Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Fisherman mortality.....not fish mortality

From West Chester,PA
Andy:great post.

I'm 75 and I fished 5 hours yesterday in the Leighton Area.so don't sell your fishing longevity short.

A few thoughts:retire as early as you can, and make friends with great fishing buddies.There are several people on this forum who have kept my enthusiasm level for fishing (and life)very high.

I have fished with you only once on the Susquehanna,and I immediately saw that you had a great love and enthusiasm for fishing that you shared very easily.
Happy Birthday
Tom

Posted on: 2017/1/5 8:38

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

salvelinus wrote:
I turned 65 today. I walked 7 miles on the local rail trail this morning, as I do several times a week. I'm gonna fish like hell until I can't.

That's the trick, keep on keeping on. Age, is but a number. You're as old as you feel.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 8:41

From Lancaster Co.
Having survived reaching the half century mark myself a couple of years ago I can sympathize with you Kray. At the same point, I would say life is far from over at 50 if you take care of yourself. My biggest concerns as I age are loss of vision and dexterity. Hate the thought of not being able to see well enough to tie on a #16 sulphur or struggling to tie flies and knots.

On one hand I can't wait to retire but on the other hand I don't want to wish away the years.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 10:55

From florida
I had to laugh. Fifty, your a pup. Twenty more years? Sympathy, not from me. Getting old ain't
' for sissies. Health issues aside,we all will end up with time to use as we see fit. Grab your "time" buy the throat and strangle it. Have fun! GG

Posted on: 2017/1/5 11:46

Matt, Tom and others in the silver fox crowd….great job guys and keep it going another 5, 10 or 20 years!

I’m not saying that my fishing will be over in the next 15-20 years but I’ll have to start altering what I do…..like no more wading back and forth across the Susky walking a mile and a half down the Delaware and then crossing a riff that’s too dangerous to cross, rowing the boat 13 miles on a windy day, etc. Some of this was definitely spurred by a visit with my dad who has started to look so old and frail. You then get a good look what’s in YOUR near future.

I’m not looking forward to being the old guy that stands right by the pull off. Being limited to standing in one spot to fish makes it a lot less appealing. It’s like being a 75 shooter in golf and now you can’t break 120. Kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn’t it?

When I was very little, I was diagnosed with a rare eye disease / condition. Based on everything I was told, I’d have a very good chance of being blind by 30-35. My eyesight isn’t very good but still can see a #16 sulpher at 50’-60’……on most days.

Since 35, every day I’ve gotten out of bed and was still able to see was a win. I wear fairly strong contacts and 1.75 cheaters just to tie on a fly some days. Once I get it out there, I can see it better but sometimes rely on my fishing partner to say “Got it” or “Hey, wasn’t that your fly he just ate?”

Posted on: 2017/1/5 14:16

From ligonier
Hey Andy...Now that you will be receiving AARP literature in the mail might want to consider that trolling motor on the stealth craft. Who am I kidding I am willing to put down a bet that you will be rowing 13 mile in a stiff wind for a very long time to come...If not there is always that motor.
And as far as being willing to share experience, knowledge and a few beers you are right up there with the best of them. Thanks for what you have share with me.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 14:29

From SW PA
Your welcome.
( for pointing out the fly was gone from the rise form)

Posted on: 2017/1/5 14:32

From Penns Creek Canyon

Kray you have some good days ahead oh you yet. I miss fishing with my a few older friends with back and health problems and my grand father who's passed away think about them a lot when I am on the stream.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 15:01

From Lehigh Valley PA
Kray,

The way I saw you row the stealth up river to chase Norm's fish in October tells me you have a lot of good years left in the tank. Counting down the days till April 1st.... hopefully we have better water this year

Posted on: 2017/1/5 15:21

From Southwestern PA
Thanks for sharing your story.

