Fishermans Paradise

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

Don't ever remember that small stream section in the foreground?

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2064/11513716/20553543/367075566.jpg

I'm not old enough to remember that. But I think the remnants of that channel are still visible today. The location of the photo, I think, is looking downstream, the footbridge at the same location as today, the Stackhouse building would be off to your right.

Upstream from this point you can still see where there was a diversion dam and a channel. It's a little faint because of all the changes over the years, but you can still see it.

Wasn't this channel the "women's and children's" section of the Paradise? Or maybe it was just to feed water into the hatchery?

not there in the 60s

I think troutbert is correct. There was at one time a women's section which, I believe, hugged the hillside on the other side of the modern day hatchery. The lower end of this diversion came out where the short hatchery outflow is today. My guess would be that this postcard is probably circa 1930s.

troutbert that makes a lot of sense, but I don't remember a road near the ladies stream, could be that it was above the section where they allowed fishing? Here is another postcard.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2064/11513716/20553543/367075559.jpg

On the first picture is that big tree just upstream from the bridge still there?

another thread had me thinking about the paradise while I was fishing in paradise this am[4]
I knew Jayl was going to hit me for something I said so I was remembering using 8x[3/8lb wet] and 28s to catch a ton of fish but sure lost a lot and played them longer than PC now.
For nymphing I used 7x[3/4] and fur bodied 22 nymphs with micro split shot-
I was one of those REALLY obnoxious show offs that would know where to stand to catch fish after fish while the heavy tackle guys were getting skunked-lol
I would act oh so blase even though I was gloating inwardly-don't you just hate that type.

Pete,

I would probably use 8x if I fished size 28s. I don't so I won't.

I use 7x for 26s, and that's all the smaller I care to go. I haven't done so in about a year and a half.

In the 40s and 50s some guys used silk thread for tippets, very supple very strong, those fish were drag shy

In the water above the dam you could walk down stream and drift nymphs right into the trouts mouths.

littlejuniata wrote:
troutbert that makes a lot of sense, but I don't remember a road near the ladies stream, could be that it was above the section where they allowed fishing? Here is another postcard.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2064/11513716/20553543/367075559.jpg

On the first picture is that big tree just upstream from the bridge still there?

The road that you see in the lower part of the picture is still there. It's a PFBC service road.

I'm guessing that what you see here is the upper part of the channel, not far below where it was diverted off the main stream. The area set aside for women and children may have been the same channel, but further downstream.

LittleJuniata, if you get over to the Paradise sometime, let me know. I'll meet you there. Bring your photos and we can look around. I know some other people who would be interested in learning more about the history, and stories etc.

I just had an idea. Someone should organize a Fishermans Paradise Reunion day! Spread the word and invite everyone who remembers the glory days of the Paradise to come, and share memories. Everyone who has photos could bring them along and set up a display. And people could bring tackle and flies from that era. How cool that would be! Someone else will have to organize it, though. I'm just an idea guy. :)

Maybe the PA flyfishing museum people might want to organize this. I'm guessing the PFBC would be cooperative with this, too.

The Public Relations Department at PSU should be able to handle the arrangements. Shall I give them a call for you?

anyone from the early 60s remember Tony from Bellefonte and Big John who tied beautiful Royal Coachman on 28s????
As I have mentioned before-you very quickly learned you had to follow the color sequence even on 22 nymphs.
When they wanted dark grey,lt grey brown,tan would bomb-etc.
Best school of all.

JackM wrote:
The Public Relations Department at PSU should be able to handle the arrangements. Shall I give them a call for you?

I don't get it. ????

That would be a great idea a meeting at the Paradise, plus a museum of our local artifacts, Geroge Harvey would be delighted.. Here are a couple of the buttons, don't know if the color meant anything or not, I may also have the cash register that was at the little booth where they sold flys, would gladly donate all my little bit of stuff to the musuem.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2064/11513716/20553543/367075540.jpg

If you look at the second postcard to the left (the two stone walls)that may be the beginningof the diverson of water to the ladies stream, which was almost at the very downstream end of the main Paradise, where it reenterd the stream was nearly the bottom boundry if I remember correctly

Possibly there could be room in the Stackhouse building to display the stuff? Ollie Deibler would be soo proud, folks came from around the world to fish there, heck even Ray Bergman fished there

Are you saying that they actually diverted some water for the ladies to be able to fish away from the men? That's both sad and hilarious.

The only time I ever had a woman try to pick me up on a stream was at the Paradise-no kidding-she was all decked out in the attire,had a rod and walked up and started flirting-my first reaction was she just liked to fish but there was no doubt she was looking for a "fishing man".
My wife was back at the car and this gal wasn't that tempting anyway but had to give her A for effort-maybe that's why they had separate sections-lol

no-just glasses and back then men did not make passes at girls who wore glasses or had large derrieres .Unless they were drunk and it was the middle of the day-and she was sober.

pete41 wrote:
no-just glasses and back then men did not make passes at girls who wore glasses or had large derrieres .Unless they were drunk and it was the middle of the day-and she was sober.

...and you were fishing and your wife was back at the car, and the fishing was slow... ;-)

Back