Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Fishing Creek Angler

From Bucks County
I just learned Fishing Creek Angler in Benton Pa. is closing its doors after 15 years. This is a nice shop and I’m sorry to see it go. The folks who run it, Lee and Maryann Gaul always treated us right. For what it’s worth, they will be having an inventory clearance sale April 5th. Mods, if this is not the correct place to post this, please move it to the appropriate section.

Rolf

Posted on: 3/12 14:26

Re: Fishing Creek Angler

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
hard to compete with craft stores !!

Posted on: 3/12 15:49

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Sad to hear. We spent a lot of time and money at FCA when we would fish in the area. I still have and wear the Simms waders I bought from Lee over 10 years ago.

Any reason for closing that you know of?

Posted on: 3/12 20:10

From Ferguson Twp.
It saddens me to see places that have been around for a long time close down. You get such a good feeling walking in to those places, you know a big smile and a warm greeting are yours when you arrive. Just knowing they're there kinda gives you a good feeling.

Posted on: 3/13 6:22

From Mount Joy, PA
In the age of "big box" stores and the internet "storefront", running a small brick-and-mortar store is a really tough proposition. There is no doubt that the service and personal attention you get in these stores is far superior to any other means, but short of having it be a part-time or retirement gig, it's got to be tough to make a living running a fly shop. It's sad because they are a unique aspect to our sport/avocation/vocation.

Posted on: 3/13 8:05

From Berks County, PA
Might be a new fly shop coming to Benton. Stay tuned.

Ron

Posted on: 3/13 9:03

From Sweet Valley
I just moved to the area, have been by the shop 5-6 times but they weren't open any time I came by. Well it looks like getting my dad to stop by the Paradise or TCO will be the way I am getting my supplies.

Posted on: 3/13 9:53

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

allan_s wrote:
have been by the shop 5-6 times but they weren't open any time I came by.

Found the same thing when I was up there. Not exactly a business model for success. I got the feeling they catered to the more affluent few and not the everyday, regular flyfishing bum like me. Still sad to see it go, it's a heckuva trout stream and deserves a nice little fly shop nearby but as William Munny once said "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

Posted on: 3/13 15:21

From Harpers Ferry, WV
I looked for a website. Does anyone know if they are selling the shop or just closing it?

Posted on: 3/13 16:02

From Bucks County
Quote:

charliepff wrote:
I looked for a website. Does anyone know if they are selling the shop or just closing it?

Looks like they are closing and keeping the location.

Posted on: 3/13 16:08

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

Rolf wrote:
Quote:

charliepff wrote:

Looks like they are closing and keeping the location.

I don't remember for sure but I kinda think they run a B&B there as well.

Posted on: 3/14 11:41

From Harpers Ferry, WV
That is a bummer. I would buy a place like that in a heart beat. I couldn't sell my house fast enough to take over a business like that.

Posted on: 3/14 20:13

From Landenberg, PA
You wouldn't need too - most credit unions would offer a bridging loan until your home sells,, or a HELOC based on the Equity in your current property.

Also if you have a decent income you could get an 'interest only' mortgage ion the store without selling your home .

If anyone wants to make a fly store a success these days I think you need two things to do well - a strong Internet presence, and a strong community presence - TU, TIC, Healing Waters, Casting for recovery, craft brewers etc.

Plus I think if you are near a stream and offer rooms I think you'd be golden - never rich in money terms but very happy surely.

I dream in my semi retirement of the doing the above - I'd do the B&B the Irish way - no foo foo country style rooms for $100 a night with 2 night minimum, just a warm comfy bed in a clean room for $30, a wader drying room, and $10 for a heart attack Irish breakfast.

That would allow a lot of repeat visits rather than just one a year.

You wouldn't get rich but you'd get a very loyal customer base for your store n perhaps have a nice lifestyle too.

Posted on: 3/15 3:41

From Berks County, PA
I think they key to having a successful fly shop includes the following.

1. Good inventory that fits both the local population and out of town visitors. Sell unique items that maybe others don't necessarily carry.

2. Great personality and not overly opinionated. Provide instruction when asked.

3. As stated internet presence and supporting local affiliations

4. Set up the shop where people want to come and stay or hang out. Longer the customer is in the shop the more they typically buy. Make the customer feel part of the shop.

5. Common sense approach where the customer always comes first. Provide the best customer service. This is missing in today's business world.

6. Be approachable to everyone.

7. Educate yourself on all new products and existing inventory.

8. Be flexible to industry change.

9. Last but not least....Keep normal shop hours and understand that not all customers can visit the shop during normal day time hours and turn the lights on...

Ron

Posted on: 3/16 8:30

Shame. We keep losing places. I haven't heard anything from Oil Creek outfitters since last year. The front porch sign is broken and laying in the front yard. That leaves the closest fly shop to me at Neshannock Creek.

Posted on: 3/16 20:41

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com