Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fish Travel

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, this isn't all that unusual for stocked fish. It would be fairly unusual for wild fish I think.

Theories? I certainly don't know. I'm not sure if any studies have been done along these lines, and could be proved wrong. But I've always believed that trout establish somewhat of a "home" at a certain age. A lot of this could be water chemistry related.

So, for instance, if a trout was raised in a limestone fed hatchery, this line of thinking would say that the fish is unlikely to feel comfortable in any freestone water, especially a more acidic one. And it could go "looking" for water more similar to it's home water.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 22:02

From Da 'Berg, PA
one theory is emf's from stream buried power cables can screw a fishes lateral line or there is a genetic flaw that causes a screw up in their natural compass.

i've also read that this may help nature restock formerly polluted streams - this was Salmon and sea run browns in Europe though...

its nature, who knows ?

Posted on: 2013/5/21 23:04

From Dauphin PA
I can't speak for the theory of stocked fish moving but the migratory fish in the Delaware are wild. I still can't understand how the fish got from Bowmanstown to Hancock.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 23:30

From Wayne County
I would assume the Bowmanstown fish went downriver to the D then upstream

Posted on: 2013/5/22 6:37

From Chester County
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
I wasn't familiar with the story of a tagged fish from the Lehigh ending up in the WB. Is that even possible? I know the NY DEC radio tagged fish for a study. I think is wa back in the late 90's. I believe they documented fish migration from the lower sections of the main stem all of the way up into the Beaverkill. I think a few fish made it as far as the fly fishing museum on the Willowemoc. Swimming up the Beaverkill would suck! It was like it was one fish per year doing it but a fairly large number of fish were moving that route every year. I think fish are more transient than we would like to believe. If you told me there were large pods of trout that roam the Susky and then move 60 miles up feeders for cold water during the summer.... I'd believe it.

15 miles of main stem + 15 miles of EB and then 20+ miles of the Beaverkill.

On the Beaverkill, I've caught what I believe were wild rainbows from the D (the wild, wild rainbows that rip out line and tail dance across the water). I'm a believer.

Also, I have no doubt that some of the bows in the lower upper D (like from Lordville > Callicoon and even down past Damascus) migrate up the river into the WB when the water warms. Others stay, but hang out in lower upper near spring seeps and cooler tribs. I've witnessed this while SMB fishing in the summer.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 6:49

From Butler, Pa
I fished this past weekend on a stream and had to walk 5 miles just to find the pot of stockies

Posted on: 2013/5/22 12:31

From Dauphin PA
Tom,

For years, I could count on getting a bow out of the horsebrook run section of the Beaverkill n the spring. I thought it was random luck but picked off several but nymphing shin deep real fast water.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 22:00

interesting that some stockies move so far,,, if you look at old records, many streams that we now think of as remote wild trout streams were stocked as long as 100 years ago

so stockies were part of the scene

page 60 or so here

http://books.google.com/books?id=-_Jz ... n%20mauch%20chunk&f=false

Posted on: 2013/5/23 6:28

pat: "Yeah, this isn't all that unusual for stocked fish. It would be fairly unusual for wild fish I think."

this old "brook trout in kettle creek and its tributaries" tagging study found that wild brookies moved between pools in particular small tribs, but did not move much between small tribs:

"There is little movement of brook trout from one small tributary to another, but there is considerable short distance movement between pools."

study also showed the brookies grow at different rates in different streams... if they tend to stay in one stream, its food supply probably just shapes their growth rate...

source "brook trout in kettle creek and its tributaries..." authors watts and harvey:

"Report is made of studies conducted to determine (1) feeding habits of brook trout and the available food supply in the streams under observation, (2) their migratory movements in these streams and the relationship of temps. to such movements, and (3) their growth rate in small nursery streams closed to public fishing and also in the important tributary of Kettle Creek, Hammersley Fork, all of which is open to public fishing, and (4) to obtain as much information as possible which would be useful in planning stream management programs. Spawning occurs in Oct. and the first part of Nov. An incomplete fishermen's creel census taken in 1941 gave unmistakable evidence of the importance of natural propagation in Hammersley Fork, for 2,348 native brook trout were captured by fishermen from Apr. 17 to June 20. From Apr. 17 to June 2, 1,034 trout caught by fishermen averaged 7.31 in. in length. Practically all of the fish of legal size stocked in Kettle Creek are caught before they have a chance to migrate up the tributaries. The upstream migration in May becomes most active when water temps. are over 60[degree] F and when rains cause at least some rise in the streams. The downstream fall migration, which is much less than is generally supposed, occurs soon after spawning and particularly when there is a rise of water. There is little movement of brook trout from one small tributary to another, but there is considerable short distance movement between pools. Brook trout > 4 in. long grow at the rate of slightly over an inch a year in the Dr. Green Branch, well over an inch in Hevner's Run, and approx. 2 in. in Trout Run and Hammersley Fork and its tributaries, the Bell and Nelson Branches. Stream management is essential to the max. production of trout in this watershed regardless of the fact that most of these streams possess many natural advantages."

Posted on: 2013/5/23 8:33

From Eastern PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:

Meh. Just an average float for Kramers dad!

Posted on: 2013/5/23 9:32

From Chester County
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

krayfish wrote:

Meh. Just an average float for Kramers dad!

Yup....then he decides what to do after lunch to hit the evening hatch.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 10:33

From Eastern PA
^ lol

Posted on: 2013/5/23 10:54

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com