the Narrows and wondered if there were any other places to fish the stream.
I am not asking for anyones hot spots or secret spots, just some locations where I could enjoy a nice day on what is supposed to be one of the better streams in PA.
Is there a place to stay near the stream? If I go up for a couple of days I would want to stay overnight as I live in the Paoli, PA area and it would take me about 3 hours to drive there.
Thanks to anyone who is willing to respond.
Tom Hartman

Tom, welcome to the Board. The Fishing Creek "above Bloomsburgh" is sometimes refered to as "Big Fishing Creek" and is in and around the town of Benton. see this website: http://www.fishingcreekangler.com/

I have not heard of the "Narrows" on Big Fishing Creek, but there is a section known as the Narrows on Fishing Creek, which is located in Clinton County near Lamar. See these links:
http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/fishingcreek.html
http://www.thefeatheredhook.com/stream.html

Once you confirm that you are asking about the stream in the Benton area, maybe some locals can help. Though I am not a local to Clinton County, I have fished that one many times and would recommend it as it is my favorite of the streams in that area.

Tom,

Being that there are quite a few Fishing Creeks in the state, sometimes one can get them confused.

When people mention the "narrows", they are talking about the Fishing Creek in Lamar, Pa. In my opinion, overall... this Fishing Creek ranks better than the one in Benton. The section between Lamar and Tylersville Hatchery is a great place to fish and wander around in the summer. There are some deep holes, good riffs, a fair amount of shade, and great fishing. You may see some other anglers, but when I have been there this year I have yet to run into anyone.

The Fishing Creek over around Benton and Bloomsburg is still good fishing, but has a tendency to become fairly warm in the summer. The lower end around Bloomsburg will be too low and warm for trout, but the bass fishing should be good. The catch and release area below route 118 is generally the best bet during the summer for trout. The springs and shade help keep the water a bit cooler and trout active. The last couple times I've driven over it while going to and coming from NY, the East and West Branches have been low. But I'm sure you can fool a couple trout with a stealthy approach.

Michael Foreman

I would recommend the Delayed Harvest section that is just right above town. It is at the end of a dirt road that goes through a large farmers field and is across from that grocery store there. I think it is the right turn right after a bar called "Cameo's".

When you get there in the parking lot work your way downstream as upstream you hit a "Posted" section. Just downstream of where you start there is a nice hole that is narrow with some fast currents. I pulled in one of the prettiest rainbows and biggest for that matter that I have ever caught in that hole there. In fact it was while fishing there last summer.

Good luck,

BJ

Back