Quote:

krayfish2 wrote:

When I was very little, I was diagnosed with a rare eye disease / condition. Based on everything I was told, I’d have a very good chance of being blind by 30-35. My eyesight isn’t very good but still can see a #16 sulpher at 50’-60’……on most days.

This scares the shit outta me more than anything else. About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Keratoconus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus) and my vision has all but gone to shit in those 5 years. I just turned 31 in December Im worried about what the next 50 years will bring. So i can definitely feel your pain on this.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 15:31

Back the Brookie

http://bluelinesandbrookies.blogspot.com/

From LV
I'm starting to think about this stuff and I'm 67. I do know a guy who was fishing in his late 80's. He was no longer wading and fishing places he could walk along the stream. I'll be happy to have you at my camp and go fishing in NC PA anytime after the end of March and until the end of Nov.
Great post BTW.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 17:18

I owe DaveS credit for a list 50% of the fish I catch because he always has to yell "fish on" before I pull. Lol. Seriously

Posted on: 2017/1/5 18:00

My fly fishing began sometime in the late 1950's when I tied my first flies on my father's bench vise in the basement of our home. I alternated between spin and fly fishing until I graduated from Penn State in the late 1960's, but I knew the direction my fishing career would take when I was given a treasure trove of vintage fly fishing gear that belonged to my wife's late grandfather, and I found myself skipping classes to fish the local streams around State College - Penns, Spring Creek, Big Fishing Creek and others.

After graduating from college, I got my first real job and relocated to Lancaster County, but I may probably have fished as much as I worked over the next several decades. I spent days, if not weeks on end, fishing many, if not most, of the better known streams and rivers in PA and NY, and elsewhere in the northeast. I loved fishing the Upper Delaware for trout and the Salmon at Pulaski, for example, before theses places were so commercialized, and before all of the lodges, drift boats and river guides, were on those rivers. Back when you could hook (though maybe not land) over a dozen or more big, wild rainbows on the main branch in a good evening's fishing.

I made my first fishing trip west in the mid-1970's after corresponding with Dan Bailey in Livingston, MT, and continued to go fishing somewhere in the northwest at least a time or three, every year until I was able to fully retire when I turned 55, when my wife and I headed out there to spend the entire summer. That was 17 summers ago, and we've been doing the same every year since, and return home to PA now for just the winter.

I turned 70 this past year, and I am definitely slowing down. Yep, I sold my Hyde at the end of this past summer, and have ordered a new Clackacraft for delivery in May, because I think it should be easier to row. (I don't have any problems rowing 13 miles in windy weather though, and still do it regularly.). And, wbranch, I'm putting a 2-stage winch on the Clackacraft's trailer, to make it easier for my best friend to winch the boat up steep take-outs. (He's 81 years young.)

I guess you might also say that age is catching up to me because I'm also buying a new pickup truck camper this spring so I can have a bit more comfortable place to sleep than on the bare floor of my truck bed in sub-freezing weather like I did a few times last fall while chasing those big fish that migrate out of Hebgen Lake into the Madison River. Well, for that, and maybe for not having to get up at 3:00am in order to be on the river before daylight, when I can take that camper the day before. Or, perhaps to have a warmer place to sleep than in the front seat of my truck when the temperature in West Yellowstone read 17°, or when my fingers got a bit cold when tying on those baetis dries while fishing in a snowstorm on the Missouri.

Yessiree, getting old is a beech. But it still beats the alternative.

John

Posted on: 2017/1/5 18:33

From York & Starlight, PA
Hey Andy,

If you row the Hyde I'll tie you're flies on for you. I still have 20/20 close up vision without eye glasses.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 19:13

You older fellas are an inspiration. It's amazing to me how people age so differently. Some people hit 70 or 80 and do nothing more than sit around all day watching the weather. I pray that when I hit that age I'm still able to fish and enjoy the outdoors. I hope I still have the motivation and drive to get out and enjoy life as you all are.

Posted on: 2017/1/6 16:41

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com