HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fishin' with the bovines

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:
Geebee, with "the lost misters" statement, I believe you are confusing heifers (young female) and steers (castrated male).

sorry, for the confusion - a language thing. In Europe we call the castrated males for fattening Heifers rather than steers :

http://uk.ask.com/question/what-is-a-baby-bull-called

although fat chicks are called Heifers as slang, but that is because they have fatted calves....

Dairy cows i've never had an issue with, except the occasion licked window or mirror.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 16:10

Quote:

geebee wrote:
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:
Geebee, with "the lost misters" statement, I believe you are confusing heifers (young female) and steers (castrated male).

sorry, for the confusion - a language thing. In Europe we call the castrated males for fattening Heifers rather than steers :

although fat chicks are called Heifers as slang, but that is because they have fatted calves....

Dairy cows i've never had an issue with, except the occasion licked window or mirror.

I did not know of the language differences. I apologize for bringing it up.

Thanks for explaining that though, I learned something today.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 18:07

From Landenberg, PA
Hey no worries, I figured steers were all cattle too.

And obviously, if you see a beast with a ring through its nose it's always a bull, even if it ain't black but is a pretty tan or palomino. Another give away is its on it's own in a big field.

I've had to walk the long way round to car a few times when the farmers moved them to another field during the fishing day.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 20:32

From Lancaster County
Quote:

geebee wrote:
Hey no worries, I figured steers were all cattle too.

And obviously, if you see a beast with a ring through its nose it's always a bull, even if it ain't black but is a pretty tan or palomino. Another give away is its on it's own in a big field.

I've had to walk the long way round to car a few times when the farmers moved them to another field during the fishing day.

I've had bulls move me to another field when farmers didn't move them to another field. Also interesting to be fishing down in a stream with high banks and have a bull show up on the bank above you..

Posted on: 2013/9/15 20:47

From Ephrata, PA
Growing up in Lancaster, you deal with the local wildlife. Killer sheep, bulls, cattle, horses, it's all part of the fun of fishing Lancaster and Lebanon County!

Posted on: 2013/9/17 14:14

Cows are not dangerous.

Bulls are very dangerous though.

They've killed a lot of people over the years. Never take chances with them.

Never go in a pasture where there is a bull.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 15:00

From Nicholson PA
The cows are no big deal but I am loven the part about the fence(WACK)hahahahhahahah

Posted on: 2013/9/17 15:28

From Other side of the tracks

I'm obviously enjoying this thread, especially yours, geebee. Heifers are females that haven't produced a calf yet. But you did give some decent about how to handle steer

Another one that always amazes me is that so many people think that only bulls have horns. They are not antlers, they are horns. My bull doesn't, and my cow does (or at least did when she was a baby).

Steer will often mock charge, but they have no balls literally and figuratively. You still shouldn't trust them or turn your back. If they mock charge, stand your ground and stare them straight in the eyes and talk to them or even yell in a stern voice. It is not hard to chase them off, either.

However, bulls can be dangerous depending on the bull and what is going on around him. My bull is as mean as a spoiled rotten puppy dog. He doesn't' know any tricks, but will beg for treats and loves to be scratched behind the ears. But I don't recommend others trying this other than through the fence.

Not a very good fishing companion.

Attach file:

jpg  bull.JPG (124.44 KB)
348_5238b04757483.jpg 738X553 px

Posted on: 2013/9/17 15:40

Quote:

geebee wrote:
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:

Well geebee, Jeeves is full of shart.

link

Note I did the UK only thing.

Besides the heifer thing, any young bull sold at two weeks old is almost always from a dairy breed and sell for damn cheap and often end us as veal. I know a guy who gets a couple of them for free every year, but steers them and raises them to full size.

BTW, my cattle are a UK breed.

And note no ring.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 15:52

From Landenberg, PA
Herefords Dave ?

though that could be a Guernsey in the background....

its funny but we've always always called em heifers.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 18:53

From LV
Did you try the cow bomb fly?

Posted on: 2013/9/17 23:01

From Dauphin PA
The quittie (late 80's early 90's). Before they began stocking it again, I found a few stretches where the fish made it through the pollution and provided good trico fishing.

The meadow I fished had some enormous breed of white / grey cows. They would follow me up and down the banks. The youngsters were especially curious. Some would nudge me in the back almost knocking me into the stream. I told my buddy that they looked like rodeo bulls but he insisted that they were harmless. He was right until the guy added a very angry bull to the pasture. I did see him because he was back in the saplings. When we finally met, I was busy casting to a 'fish and I hear moans and lots of foot shuffling. When I turned around, he was "digging my grave" with his front hoof. I froze. He fake charged stopping a few feet from me. I sacrificed a sage rod whacking him in the eyes and nose. Didn't stop him. The next time he charged, I took my broken rod and jumped into the creek. If you've fished the mid-lower quittie, it's kind of like the letort. I was in over my waders, sinking in mud and tangled in weeds. By the time I got to the bridge and past his fence, I had to remove the suspenders and crawl up the bank in my socks. That was a long time ago and my last cow experience. I'll avoid them if possible.

Someone mentioned the farm on FS from back in the day. Fished it several times but I remember those guys being quite friendly.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 0:05

Quote:

geebee wrote:
Herefords Dave ?

though that could be a Guernsey in the background....

No. Herefords are usually redish brown with a white face. We almost went with Herefords because they are usually mild tempered, plus my wife's step dad used to raise a couple hereford steer each year.

The color of the calf is about right for a Guernsey so that was a good guess.

Those two are both full blooded Dexter which is a breed that originated in Ireland. Black is the dominant color, but they also come in red and dun. Dexter/Kerry are the smallest of the UK breeds. By the 70s, they were nearly gone from this continent because everyone wanted bigger, but they are making a comeback. Their small size and dual (or tri-) purpose makes them perfect for the small family farm and frankly they are getting to be quite a fad. Dun apparently is the rarest, but most popular color. I sold the last dun heifer calf to a farm in Tennessee for over twice what I would have gotten if she had come out black like her parents. We are now 2 for 2 on dun heifer calves. Not bad considering I didn't even know the bull and cow carried those genes when we bought them.

Right now we have just the three dexters along with a steer that is half dexter and half British White Park. Now there is a cool breed. However, this steer takes after his mother who was a red dexter. We will be adding at least one more Dexter this fall, probably 2. One will be a steer, the other a heifer.

As far as the confusion in England about heifer and steer? Y'all must have been watching too many cartoons back in the 90s.

One of the characters was a steer named Heifer.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 7:39

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Cows are not dangerous.

Bulls are very dangerous though.

They've killed a lot of people over the years. Never take chances with them.

Never go in a pasture where there is a bull.

This response is more of a disclaimer than anything. Troutbert gave good advice and I wasn't trying to discount this in any way with my comments. In fact, I hadn't read his before I wrote mine. The bulls can be quite dangerous. Awhile back, the father at the farm just up the road was killed by his own Angus bull.

My bull is more like a pet ... to us. However, I don't know what he would do if a stranger walked through the pasture without one of us with them.

Don't turn your back on them. They can kill someone by accident or while just playing around.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 8:01

From LV
I remeber once when I was about 8 years old, riding my bike to Pennypack Creek in Fox Chase and fishing and being chased by large Angus, it was a bit scary when your maybe 4'8".

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:03

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com